Chain and sprocket change - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 800

Old 11-01-2012, 04:24 AM   #1
Keithdb

Default Chain and sprocket change

Well, I am about to take on a chain and sprocket change on my 05 800 Classic. I have not done this before. I need all the advice I can get. Please help. How difficult is it? Any tricks to it? Thanks!

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App
Keithdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Probably should change the front sprocket too if that wasn't in the original plan.

I prefer and use only rivet master links, but many use the clip style. If you use the clip style it's my understanding you want to put the clip so the closed end points the same direction as the chain moves.
whoaru99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
Keithdb

Thanks for that info. But I need tips about the front sprocket. I am a little concerned about what happens when I take the cover off.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com Free App
Keithdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
davemn

Take the cover off. Use a socket and an air impact wrench. Put the bike in gear and put the rear brake on tightly. Let it rip. Should come right off. Its NOT a reverse thread nut. Normal thread. Good luck.
davemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
griffjo

A clip type master link is OK, but a rivet type is better (read stronger).

However, EK now makes a "screw-type" Master Link that is as strong as a rivet & doesn't require a rivet tool that you only need every 30,000 miles. Just an 8mm wrench - it was easy and foolproof.

At around 8,000 miles I swapped the OEM 17/42 sprockets with a set of 18/40's. OEM 112 link chain still fit fine and got a nice 10% RPM drop. Best mod I've done.

2003 Vulcan® 800 Classic - Pearl Mystic Black
National Cycle Custom Heavy-Duty Windshield
Mustang Two-Piece Wide Vintage Touring Saddle
Volar SissyBar/Backrest - K&N Air Filter
Viking Quarter Circle SaddleBags & SissyBar Bag
Scootworks Sprockets (18/40 - 2.222:1 ratio)
Baron 3" Bullet Tachometer - Engine Guard (black gloss finish)
Michelin COMMANDER II front 130/90-16 73H, rear 140/90-16 77H
EK X-Ring Chain, Deer Warning Whistles & BackOFF® Brake Module
griffjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
XCR600
Top Contributor

The front sprocket has a washer under the nut , it will be bent over one side of the nut to lock it . You will first need to bend that edge flat before you try to remove the nut. A hammer & punch should work for this. This nut can be quite stubborn by the way. Don't worry about the cover , one fastener and it slides out , it's just a cover so nothing is going to fall out or become disengaged.
Jardine Rack
Kuryakyn Dually pegs
Baron Risers
Kuryakyn ISO grips
Kuryakyn long horn hwy pegs
Wille&Max saddle bags

Last edited by XCR600; 11-07-2012 at 06:40 AM.
XCR600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
red_leg

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by C50T-VN800B View Post
If it's a riveted chain you will have to grind the rivets off the front of the chain facing you. If it is a clip type you will have to remove the master link.
If its an endless chain like the stock one, you can also use bolt cutters if you have no other tools for breaking the chain. Just wear some eye protection when you do as this isn't the safest way to do this.

'96 Vulcan 500LTD
red_leg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
Bear2123
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemn View Post
Take the cover off. Use a socket and an air impact wrench. Put the bike in gear and put the rear brake on tightly. Let it rip. Should come right off. Its NOT a reverse thread nut. Normal thread. Good luck.
There is a wave type locking washer holding the nut. Flatten it out away from the nut as flush as you can get it before attempting to remove the nut.
Bear2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
rick
Top Contributor

Garage

Just thought of good tip. When putting cover back on over front sprocket, the rubber "seal" can be a pain. Put it on the stator cover then carefully slip the sprocket cover back into place. This can be easier if you remove the side cover.
rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
foxbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffjo View Post
I swapped the OEM 17/42 sprockets with a set of 18/40's. OEM 112 link chain still fit fine and got a nice 10% RPM drop. Best mod I've done.
Same here, best thing I have done.
While you have it apart it is very quick and easy to change the front sprocket, and you will notice a huge difference at highway speeds. The only trouble I had was with the rear sprocket, it required a little persuasion to get it off the hub.

As for master links, I prefer clip type. I always had clip links on dirt bikes for years and put them through a lot of abuse, never had one fail. Also, I think most crotch rockets use clip type, that is quite a bit of torque on some of those bikes.
foxbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement