97 800 Classic Running Hot! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 800

Old 11-12-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
DBallin69

Default 97 800 Classic Running Hot!

So me and my wife decided to go for a ride on the bike yesterday, beautiful day about 65 degrees out. Rode bike about 30 min with no problems. Had a pizza and a couple of beers so bike sat for about an hour and a half. Left there rode about 15 min, had another beer so bike sat about 20 min. Left there bike was running fine but about after 30 min the bike started popping on the low end and wasnt taking off very well at all. I am assuming the bike was running hot. Light never came on, not sure if its working or not. The electric fan is working, coolant is good I had checked it the day before. Bike has straight pipes, K&N with a jet kit and thats about all for mods. My plugs to me look a little lean. Probably gonna take off EPA stuff today and adjust my carb a little. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
DBallin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
74rider

Default Popping

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBallin69 View Post
So me and my wife decided to go for a ride on the bike yesterday, beautiful day about 65 degrees out. Rode bike about 30 min with no problems. Had a pizza and a couple of beers so bike sat for about an hour and a half. Left there rode about 15 min, had another beer so bike sat about 20 min. Left there bike was running fine but about after 30 min the bike started popping on the low end and wasnt taking off very well at all. I am assuming the bike was running hot. Light never came on, not sure if its working or not. The electric fan is working, coolant is good I had checked it the day before. Bike has straight pipes, K&N with a jet kit and thats about all for mods. My plugs to me look a little lean. Probably gonna take off EPA stuff today and adjust my carb a little. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Popping on low rpms'? I had that a past bike, but it was because I left the choke on. Could that be? Or maybe air cleaner clog, not enough air? Then I had a situation where it was running very lean and it would pop in high rpms. That was because I opened up the air intake.
74rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
DBallin69

Default wow

My choke won't stay out so I know that wasn't problem. Clean air cleaner and filter all the time. I'm very anal when it comes to maintenance. Grampsized the bike yesterday, removed all the emissions stuff, and today rejetted and put it all back together. Wow can't believe the difference, bike hauls ass. Went from a 130/48 jetting to a 170/50 and can't believe difference on test ride. Still gotta adjust carb a little. Think I have it 1.5 turns out. I amd pretty sure if you turn screw out adds more air and in adds more gas. Do you know for sure?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
VN800E

Quote:
My choke won't stay out so I know that wasn't problem. Clean air cleaner and filter all the time. I'm very anal when it comes to maintenance. Grampsized the bike yesterday, removed all the emissions stuff, and today rejetted and put it all back together. Wow can't believe the difference, bike hauls ass. Went from a 130/48 jetting to a 170/50 and can't believe difference on test ride. Still gotta adjust carb a little. Think I have it 1.5 turns out. I amd pretty sure if you turn screw out adds more air and in adds more gas. Do you know for sure?
Adjusting mixture screw out adds more fuel to match the increased air flow from grampsizing. Please let us know your fuel mileage after the mods.
VN800E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
Phil in Maine

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN800E View Post
Adjusting mixture screw out adds more fuel to match the increased air flow from grampsizing. Please let us know your fuel mileage after the mods.
Specifically it adds more fuel at idle and slightly off idle.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
VN800E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in Maine View Post
Specifically it adds more fuel at idle and slightly off idle.

Ok, sorry for my vagueness. ��
Old 11-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
VN800E

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN800E View Post
Ok, sorry for my vagueness. ��
My smiley face didn't show up. Still trying to figure out this fancy new phone!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
Phil in Maine

Garage

I just figured I would be more specific because people get all confused when it comes to carbs.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #9
DBallin69

Default mpg

Sure will, need to turn mixture screw out to prob 2.5 abd. I think ill be good.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:46 AM   #10
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Sure will, need to turn mixture screw out to prob 2.5 abd. I think ill be good.
@Phil.........If that's the problem that sounds about right to me.

@DBallin..............Let her rip dude because you have it wound down too lean @ 1.5. Most people start at about 2 after doing what you did to the carb and airbox and work their way out from there. Of course, if you are as "detailed" as you say you are when it comes to maintenance then you will do best to fully check your plugs also when you fine tune your carb while running it.

Last edited by Comanche; 11-15-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement