Swing arm nut covers? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
MachU
Senior Member
 
MachU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 145
Default Swing arm nut covers?

Has anyone found a cover that will actually stay in place and that is reusable to cover the bolt and nut holes in the swing arm? Let me know what u are using, and were we might purchase it.
I purchased a 1-1/2" plug from Home Depot, but it was slightly too large.
MachU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
vivadude
Top Contributor
 
vivadude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York State, midway from NYC to Plattsburg
Posts: 522
Default

Swing arm bolt and nut holes...? do you mean front forks... if so, I used some Finlandia vodka bottles caps trimmed down and attached with a dab of RTV silicone.
vivadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
Comanche
Senior Member
 
Comanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 346
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivadude View Post
Swing arm bolt and nut holes...? do you mean front forks... if so, I used some Finlandia vodka bottles caps trimmed down and attached with a dab of RTV silicone.
No, he's talking about the recessed areas on the lower rear of the frame where the swingarm mounts onto the frame. There are usually caps that cover these areas and they sometimes fall off or break off.
__________________
It ain't about where you live; it's about how you live. So, ride to live, Bruh.
Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
MachU
Senior Member
 
MachU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 145
Default

Comanche, thats exactly what i'm talking about.
I purchased this knockout at HomeDepot 1-1/4" but they are slightly too big, perhaps i will bend the tabs a bit and try again, i figure if i can get these to work and give them a little squirt of flat black then i might not notice the holes so much.
I found that after i installed the Sideburner, that these became highly visible.
I figured someone on here has already done this mod?, guess not?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	knockout closure.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	14617  
MachU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
Sojourner
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Posts: 1,129
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachU View Post
Comanche, thats exactly what i'm talking about.
I purchased this knockout at HomeDepot 1-1/4" but they are slightly too big, perhaps i will bend the tabs a bit and try again, i figure if i can get these to work and give them a little squirt of flat black then i might not notice the holes so much.
I found that after i installed the Sideburner, that these became highly visible.
I figured someone on here has already done this mod?, guess not?
Same issue on my VTX. The cap was missing on the right side. Left side OK. I took an aluminum soft drink can and carved out the bottom, trimming it down to just fit the hole. Used RTV to hold it in place.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
MachU
Senior Member
 
MachU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 145
Default

Good info but I don't believe the vn900 came with anything in that location , or at least I have never seen one with them or any microfiche I have looked at
MachU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
vivadude
Top Contributor
 
vivadude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York State, midway from NYC to Plattsburg
Posts: 522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
No, he's talking about the recessed areas on the lower rear of the frame where the swingarm mounts onto the frame. There are usually caps that cover these areas and they sometimes fall off or break off.
Thanks for setting me straight dude.. I love this forum...........
vivadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
MachU
Senior Member
 
MachU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 145
Default

Thanks, C50T-VN800B, i will have to investigate that site, it looks pretty good.
MachU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
Comanche
Senior Member
 
Comanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 346
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivadude View Post
Thanks for setting me straight dude.. I love this forum...........
Hey Viva. I wasn't trying to accomplish anything except address the problem and solution so I don't want you to think I was directing things personally against you. I like this forum also and I agree with you on that. Motorcycle parts are way too expensive in my opinion and for a piece of plastic it's outrageous to pay at minimum about $15 per cap (shipping included).
__________________
It ain't about where you live; it's about how you live. So, ride to live, Bruh.
Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
vivadude
Top Contributor
 
vivadude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York State, midway from NYC to Plattsburg
Posts: 522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
Hey Viva. I wasn't trying to accomplish anything except address the problem and solution so I don't want you to think I was directing things personally against you. I like this forum also and I agree with you on that. Motorcycle parts are way too expensive in my opinion and for a piece of plastic it's outrageous to pay at minimum about $15 per cap (shipping included).
Comanche, no offense taken at all. Sorry if it sounded that way. I am here to learn or help..
vivadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum