What do you think caused this?? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Wheels and Tires

Old 10-30-2012, 10:40 AM   #1
xringer

Default What do you think caused this??

Fellow riders:

I put a set of Pirelli's on 3000 miles ago on my Vulcan 500. I took the front tire off yesterday to put a new tube in cuz it's loosing 5 lbs. a week. (tube is 7 years old.) I noticed this on the tire, and is/on several places on the front tire as well on the rear tire. What do you think caused this? When I have the tube replaced I'm going to ask if it's safe to run these tires.

Thanks, Dan
xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Joelg

Garage

Battery acid?? It doesn't look like heat, or anything normal. I'd think it was chemical one way or another.

Joel
Old 10-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
xringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelg View Post
Battery acid?? It doesn't look like heat, or anything normal. I'd think it was chemical one way or another.

Joel
Thanks Joel.............but I don't see any leaking around the battery, or the tube that leads down. I put some of that tire foam about a month ago and did'nt notice it then. I can't imanage tire foam would do that. Crazy thing is it's on both tires, & both sides.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Papa Smrph

Ok, I know you are going to want to put me in a rubber room. But what about a critter. Mouse or Chipmonk, something like that. We had a travel trailer a few years ago and one weekend we get to the park and I turn on the propane. Start hearing gas escaping. Follow the hose to an area where some little critter had chewed a hole. Did not cover a big area, but managed to nip the center. The picture looks like mostly "thick scratches" in a generally up and down direction. When I replaced the propane hose the guy told me it happens enough that he was not suprised. Seems like there must be some "smell" that attracts the critter and they chew away. Who knows somebody may have worked on your bike right after lunch of something.
Anyway, don't know but a close look may be able to determine melting rubber (chemical) versus removed rubber (mechanical or dental). Good luck
Flashing Tail Light
Wolo Bad Boy Air Horn
Kick-back Risers
Custom GPS Holder
Papa Smrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
MN-Rider
Administrator

Garage

You need a gremlin bell real bad!
MN-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
DESERT ANGEL

I would think the nipples would be gone by 3000 miles it still looks new

my guess looks like a hot soldering iron

or if tacky bad production rubber not cured right

I think tires are not afected by most chemicals

good luck
Old 10-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
xringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smrph View Post
Ok, I know you are going to want to put me in a rubber room. But what about a critter. Mouse or Chipmonk, something like that. We had a travel trailer a few years ago and one weekend we get to the park and I turn on the propane. Start hearing gas escaping. Follow the hose to an area where some little critter had chewed a hole. Did not cover a big area, but managed to nip the center. The picture looks like mostly "thick scratches" in a generally up and down direction. When I replaced the propane hose the guy told me it happens enough that he was not suprised. Seems like there must be some "smell" that attracts the critter and they chew away. Who knows somebody may have worked on your bike right after lunch of something.
Anyway, don't know but a close look may be able to determine melting rubber (chemical) versus removed rubber (mechanical or dental). Good luck

Papa....I wish it were a critter, like a mouse or Chipmonk..lol....but I don't see and "teeth marks" or claw marks...no mouse or Chipmonk dropings either.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
xringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERT ANGEL View Post
I would think the nipples would be gone by 3000 miles it still looks new

my guess looks like a hot soldering iron

or if tacky bad production rubber not cured right

I think tires are not afected by most chemicals

good luck
Desert........the nipples are on the side of the tires where I don't ride much..lol....but your right it does look like a soldering iron but on both sides of both tires? It is also not "tacky".......this one's really got me baffled!
Old 10-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
rick
Top Contributor

Garage

Hate to say it, but now that its been mentioned, does look more like burning by something HOT like a soildering iron. Any resent enimies, or an ex maybe? May want to do a complete inspection before you ride for awhile. Hate to think of this possibility!
rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:43 AM   #10
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

You said you took the tire off, and the 500 has exhaust on both sides. Any possibility you bumped the tire against hot exhaust or scraped it on something pulling it off?

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement