Swing arm nut covers? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 12-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #1
MachU

Default Swing arm nut covers?

Has anyone found a cover that will actually stay in place and that is reusable to cover the bolt and nut holes in the swing arm? Let me know what u are using, and were we might purchase it.
I purchased a 1-1/2" plug from Home Depot, but it was slightly too large.
MachU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
vivadude
Top Contributor

Swing arm bolt and nut holes...? do you mean front forks... if so, I used some Finlandia vodka bottles caps trimmed down and attached with a dab of RTV silicone.
vivadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivadude View Post
Swing arm bolt and nut holes...? do you mean front forks... if so, I used some Finlandia vodka bottles caps trimmed down and attached with a dab of RTV silicone.
No, he's talking about the recessed areas on the lower rear of the frame where the swingarm mounts onto the frame. There are usually caps that cover these areas and they sometimes fall off or break off.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
MachU

Comanche, thats exactly what i'm talking about.
I purchased this knockout at HomeDepot 1-1/4" but they are slightly too big, perhaps i will bend the tabs a bit and try again, i figure if i can get these to work and give them a little squirt of flat black then i might not notice the holes so much.
I found that after i installed the Sideburner, that these became highly visible.
I figured someone on here has already done this mod?, guess not?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	knockout closure.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	14617  
Old 12-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
Sojourner
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachU View Post
Comanche, thats exactly what i'm talking about.
I purchased this knockout at HomeDepot 1-1/4" but they are slightly too big, perhaps i will bend the tabs a bit and try again, i figure if i can get these to work and give them a little squirt of flat black then i might not notice the holes so much.
I found that after i installed the Sideburner, that these became highly visible.
I figured someone on here has already done this mod?, guess not?
Same issue on my VTX. The cap was missing on the right side. Left side OK. I took an aluminum soft drink can and carved out the bottom, trimming it down to just fit the hole. Used RTV to hold it in place.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
MachU

Good info but I don't believe the vn900 came with anything in that location , or at least I have never seen one with them or any microfiche I have looked at
Old 12-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #7
vivadude
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
No, he's talking about the recessed areas on the lower rear of the frame where the swingarm mounts onto the frame. There are usually caps that cover these areas and they sometimes fall off or break off.
Thanks for setting me straight dude.. I love this forum...........
Old 12-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
MachU

Thanks, C50T-VN800B, i will have to investigate that site, it looks pretty good.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivadude View Post
Thanks for setting me straight dude.. I love this forum...........
Hey Viva. I wasn't trying to accomplish anything except address the problem and solution so I don't want you to think I was directing things personally against you. I like this forum also and I agree with you on that. Motorcycle parts are way too expensive in my opinion and for a piece of plastic it's outrageous to pay at minimum about $15 per cap (shipping included).
Old 12-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
vivadude
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
Hey Viva. I wasn't trying to accomplish anything except address the problem and solution so I don't want you to think I was directing things personally against you. I like this forum also and I agree with you on that. Motorcycle parts are way too expensive in my opinion and for a piece of plastic it's outrageous to pay at minimum about $15 per cap (shipping included).
Comanche, no offense taken at all. Sorry if it sounded that way. I am here to learn or help..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement