What's the difference - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 500

Old 11-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Bokobob

Default What's the difference

Perhaps a dumb question, but here goes..

What is the difference between a 2001 vulcan EN 500 and a
2001 Vulcan EN 500C LTD?

I am asking because a vendor's site says a certain windshield will fit on the EN 500C LTD but will not fit on the EN 500....tried to call and clarify but after half an hour wait I hung up..I googled the two names for images and came up with the same photos for both...I googled on specs of both and did not find enough info to clarify..

Thank you.

Bob
Bokobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
peruano

Bob, I may be wrong, but that may have been the year they switched from the old style en500 to the Ltd. Differences ranged from belt drive to chain, gauges in cans versus in gas tank, and other subtle diffs. I know that hwy bars etc will not shift from one to the other - I'm just guessing that the 2001 was the year in which both were produced (or at least sold). Someone will chastise me if I'm guessing wrong. Tom

I guessed wrong see the correction of 1996 as the transition year. For those who want to see year to year comparisons see the following link. http://www.bikepics.com/kawasaki/en500/

Last edited by peruano; 11-12-2012 at 06:21 PM.
peruano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
bikerbill
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokobob View Post

What is the difference between a 2001 vulcan EN 500 and a
2001 Vulcan EN 500C LTD?
Bob,

The 500C & 500LTD are the same machine. The changeover happened in '96 when both the 'A' model (1990-1996) and the 'C' model (1996-2009) were available. Since then only the 'C' model was produced and, sadly, was discontinued after the '09 model.
170,000+ miles so far
VROC #3833
IronButt #6024
Levelland, TX

SlipStreamer Enterprise II, Vista Cruise,
Fiamm air horns, Cobra Spots, Drifter solo seat,
Pro-Tac backrest, 17/42 sprockets, Darkside rear,
ScottOiler, F&S luggage rack ,Throttle Rocker,
Viking bags, Victory Vegas handlebars,
Kuryakyn grips, LED & HID lighting,
4-gal AUX fuel tank

http://bikerbillsvulcan500rebuild.shutterfly.com/
bikerbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
Bokobob

Default many thanks and now I got it

Bikerbill,
Thanks for your good research...I stumbled onto similar info at the site where the windshield is offered:

http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/900174002/

So, not knowing the difference between the two models, I keyed in 2001 Kawa EN 500 as the bike for which I wanted the windshield adn the info returned to me was that the windshield does nto fit the 2001 EN 500 (and for good reason,as it was phased out in 96, as you pointed out.)

Anyway, the windshield I am researching for my 01 EN500C LTD is the Slipstreamer spirit, as can be viewed at the link above...

If anyone is using this windshield, please tell me how you like it and how effective it is for you..;

Thanks,

Bob
Old 11-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Bokobob

Default New windshield on order

Ok, and after more digging and research including a call to the Slipstreamer home office, I learned what I needed to know, and have ordered a Slipstreamer Spirit from Chromeworld.com delivered via ups for $175...There were other sites a little cheaper, but I went with Chromworld because the Slipstreamer people mentioned they are reliable, fast and prices reasonable...

FYI: I learned that Slipstreamer windshlelds come with the hardware needed, adn the hardware of the three or four models I looked into is the same for every application...the thing I found out is that the only thing a buyer needs to do is the check the "fitment" list of bikes that a given model fits and then order it...the hardware is universal...

I bought a nice, used windshield last week and it is in fine condition, but it does not block enough of the wind to my satisfaction...It is narrower and not very tall...

Regards,

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement