Which brake lock, or type of protection do you use? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Motorcycle Safety And Riding Gear Discussions

Old 12-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
kingscountynyc

Default Which brake lock, or type of protection do you use?

I can't get my front steering lock to work on my '07 500, so I'm thinking of buying a front brake lock. Do you have any brand that you like or other methods of protection? I rarely leave my bike outside overnight, but there are times when I'm not in the best areas and won't have parking in visibility for a few hours.
kingscountynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
Ron M

Kings,
I would try a kyrptonite style lock for what you need see attached link.
Also, I had a a hard time working my fork look too. Try pushing in the key while turning the handlebar from right to left. It's how it works on my 800 classic, I had to ask here to find out how to work the lock.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OXFORD-MOTOR.../140898975697?

Ron M

Last edited by Ron M; 12-21-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Ron M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Have you tried turning the bars just a smidge toward you? On my 900 it won't lock if the bars are cocked all the way to the left, they have to be almost all the way to the left.

Disc Lock's are popular, I see a lot of people using them. Although, personally, I just stick with the fork lock. If somebody is going to steal a motorcycle, they are probably not going to ride off with it, they will load it into a van or truck or something. I read somewhere that non-sportbike motorcycles were among the least stolen vehicles.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
kingscountynyc

A few times I've spent about 10 - 15minutes messing around with the angle of the fork and pushing in the key and it doesn't seem to want to go. I have a buddy who started with a 500 before upgrading to the 900 and he said he never got it to work either on the 5. At this point it's so frustrating I'm thinking it's best to just buy the brake lock with reminder cable so it's a clear visual to potential thieves that their get away won't be easy.

Thanks Romans for the stats (I'm guessing sports bikes are easier to flip on the underground market than cruisers) and thanks Ron for the link, I was leaning toward the kryptonite lock, but wanted to poll the community first.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Never owned or ridden a 500, so I couldn't tell ya. That's too bad though.

By the way, there is 'case and point'. Skip to about 2:50 in. That's why the sportbikes get stolen so often, they are easy to load up!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
kingscountynyc

wow. I'd never seen video of how it's done. I always imagined it took 4 guys with some pipes to go under the frame, but those two got it in that mini-van quick. Makes me sick to my stomach thinking about going out to find my bike missing
Old 12-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
BigDog

I think have an extra guard dog disklock... PM me and i will send it just cover shipping
BigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
bamadrive

I use a bicycle type cable with a combination lock one it I got from Dollar General for about 5 bucks, I run it through the front rim and around a frame tube to keep the front wheel from turning.

When I'm ready to go I coil it and stick it in a pocket. big advantage is I can run it through a strap on my helmet, and if I want to leave my leather jacket with the bike while I eat or something I run it through a sleeve then offer to lock my buddies helmets up too
bamadrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #9
red_leg

Garage

Kings,
I had the same issue you're having with the fork lock with my 500, it took me so long to figure it out that for the first two months I had the bike, I didn't even try it was so frustrating.

First a healthy coating of wd40, then put the key in the fork lock, turn it counter clockwise until it stops, somewhere around 1 or 2 o'clock, then, while still pushing the key in, rotate the handlebars to the right slowly, once you feel the lock go in deeper (about a half inch) turn the key clockwise while still pushing in. Once the key stops at 3 o'clock, pull it out. Repeat for unlock, and you may need to straighten out the handlebars more than you think for this to work. That was my problem at least. Hope this helps!

'96 Vulcan 500LTD
'08 Vulcan 500LTD (wife's)
red_leg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
kingscountynyc

Thanks Red, really appreciate the advice.

Think I'll go with a full can of wd40 tomorrow and give it a shot! Might be less frustrating when I'm not itching to ride, it's suppose to rain/snow tomorrow so I'll camp out in the garage till I figure it out.

My guess is that the previous owner who bought the bike new in 07 and only put 4,500miles on it in 5 years didn't use the fork lock enough to break it in. Hopefully the wd40 and some practice will get it easier to find the sweet spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement