Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Thunder intake gasget

3K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  barryge 
#1 ·
I know this has been asked before but I got tired of sheaching treads, do you keep the o-rings when you put the thunder intake gasget on the 1700 intake. Or do you take them out I know some have already done this. I'm having the pcv/ign put on next week and I dont want it to be sucking air past the o-rings when they install it. Thanks for any info.

#3 ·
I left mine on as they help to seal. I even got the idea to leave them on from this forum.

#5 ·
I could not find the O-rings where are they located,I looked all over and could not see them.Can you help me out.
Thanks and Merry Christmas
John
They are behind the throttle body. Between the throttle body and the intake port.

#7 ·
NO!! lol They're on the other side of the throttle body. Do you know what that is?

#10 ·
This is the throttle body. The O-rings are behind it.
What are you doing? Are you replacing the O-rings and installing a gasket?

#13 ·
#12 ·
the reason i removed my o-rings i did not use the green replacement gasket thunder sells
i used 1/16" soft tefflon Gore-Gr Expanded-PTFE Flange Gasket Soft, 1/16" Thick, 6" X 6" Sheet www.mcmastercarr.com
my thought on this is the o-ring on the body is letting air through to add that gasket and leave the o-ring in place ?? the gasket i used will sink into all grouves of the face plate removing the problem o-rings.
but the problem is not the o-ring it is the poor bolt pattern of the body.

#15 ·
I think you'll be fine since the gasket you used is 1/16 thick, provided it stays in place. Others in older post said they made their own useing a cork like gaske. After a short time the gasket moved and caused a big leak. He then went with the Thunder gasket.

#16 ·
Did you ruin the gasket?

#18 ·
John,

What everyone has been trying to explain to you is that there are no O-Rings between the BAK Backing Plate (or the stock right side air box) and the Throttle Body Face.

The O-Rings are between the Throttle Body and the Intake Manifold (The Aluminum Y-Shaped structure that feeds into each cylinder). Neither you, nor your mechanic would have removed the Throttle Body to install the BAK.

While no gasket or O-Rings are required between the BAK Backing Plate and the Throttle Body Face, some have used some High Temp Silicone (RTV) at this juncture just to be safe.

Hope this helps!

#20 ·
John,

While putting the Thunder Gasket between the BAK Backing Plate and the Throttle Body face may not cause any problems, it is not designed for that location.

The intake leaks that the 1700 are prone to usually occur between the Throttle Body and the Intake Manifold due to warpage. That is the location that this gasket was designed for...to supplement the O-Rings to create a leak-proof seal.

It is somewhat of a waste of good money to use it in any location other than that for which it was designed.

#21 ·
I took off the intake manifold and the warpage was something else on it and the Throttle body. Milled of .021 to get it flat on intake manifold, and .017 on the throttle body.
I have a hard time thinking just a gasket will fix the problem.
As of now I've done 4 bikes and all were about the same for warpage.
The difference in running is like a new bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.