buyina a new bike - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > New Riders

Old 11-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
ELSAPHIL1979

Default buyina a new bike

has any one ever bought a new bike out of state and had it shipped to the dealer or your home any info would help like transfer title smog ect ty
ELSAPHIL1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

My bike had a Florida title when I bought it. I live in Missouri. No big deal just take the title to the DMV, signed, along with a bill of sale and whatever else your state requires (insurance and property tax receipts in my case), same as usual. Got a Missouri title in the mail a few weeks later. Got the bike inspected when I got tags put on it, MO doesn't do smog testing on motorcycles, so you'll have to check with your state.

The only difference would be if you live in California. If that's the case, you'll likely need a California model.

If the bike is stock and in good condition, it shouldn't have a problem passing inspection in all 49 states (except California, which is a special model, in order to be '50 state' compatible). If it has been modified (such as debaffling, aftermarket pipes, etc.) check with your local dealer or shop that does inspections, they can tell you.

If the bike is new, as in BRAND new, then you will get a certificate of origin, not a title, which is good at your DMV to apply for a title. It will also not likely even need to be inspected. In MO, bikes don't have to be inspected until they are 5 years old.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Old Bear
Lifetime Premium

While I didn't have my Vaquero shipped in, I went out of state to buy it, loaded it onto my truck and "shipped" it home myself. You should not have to pay any remote taxes and fees, which makes the initial price look great! BUT, to register the bike back home, you will have to pay all of those LOCAL taxes and fees, and you will not be able to roll those into any financing you may have done on the bike. The exception to that is if you financed it locally and just took a check to the out-of-state dealer. Texas put a 60-day temp tag on the bike for me, which was great, as that gave me a month to save up the money I needed for the sales and wheel taxes, plus registration and licensing fees in Tennessee. That was my experience.
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
colemantle
Top Contributor

I bought mine from a dealer in FL and had it shipped to Missouri to my home. Where I live you don't have to pay local sales tax if purchased from a dealer out of state. And everything Romans said in the above is true.
colemantle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
ELSAPHIL1979

thanks for all the info and yea ca i like that no sales tax fat chance he in san diego thanks a bunch everyone
ELSAPHIL1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Romans5.8 summed it up well. I have bought several bike and other vehicles from "out of state" since I live 30minutes to an hour away from 4 different states other than VA (the one I live in). Just be prepared to pay your sales tax and have title and/or BOS (depending on what your state requires).
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
SWVA_08V2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
rick
Top Contributor

Garage

I bought my bike in W. Va. brand new. Since I lived in Ohio at the time, they didnt charge me sales tax on it. I loaded the bike on a truck and took it home. The next day got my insurance and a 30 day tag for it. Went to get the title and regular plates the next week and found out I had to pay almost $750 for my plates because I had to pay the sales tax in Ohio in order to register it. If I remeber right, the tags and title would normally be about $40 total.
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
I bought my bike in W. Va. brand new. Since I lived in Ohio at the time, they didnt charge me sales tax on it. I loaded the bike on a truck and took it home. The next day got my insurance and a 30 day tag for it. Went to get the title and regular plates the next week and found out I had to pay almost $750 for my plates because I had to pay the sales tax in Ohio in order to register it. If I remeber right, the tags and title would normally be about $40 total.
That's how I've always done it with every vehicle I've ever bought. Dunno if it's just me or the places I go or what. But I've always had to pay sales tax at the DMV. In Missouri, it doesn't matter if it's used or new, private party or dealer, etc. etc. His questions were about transferring the title, I'm not sure how taxes work when buying out of state. However I would assume that you would pay taxes in YOUR municipality. I bought my bike in St.Charles, MO, but I didn't pay a penny in taxes to them, or their county. I paid taxes to the state, to my county, and to my municipality. On my $5,000 bike it worked out to be about $700, plus the title fees, tags, etc. Not cheap!

Seems convuluted to me. To me, it makes more sense to pay taxes in the place the item was purchased, and to pay those taxes at the point of sale. You know, like every other thing in the world you buy. But, at least here, that's not the case. If the dealer does roll your taxes into the paperwork, they pay them to YOUR municipality in Missouri. Missouri law says that wherever the vehicle will spend 51% or more of it's time, is where the taxes should be paid. (So, if I bought a boat, but stored it at Tablerock lake 4 hours away, I'd pay taxes DOWN THERE! Dontcha just love it?)

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
rick
Top Contributor

Garage

When I moved to Ga. from Ohio, I paid the title tranfer fees and got my Ga. plate. Think it cost me around $45 total. When it came time to renew my plates, cost me $48 I believe. Here you pay tax at the time you renew based on the value of the vehicle. When I tranfered, there was no tax charges.
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement