Anyone ever seen these cuts/splits on Bridgestones? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1600

Old 12-02-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
mooncruiser

Default Anyone ever seen these cuts/splits on Bridgestones?

I have Bridgestone Excedra G721's front and rear, don't have 500 miles on them and then i see this yesterday on my front tire. It looks like the tire is splitting-I don't know how these could be cuts, nothing on the rear tire-they almost go diagonally across the tread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motorcycletireVulcanfront.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	14463   Click image for larger version

Name:	motorcycletireVulcanfront (1).jpg
Views:	100
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	14464   Click image for larger version

Name:	motorcycletireVulcanfront (2).jpg
Views:	102
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	14465   Click image for larger version

Name:	motorcycletireVulcanfront (3).jpg
Views:	94
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	14466  
mooncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 04:23 AM   #2
knightrider

Looks like an odd pattern to split. Do you have any enemies? Lol. I ran over an open pocket knife one time ( I saw it on the road last second) and had a similar cut. But not multiple. I'd take em back to where you bought em and ask there might be a defect or something. Looks to clean of a cut to be dry rot or anything.

Sent from my M865 using Motorcycle.com Free App
knightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:55 AM   #3
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooncruiser View Post
I have Bridgestone Excedra G721's front and rear, don't have 500 miles on them and then i see this yesterday on my front tire. It looks like the tire is splitting-I don't know how these could be cuts, nothing on the rear tire-they almost go diagonally across the tread.
I came across the following Michelin tire information doing research about this very issue. It seems to be common among tire manufacturers but tire manufacturers, tire shops or tire stores never say a word about it to the customer which is bad business practice if you ask me. Perhaps they don't say anything until someone speaks up about it since any wear on a tire will wear out as long as it doesn't exceed tread depth specs for that tire. I wonder if this is what you see and you are experiencing? Other than tire manufacturing defects and road damage I would guess it is the same thing. I have seen the same issue appear on my tires. Since the tires are still relatively new I would go ask where you bought them to ask and find out for sure. Wish you success.

"Pilot Power/Pilot Road Technical Information

Anti Static strip

When a motorcycle is in use there is a build up of static within the machine. It is necessary to ensure that this is dispersed during usage.
In order to facilitate this there is a carbon black strip built into the tyre during manufacture. This strip is moulded into the tyre before curing using carbon, as this is a good conductor of static electricity. This strip is practically invisible on a new tyre, but can appear as the tyre wears, especially if the usage of the motorcycle is not high. There is no detrimental effect on the performance of the tyre either before, during or after this strip has become apparent. The positioning of this groove is slightly ‘off centre’ and can be seen."

Last edited by Comanche; 12-03-2012 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Clarification
Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
mooncruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche View Post
I came across the following Michelin tire information doing research about this very issue. It seems to be common among tire manufacturers but tire manufacturers, tire shops or tire stores never say a word about it to the customer which is bad business practice if you ask me. Perhaps they don't say anything until someone speaks up about it since any wear on a tire will wear out as long as it doesn't exceed tread depth specs for that tire. I wonder if this is what you see and you are experiencing? Other than tire manufacturing defects and road damage I would guess it is the same thing. I have seen the same issue appear on my tires. Since the tires are still relatively new I would go ask where you bought them to ask and find out for sure. Wish you success.

"Pilot Power/Pilot Road Technical Information

Anti Static strip

When a motorcycle is in use there is a build up of static within the machine. It is necessary to ensure that this is dispersed during usage.
In order to facilitate this there is a carbon black strip built into the tyre during manufacture. This strip is moulded into the tyre before curing using carbon, as this is a good conductor of static electricity. This strip is practically invisible on a new tyre, but can appear as the tyre wears, especially if the usage of the motorcycle is not high. There is no detrimental effect on the performance of the tyre either before, during or after this strip has become apparent. The positioning of this groove is slightly ‘off centre’ and can be seen."
I bought the tires from Motorcycle Superstore. Took the tire and wheel in to have a new tire installed, they (Ride Now), said they've seen other tires like this recently and think it's some idiot(s) slicing tires. I worked for Bridgestone a few years ago and it doesn't look like a defect, looks like 3 or 4 swipes with a razor...could have happened anywhere I guess. I can't think of any enemies, just some sick bastard I guess.
mooncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:10 AM   #5
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooncruiser View Post
I bought the tires from Motorcycle Superstore. Took the tire and wheel in to have a new tire installed, they (Ride Now), said they've seen other tires like this recently and think it's some idiot(s) slicing tires. I worked for Bridgestone a few years ago and it doesn't look like a defect, looks like 3 or 4 swipes with a razor...could have happened anywhere I guess. I can't think of any enemies, just some sick bastard I guess.
That sounds possible but over the years I have also seen this on my tires and others' tires as well. I don't think that there could be such a widespread group of razor wielding idiots but then again nothing surprises me when it comes to human behavior. My only question is why didn't they also slice your front tire? Did they slice your rear tire in one incident or over the course of a few because if it were just one incident then how did they get around your tire, fender and chain to slice it?

The "carbon strip" is real and in use according to manufacturers. All I can say is that I keep my eyes on my tires like an eagle searching for prey. If you find anything out that confirms this carbon strip information with your tires please post up again. I also would find Ride Now's explanation questionable if not downright illogical if the "slice" were running around the entire circumference of the tire since the person or persons would have had to either move your bike while it was parked to slice around the entire circumference of the rear tire or continue slicing on different occasions but continue around the rear tire's circumference from where their last "slice" was!

The thing that makes sense with the carbon strip is that it runs outward from centerline or it runs irregularly along centerline but varies according to the manufacturer and what I would assume the design of the tire. Since I am not a tire engineer I am guessing on the reason why some "slices" appear at irregular intervals from centerline outward while other slices seem to be one long continuous one that runs irregularly along centerline or a series of slices that run intermittently and irregularly along centerline.

Last edited by Comanche; 12-04-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #6
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Looks like someone maybe got a bit overzealous with the Stanley knife when unpacking/cutting plastic wrap, banding, et al, off the tires.
whoaru99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #7
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Looks like someone maybe got a bit overzealous with the Stanley knife when unpacking/cutting plastic wrap, banding, et al, off the tires.
That is what I was thinking.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #8
rburton1224

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
That is what it looks like to me as well. I saw guys do this to tires while I was in the military. I always take the packaging off before I have them insatlled. Cut from the inside of the tire.
rburton1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
big worm
BOTM Winner, December 2013

i noticed that this is on a front tire... if you ran over a piece of glass or a piece of sheet and it got caught up inside the fender could do this as well
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter
big worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #10
101stFister

my last rear tire had very similar marks on it. i just assumed it was something i ran over. switched to the bridgestone excedra and all has been good. i did develop a habit of checking the whole tire before each ride
computer thingy

May the road rise to meet you and the wind always be at your back
101stFister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement