Proficient Motorcycling... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > New Riders

Old 11-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
RobLaidBack

Default Proficient Motorcycling...

I have dealt with Carpal Tunnel in both my hands for the past 15yrs or so. For the longest time I would awake in the mornings with my hands locked in that claw position. They always loosened up by time I would get to work though so I could punish them some more lol. Well when I got my bike and began riding her, my hands would go numb within the first 5 miles, every time. Partly from me not knowing how to ride and trying to muscle the bike, partly nerves from those cars that don't know how to keep it in their lane. Yesterday was nice here in Dallas, and I had the day off. I shined up the bike and went for a ride through town. The mix master, the canyon, construction row on 635, over through Ft Worth, then back across 20. I wasn't paying attention to the mileage but I would guesstimate around 100 miles total. Well to my surprise, my hands didn't go numb not one time. My very first "enjoyable" ride. It was like I was a kid again riding my bicycle around my hometown in NC. I have been reading the book PROFICIENT MOTORCYCLING and doing the exercises in the nearby school parking lot and maybe my confidence level has risen a bit. I don't feel as if I am out there just winging it anymore. And guess what, I didn't have that Death Grip on the grips yesterday lol. Knowledge is power, but getting out there and Applying that knowledge, that's powerful. Plus it gives my Carpal Tunnel a break and keeps the blood flowing in my hands lol. I am still a new rider, but I am learning... My name is RobLaidBack and I'm becoming more proficient. Thanks for letting me share

"The true Man wants two things, danger and play. Therefore he chooses woman, the most dangerous plaything."... Nietzsche
RobLaidBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Gaining skill and confidence is great!
Just make sure it is in that order. LOL!

I have been riding just over a year now and have about 13k miles under my belt. I still consider myself wet behind the ears.
I have heard a lot of people warn about getting confident early and taking a few things for granted.
Every now and again I have a moment of that "This is EASY" feeling. Every time I get that; I purposely slow it down for a few days. If it is confidence based in skill then great! If it is misplaced confidence; then maybe the life I save is my own!
I still like to get out on the back roads and push myself a little though; just not around the cagers.

Scott

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Scott_in_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

There is nothing wrong with pushing your self. Just do it reasonably. If we did not push our ability we would not get any better just more confident it what we can do. Just like it dose not hurt to grab a foot board or 2 in a curve so that you know what it is and feels like so you don't freak out and lift the bike up and off the road but that will come later. You have to learn what you can handle before you learn what your bike can handle. I have been riding for about 9 years now and I keep learning stuff all the time. You just have to keep your mind open to good advise and keep a realistic view of your abilities.
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
SWVA_08V2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
Graybush
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWVA_08V2k View Post
There is nothing wrong with pushing your self. Just do it reasonably. If we did not push our ability we would not get any better just more confident it what we can do. Just like it dose not hurt to grab a foot board or 2 in a curve so that you know what it is and feels like so you don't freak out and lift the bike up and off the road but that will come later. You have to learn what you can handle before you learn what your bike can handle. I have been riding for about 9 years now and I keep learning stuff all the time. You just have to keep your mind open to good advise and keep a realistic view of your abilities.
Absolutely. I avoid telling people, "Never ride outside your abilities!" because if you don't you'll never get any better. I'm not saying you should treat every road like a drag strip or a track, but you have to do some things that make you uncomfortable if you want to learn.

Shortly after getting licensed, I went on a group ride (my first), on rented bikes, somewhere I'd never been. I was nervous the whole time but I learned a lot about riding and group riding and I'm glad I did it.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybush View Post
Absolutely. I avoid telling people, "Never ride outside your abilities!" because if you don't you'll never get any better. I'm not saying you should treat every road like a drag strip or a track, but you have to do some things that make you uncomfortable if you want to learn.

Shortly after getting licensed, I went on a group ride (my first), on rented bikes, somewhere I'd never been. I was nervous the whole time but I learned a lot about riding and group riding and I'm glad I did it.
I remember the first time I took a curve faster than what I THOUGHT I could handle. (And at that time it was not fast all) I went in to "survival mode" and leaned that bike down and took the curve and realized, "Wow that was not bad at all". Now in that same curve I ride faster in it now than I did that time but it was scary for me that time.

You just have to do those uncomfortable things in a controlled environment and don't go from learning to shift to riding 2up with a loaded trailer.
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
RobLaidBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post

I have been riding just over a year now and have about 13k miles under my belt. I still consider myself wet behind the ears.
I have heard a lot of people warn about getting confident early and taking a few things for granted.
Every now and again I have a moment of that "This is EASY" feeling. Every time I get that; I purposely slow it down for a few days. If it is confidence based in skill then great! If it is misplaced confidence; then maybe the life I save is my own!
I still like to get out on the back roads and push myself a little though; just not around the cagers.

Scott
Scott i know what you mean, everything in it's own time. A wise man told me once "now you know enough to get yourself killed" lol, so i remain cautious. I just have a different understanding and awareness of the bike now. Now I feel, when the opportunity presents itself, that I can use what I am learning instead of the situation freaking me out

"The true Man wants two things, danger and play. Therefore he chooses woman, the most dangerous plaything."... Nietzsche
Old 11-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLaidBack View Post
Scott i know what you mean, everything in it's own time. A wise man told me once "now you know enough to get yourself killed" lol, so i remain cautious. I just have a different understanding and awareness of the bike now. Now I feel, when the opportunity presents itself, that I can use what I am learning instead of the situation freaking me out
Yep! Skill and confidence is a great thing.

Scott

Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.
Scott_in_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
RobLaidBack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWVA_08V2k View Post
I remember the first time I took a curve faster than what I THOUGHT I could handle. (And at that time it was not fast all) I went in to "survival mode" and leaned that bike down and took the curve and realized, "Wow that was not bad at all". Now in that same curve I ride faster in it now than I did that time but it was scary for me that time.

You just have to do those uncomfortable things in a controlled environment and don't go from learning to shift to riding 2up with a loaded trailer.
Speaking of riding 2up... I had my 6yr old son with me. He had been asking and asking for a ride. Dad only had a couple weeks in the seat at this point, but I said ok lets ride. Was at a busy intersection and went to turn right on red, and almost dropped me AND him off in the middle of the turn. Talk about a Oh Shyt moment. I still don't know what other than the Man upstairs that kept that bike from falling because she was going down fast lol. Needless to say I rode solo for a while after that. I have gotten to the point I will ride him and Wifey around the neighborhood, but that's about it for now

Old 11-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLaidBack View Post
Speaking of riding 2up... I had my 6yr old son with me. He had been asking and asking for a ride. Dad only had a couple weeks in the seat at this point, but I said ok lets ride. Was at a busy intersection and went to turn right on red, and almost dropped me AND him off in the middle of the turn. Talk about a Oh Shyt moment. I still don't know what other than the Man upstairs that kept that bike from falling because she was going down fast lol. Needless to say I rode solo for a while after that. I have gotten to the point I will ride him and Wifey around the neighborhood, but that's about it for now
That is probably a good idea, got to know how to handle it by your self before you add another on it. Also if they are interested in riding with you (I have my wife the same speech) tell them to sit against the sissy bar and move with it. I am driving this bike and I do not need your help in doing so, so do lean for or against me. Keep your feet on the peg and your butt still. If you need to move ya butt or feet let me know first and I will tell you when it is ok. After a while you will be in tune with each other and it will become easier. Just don't make the passenger uneasy or tense you will be able to tell in the handling of the bike.

I take my 4 year old up the road and back but its just literally up a 1 lane dead end county back road and I am the next to last house on it.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #10
Kinnally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post

Scott
Wow Scott, 13000 in one year? That's logging a few miles. Riding is one of the best ways to get better. I would suggest to anyone looking to get better is to take a MSF foundation course.
Kinnally is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement