Need help in adjusting bike to fit me - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 800

Old 11-30-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
knightrider

Default Need help in adjusting bike to fit me

Hello there. I have a 1998 800 classic I'd like more info on making more comfortable. I'm 6'2",210 pounds. I can ride the bike a good hour in town before I get saddle soar and my hands start going numb. This is true of my other bikes, both crotch rockets. My best luck with the hand thing is some anti vibration grips I found with about 1/4 inch foam pad, but can't find anything like that for the cruiser (or even find the ones I originally bought for the squid) anywhere. Ive heard talk of bar ends, better grips, but don't want to buy 3-4 types to get the right ones. I'm asking about this, and the saddle soar problem because come spring I intend to do a fair share of ride/ camping and am looking to put some real miles on the bike. I haven't felt any back or shoulder pain, and my legs are ok but could stand to be stretched out a bit more. Anyhow, any advice would be helpful

Sent from my M865 using Motorcycle.com Free App
knightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #2
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

I have a pair of gloves with gel pads on the palms (they are good in the summer too, mesh) and that really helps with the vibrations. Kuryakyn ISO grips are also a popular choice. You could also look into bar end weights, which can do a lot to reduce vibration.

As far as the seat, for me and others, the only solution was a new one. Mustang, Corbin, and Russel are the most popular brands around here. A new saddle goes a long way if you intend to pile the miles on...

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
rick
Top Contributor

Garage

I use fringe covers on my brake, clutch, and grips that are about 1/8 inch thick that isolate some of the vibration from my hands, but to be honest, has never been a real problem for me until I've been riding for hours, plus I like the fringe and how much bigger the grips feel. If fringe isnt your thing, I've heard good things about the ISO grips. I have Mustang 2pc seat on mine, and I've done up to 750 miles in a day on it. There are several threads on here about forward control extentions that are easy to make. Was one a few days ago that shows a diagram of how to make them in 2,3 or 4 inch forward. A highwayway bar and pegs can also give you a little stretchout room once you get going, plus lets you move your feet to a different position for awhile, that really helps me.
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
knightrider

Yea. I've had problems with my hands due to work (aircraft mechanic) a lot of air tools, a lot of forming metals, etc. Even running a dotcos (90 degree sander) I have to wear impact gloves. Ill check out these options thanks guys.

Sent from my M865 using Motorcycle.com Free App
knightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
XCR600
Top Contributor

I put some Kury long horn pegs on my down tubes and being able to change your riding position while rolling helps relieve fatigue for me. I also put some Baron risers on , between the 2 that gave me much more relaxed cruising position's to stretch out some times or sit up both while being comfortable doing it.

I like the Kurys because there vary adjustable, I'm not sure after these changes how much difference a seat would make for me as my comfort / cruising range really increased doing this.

I've heard of filling your handle bars with buckshot to reduce vibration also, never tried it though.
Jardine Rack
Kuryakyn Dually pegs
Baron Risers
Kuryakyn ISO grips
Kuryakyn long horn hwy pegs
Wille&Max saddle bags
XCR600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement