What do you think of this? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1500

Old 11-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
Snaxer

Default What do you think of this?

Now into my Second year of riding, I just sold my 2005 Vulcan Classic 800 and have my sights on a 2008 Vulcan 1500 Classic.

Besides the appreciable size, handling and power difference,
what else will I notice?
How is the OEM seat?
Any thoughts on the price and value?
… 2008 Vulcan Classic 1500 with 3800 miles. Garaged, windscreen and bags for $5500.

With the low miles on the 2008,
should I look at anything in particular when inspecting and riding the bike?

Many thanks.
Snaxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
PatC
Lifetime Premium

1) The stock seats on these bikes blow. You will likely notice it on a ride lasting longer than a half hour. I got rid of mine, got a Mustang Wide touring seat and never looked back.

2) if the bike is an '08 with only 3800 miles, I'd want to know how long it has sat at a time and how the fuel was treated and how it was winterized if you live in cold weather.

3) You may need a new battery soon if it hasn't been hooked up to a tender. MC batteries usually last 4-5 years if they haven't been maintained.

4) Check the rubber for rot cracks.

Other than that, it sounds like a good deal; I assume it's all stock with the fuel/air/exhaust?
light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,
detachable hard leather bags,
alarm, power port, clock,
and a cool cupholder
PatC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Snaxer

Pat, Good advice. Everything else is stocked... Thanks!
Snaxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
reddyford
Top Contributor

Garage

Wow, déjà vu. If you click on my garage (under avatar) you'll see that my last two Vulcans are the same as yours. The 1500 handles better in stiff winds but is clumsy in low speed turns. Both are close in the quarter mile, however, the 1500 has more power riding 2 up. These are pretty obvious observations. I kept my stock seat and find no numbness under about a couple of hours.

I think the price is reasonable. The ease of starting and maintenance with the FI is a plus. Just the sheer size and sound is impressive to bystanders and tweaks that big boy status. Your going to have to be smart when parking cause backing up is much harder and the side stand sinks in dirt more than the 800.

At 3800 miles there isn't much wear and tear to be concerned with. I would ask the PO if any of the fluids have been flushed (brakes, clutch & coolant). People usually lie, so you might wait to after the sale as not to pressure him. I would flush these ASAP as the bike is nearing 5 years.

Good luck and you'll love the 1500...I do!!
reddyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
Murphy

Great find.
The 1500 is a fantastic bike
Old 11-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
ragincajun

That's a pretty awesome price. I've been looking for a 1500 or 1600 and they are all in the 6000-7500 range in my neck of the woods. And most with much higher mileage than that. I looked at an '05 with 40k and they wanted 6400.
ragincajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
Murphy

Hey Ragin...Did you get the 1600?
Old 11-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
ragincajun

Nope. Passed on it, too many comments about the mileage gave me buyers remorse so I backed out on the deal. Looking at one now, trying to get the seller closer to my price. Also looking at a Valkyrie which surprised me..lol.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
R-man
Top Contributor

Sounds like a great bike. Just one thing to consider is what you are buying it for. If shorter rides & day rides mostly, you will be happy. If you are riding with other folks and ride some longer trips, you will get annoyed at having to gas up every 100 to 120 miles. Not that you won't be ready to take a stretch, but it gets old having to do that break at a gas station every time. (this is assuming your tank capacity and mileage is about the same as my 2004 (4.2 gallons total, about 3.2 gallons before I hit the reserve tank, and around 40 MPG average).

If you can carry an extra gallon of gas with you in a saddlebag or something, and milk everything out of the reserve tank without the fear of running out, it is not so bad.
Custom made luggage rack, Windshield & Lowers
Saddlebags, Passenger floorboards,
Passenger armrests
R-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
ragincajun

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-man View Post
Sounds like a great bike. Just one thing to consider is what you are buying it for. If shorter rides & day rides mostly, you will be happy. If you are riding with other folks and ride some longer trips, you will get annoyed at having to gas up every 100 to 120 miles. Not that you won't be ready to take a stretch, but it gets old having to do that break at a gas station every time. (this is assuming your tank capacity and mileage is about the same as my 2004 (4.2 gallons total, about 3.2 gallons before I hit the reserve tank, and around 40 MPG average).

If you can carry an extra gallon of gas with you in a saddlebag or something, and milk everything out of the reserve tank without the fear of running out, it is not so bad.
Speaking about the 1600 or the Valk? Most of my riding will be day trips. I have a couple of routes that I use that go between 100 and 300 miles depending on where I go. With the Valk, I may plan a longer Iron Butt run that I've discussed with a friend in Chicago.

Last edited by ragincajun; 11-21-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement