Realistic pricing for a 2013 classic LT? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 12-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
seniorbiker

Default Realistic pricing for a 2013 classic LT?

I am interested in purchasing a 2013 Vulcan 900 classic LT soon. The list price is $9699 plus freight and prep. What would be a reasonable price to pay (or offer) for this bike, out the door, before tax and tags?

Is there a "rule of thumb" on a discount?
seniorbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
RBS2

Garage

You can normally negotiate for the dealer to 'eat' the freight and prep, which would save you about a $1000. Then, if they aren't willing to give you any discounts or negotiate on the price, ask for gear/accessories to be thrown in or discounted. The dealer where my wife bought her Honda Shadow Spirit 750, they ate the freight and prep and give us 10% off all accessories and gear.
  • Memphis Shades Zipper Pouch
  • Kuryakn ISO Grips - Black
  • Cobra Speedster Short Exhaust
  • K&N Air Filter
  • River Road Throw-Overs
  • Highway Bars
  • S&$T eating grins

Last edited by RBS2; 12-07-2012 at 09:07 AM.
RBS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #3
seniorbiker

Thanks, RBS2
Old 12-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
RBS2

Garage

No problem. You could also find a better deal if you could find a leftover 2012 or 2011 sitting around.
  • Memphis Shades Zipper Pouch
  • Kuryakn ISO Grips - Black
  • Cobra Speedster Short Exhaust
  • K&N Air Filter
  • River Road Throw-Overs
  • Highway Bars
  • S&$T eating grins
RBS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
Graybush
Top Contributor

Just my opinion, but I would look for a used one. I got my bike new (as a leftover) but only because I could not find what I was looking for used anywhere close to me. About an hour away from me now there is a 2010 LT with 2500 miles. The seller is asking $6400 and he would probably go lower than that.

Unless you just have to have new I would peruse craigslist and some dealers before dropping that much money. In fact, I just looked at central NJ on craigslist and found a 2011 Vaquero with 1100 miles for $11k which isn't much more than you'll end up paying for that LT. Just some things to think about while doing your shopping.

Last edited by Graybush; 12-07-2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: clarification
Graybush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
ErnieC
Top Contributor

Garage

I am in DFW TX, be interesting to see what they list here for, will let you know
ErnieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
big worm
BOTM Winner, December 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieC View Post
I am in DFW TX, be interesting to see what they list here for, will let you know
Msrp or "list price" is same all over the country....
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter
big worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
seniorbiker

I guess I should have stated in my opening remarks that I am currently riding a 2006 Vulcan 1500 classic set up basically like an LT...black with whitewalls. I am 69 years old and I want to go to a lighter bike to save the legs and knees. This very well could be my last bike so I want the newest available. I will have to negotiate on my trade with the dealer, or sell it outright.......so I need a realistic starting point on the price I could really buy the bike for. I don't want to beat up the local dealer too bad (I'd like him to stay in business because he is the only one within 40 miles of me).....but I don't want to be taken to the cleaners either.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
zippydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorbiker View Post
I guess I should have stated in my opening remarks that I am currently riding a 2006 Vulcan 1500 classic set up basically like an LT...black with whitewalls. I am 69 years old and I want to go to a lighter bike to save the legs and knees. This very well could be my last bike so I want the newest available. I will have to negotiate on my trade with the dealer, or sell it outright.......so I need a realistic starting point on the price I could really buy the bike for. I don't want to beat up the local dealer too bad (I'd like him to stay in business because he is the only one within 40 miles of me).....but I don't want to be taken to the cleaners either.
i bought a 06 Classic with 2800 miles for 3000.00 this year! and then added enough comfort stuff to look as if I had LT status. I have 5000.00 in her and added stuff not necessary like passenger floor boards, chrome add on's..

I would not buy new unless you just want new....deals are out there because well because....
zippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

The 900 market is flooded with used bikes because a lot of people learned on the 900, and promptly traded it in on something bigger. OR, they learned on a 900, decided motorcycling wasn't for them, and turned around and sold it. It is EASY to get a very low miles, excellent condition Vulcan 900 with extras for around $5,000

My bike I bought for $5,000 out the door, it's an LT, it had 8,000 miles on it, and was in pristine condition. It was owned by an older gentleman who wanted to get back into riding, rode it for a couple of years, decided he really needed a trike, so he traded it for a Harley Tri-Glide.

Nothing wrong with new either, but just wanted you to be aware of how excellent the used market is on these bikes. If you want to buy new, as others have said, look into leftover models. My wife just got a 2011 Shadow 750 Aero for about $6800 OTD, and the MSRP I think is about $8500. Nothing changed between '11 and '12. It's a brand new bike, for it for almost 2 grand less than 'current'. Still has the same, full warranty. It's definitely the way to go unless the current model year just has something new you have to have. (Which, in the case of the 900, not really. There were some mild changes with the '13 lineup but, IMO, nothing worth paying extra for. Get a leftover '11 for thousands less, and instead of the new redesigned seat, spend the money on a custom made Russel and STILL be ahead)

Good luck!

-John

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement