I can't see! 55/60 vs 80/100 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Old 12-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
chi
Premium Member

Garage
Default I can't see! 55/60 vs 80/100

So looking to change out my headlight and was just wondering on a h4 bulb what kind of feedback I could get on bulb wattage. I would like to go 80/100 but living in SC I don't want to create a problem if the light is too bright since I ride as a 2nd vehicle not just a day rider, so what your opinion?

Sent from my Nexus S
chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Gray Ghost
Top Contributor

Where are you in SC? I'm near Florence.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
big worm
BOTM Winner, December 2013

well i can tell you that a 80w low beam would be illegal just about anywhere in north america....
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter
big worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
chi
Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Where are you in SC? I'm near Florence.
Just a 2 light town called 96 definitely boring to me, originally from Chicago but after 5 or 6 years getting used to the laid back lifestyle down here

Sent from my Nexus S
Old 12-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
chi
Premium Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by big worm View Post
well i can tell you that a 80w low beam would be illegal just about anywhere in north america....
Figured it was but didn't know if it was "noticeably illegal" at night live in a small town and don't want to piss off my neighbors may just go with the kuryakyn blue 55/60. Not too bike savvy on diy wiring so wasn't sure about wiring hid myself and don't have the $ for a good light bar right now

Sent from my Nexus S
Old 12-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Gray Ghost
Top Contributor

Default ninety six

I know what you mean. I grew up in Columbia, the state capital. Company sent me to Florence, which was much smaller back then. Thought they had sent me to Po-Dunk. Then after making friends and settling in, we grew to like the small town atmosphere. Even Florence grew so much that about eight years ago we moved to the country off a secondary highway about five miles west of the I-20/I-95 intersection. Yep, with only two traffic lights I'd say it's a small town. But if you find like minded people to be friends with, that's what matters. We can drive five miles into Timmonsville on 403 where there is only one traffic light, or only one traffic light between us and Hartsville (22 miles away), or five miles into Florence on I-20 before we get to the first traffic light. Would not go back to the city life for anything. Riding the bike in the country is much safer than in town. Love riding the country back roads.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
Kyrocket
Top Contributor

http://www.bkrider.com/bkrider/skuse...000752&parent=

That link is to BKRIDER they have some good deals on bike parts. Most of it is HD specific but stuff like lights and guages will fit with some imagination. I've got a set of automotive 55w driving lights on some homemade brackets, about 45 - $50 in the whole get up and it is a signifigant difference at night. All my bulbs are 55w low beam but the driving lights are much brighter than my headlight. If I redo them I'm getting the ones posted as they can be wired hi and low. For way less than $100 you could have a nice set up. Surely you know someone with some wiring experience? Good luck.
Kyrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
PatC
Lifetime Premium

I just added a light bar with Halogen driving lights. They're twice as bright as the headlight and you can aim them so they light up the road but don't blind oncoming cars.
light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,
detachable hard leather bags,
alarm, power port, clock,
and a cool cupholder
PatC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
IL Vaquero

CHI
I have a 2011 vaquero and tried sevsral lights sylvania ultra was my best choice but now I use a wagner 80/100 bulb. I run high beam all day when riding and low beam is great at nite and nobody flashes their brights at me. There is a motorcycle head light aiming instructions on the web just bing it thats what I used with a tiny bit of adj to soot me. The light has melted nothing and has about 8000miles on it. Hope that helps.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
Ron M

CHI,
I agree with Il Vaquero. I'm using a Wagner 80/100 on my VN800 classic for three months now with no problems. I leave for work at 5 AM and wanted more light and that's what I have now. I was advised by my mechanic that over time it can melt the socket to the bulb but I've read a few post that disagree with that.
This is a post I received when I asked about it look at the difference in brightness good luck.

Ron M

Degreaser
08-19-2012, 08:34
I removed my stock halogen bulb and bought a BikeMaster HID 35 watt bi-xenon hi/low kit, here's a picture below of the parts to the BikeMaster kit. They also have the 55 watt kits

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2148/hidkitparts.jpg

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/2743/hidlowbeam2.jpg
Ron M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement