Oil filter removal - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 12-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
mikecustom900

Default Oil filter removal

I am getting ready to store my 900 and the stock oil filter is stuck on. I have replaced once in the spring of this year and just snugged it on. Has anyone found a good oil filter tool for Kawasaki filters or a good method to break a stuck one? Also what are you guys (or ladies) using as a replacement oil filter? I am going to replace the stock part number one (provided I get this one off) with a Purolator PureOne PL14612. Any thoughts?
mikecustom900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
R_W_B
Top Contributor

The best oil filter removal tools (I've found) for stuck filters is the strap and lever types. They are available at various places and online. If you are in a pinch you can use an old serpintine belt, or any belt or strap that's thin enough to fit between the filter and other surrounding items.

Wrap the strap around the filter and then wrap it around a handle of some sort and rotate (pull) the filter off. Try to get it near the base of the filter or they will colllaspe on you.
R_W_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
mikecustom900

Thanks R_W_B,

I own many types and sizes but have not tried the strap type. This will be my next purchase (probably tomorrow) since I don't have an old belt to use. I hope it works for me. The vulcan 900 doesn't allow much room to get any tool with a lever on it so maybe I will have to try to make one as you stated.

Thanks again.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
MachU

If your looking for something quick and on the cheap, i usually just punture it with a screw driver all the way through and push up, or just squeeze it with a pair of channel locks, if the filter is scrap anyways.
MachU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
mikecustom900

MachU

Thanks, I may end up doing just that if all else fails. There are only so many tools to try. I never had to resort to this tactic but I guess there's a first time for everything. The 900 doesn't offer much room fo rany tools except attaching onto the top. Brackets, frame or sensor block the filter pretty much.

Thanks, may end your way.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
R_W_B
Top Contributor

Mike he's right if you got room to turn the screwdriver that is the easiest. I've had so many applications where there just wasn't enough room to get a screwdriver in there and then turn it.

But either method you use try to get close to base, I've seen um collapse on me where I ended up tearing it literally to pieces before I got it loose.
R_W_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
Vulcan 41

This little tool works real good......A Breeze....

http://www.harborfreight.com/univers...nch-69021.html
Old 12-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecustom900 View Post
I am getting ready to store my 900 and the stock oil filter is stuck on. I have replaced once in the spring of this year and just snugged it on. Has anyone found a good oil filter tool for Kawasaki filters or a good method to break a stuck one? Also what are you guys (or ladies) using as a replacement oil filter? I am going to replace the stock part number one (provided I get this one off) with a Purolator PureOne PL14612. Any thoughts?
I use this spider wrench; especially since it is so small and lightweight. The cheap ones are to be avoided at all costs and it's worth the money to get one that costs more since the tool steel is better, the rubber grips are thicker and the higher end ones are top quality.

https://www.google.com/search?q=spid...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 12-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
mikecustom900

Thanks guys (R_W_B, MachU & Vulcan 41),

I will look into the strap as R_W_B suggested and the Habor Freight tool suggested by Vulcan 41, I have one similar to that one (which Vulcan 41 suggests) but it does not have the rubber grips on the end and it just slips around the end flats of the filter without gripping it. Perhaps this one would be work. I am going to have a great collection of oil filter tools. I only thing that that worries me that I can think of when using the screwdriver through the filter and getting close to the base, is knowing where the protruding block threaded boss ends so that not to damage it.

Appreciate all you responses.

Mike
Old 12-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecustom900 View Post
Thanks guys (R_W_B, MachU & Vulcan 41),

I will look into the strap as R_W_B suggested and the Habor Freight tool suggested by Vulcan 41, I have one similar to that one (which Vulcan 41 suggests) but it does not have the rubber grips on the end and it just slips around the end flats of the filter without gripping it. Perhaps this one would be work. I am going to have a great collection of oil filter tools. I only thing that that worries me that I can think of when using the screwdriver through the filter and getting close to the base, is knowing where the protruding block threaded boss ends so that not to damage it.

Appreciate all you responses.

Mike
Usually approximately half way into the filter and you should be good. Just remember that the further away you are from the threaded inlet the weaker and more flimsy your grip will be. Try putting vacuum caps on the tips of your spider wrench if you have any so that it will grip better. That is why I said the good ones have better rubber tips and they also do not fall off or break off. If not the old trick of a large screwdriver or large channel locks will do the trick and it's quite fun ripping it off to get even with the stubborn thing!
Advertisement