starter solenoid question? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 800

Old 12-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
Tony G.

Default starter solenoid question?

I got the 800 all wired etc. guy was complaining of no spark (which is why i got it for so cheap. on the wiring diagram it show battery, starter and 3 other little wires going to the solenoid. My question is the one he had on the bike (brand new) but its a universal and has only one prong (not 3) I see the diagram shows the wires going to White = recifier, brown/yellow = tail light, and yellow and red to junction box. (do i get a factory one or is there a way to use this universal one and not hook wires up. lol i know stupid question but wanna hear the bike run before i dump money into it.
Tony G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
rick
Top Contributor

Garage

If you just want to hear it run, may be able to get away with just hooking up the one for the junction box and be able to start it. The taillight isn't needed to start it, and not sure about the rectifer. Might want to hook it up with junction box wire to see if it starts. Perhaps somebody else has another opinion or advice, but this should let you hear it run.
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
Tony G.

yeah once I hear her run I have no problem putting money into her just hate to buy stupid little things before I know if she runs.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
sfair
Top Contributor

I would buy the correct OEM starter relay, wire it in and go from there. Non-stock wiring modifications can be brutal and cause much tail chasing.
sfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
Tony G.

yeah just had to rewire a lot cuz PO screwed it up and i guess didnt know what soldering and heat shrink was lol. this is the last piece to the puzzle.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony G. View Post
yeah just had to rewire a lot cuz PO screwed it up and i guess didnt know what soldering and heat shrink was lol. this is the last piece to the puzzle.
+1 on OEM one. SMH wondering why the PO put on a universal one.

Is the PO a drug addict? Seriously, it sounds eerily familiar to that type of addictive and substance behavior. He couldn't realistically expect to rewire a factory wired bike without understanding how all the components work together. Get an OEM one and start from there.

When you say cheap how cheap?
Old 12-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
Tony G.

Lol idk if he was a druggie but it did pass through my head when i pulled up to his house to load up the bike. and as said before picked it up for $250 lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement