What are ya plannin' on doing to your 900 this winter? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 10-30-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage
Default What are ya plannin' on doing to your 900 this winter?

Thought I'd start a little thread here.

Like the title says, got any winter project plans for the 9'er?

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Last edited by Romans5.8; 10-30-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #2
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

I'll start;

I've got some hard bags on the way, that'll be first. While it probably won't happen this winter, I'd also like to add a fairing with 6x9 speakers in it, and get the trailer hitch on the bike. Wife and I are planning on taking our vacation next fall camping off of the motorcycle. Like to get a trailer to haul our gear in for that.

Then NEXT winter, I should be 'finished' with my bike (yeah right, I'll think of something), and I'll paint the whole thing! I've been looking at what it would cost to paint the bags/trunk/fairing in the Kawa two tone and, because Colorrite is the only company I have found that has the paint and it's ultra expensive, it'll actually be just as cheap if not cheaper just to paint the entire bike a custom color. Planning on doing this:

With pearl white accents/trim.

How about you? What plans do you have for your bike?

Old 10-30-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
big worm
BOTM Winner, December 2013

Jeff have you not been paying attention?..... NEXXA autocolor paints and most likely RM (basf) paints have all the kawi colors.....

btw just razzin ya i know ya dont read every post on here....
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter

Last edited by big worm; 10-30-2012 at 12:27 AM.
big worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:25 AM   #4
big worm

As for my winter plans... a crash bar and a set of harley type lower fairings with speaker pods ... just wish the 9 had a bit better charging system so i could put a set of subs in the pods and an amp to power them!!
Flh hardbags
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Old 10-30-2012, 12:35 AM   #5
Old Syko

Personally I intend to ride the wheels off the thing. If I wanted to work on one I'd buy a second one to work on and keep one to ride. Which is something I'm thinking hard about. Discovered a 2K engine complete with wiring and all electronics and fuel controls for cheap. Who knows? But I'll be riding the 9 all winter long.
Old Syko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:56 AM   #6
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by big worm View Post
Jeff have you not been paying attention?..... NEXXA autocolor paints and most likely RM (basf) paints have all the kawi colors.....

btw just razzin ya i know ya dont read every post on here....
I'm John, not Jeff!

Huh, I'll look into that. But my mind is pretty set on the Dupli-Color Paint Shop setup there. Silver base with a translucent orange on top. I like the look and, at any rate, when you're doing a fairing, bags, and trunk, a tank and a couple of fenders doesn't add much. Then I get a cool custom setup rather than just matching the stock paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Syko View Post
Personally I intend to ride the wheels off the thing. If I wanted to work on one I'd buy a second one to work on and keep one to ride. Which is something I'm thinking hard about. Discovered a 2K engine complete with wiring and all electronics and fuel controls for cheap. Who knows? But I'll be riding the 9 all winter long.
Yeah I'll ride too but the winter is still a good time to get things done. If for no other reason than I just don't have much going on in the winter. I stopped commuting with the bike this season. Just don't like dealing with all of that warm gear when I get there. So I mostly just ride on the weekends or a warm afternoon. Dunno where you're at but our highs are barely breaking 50 degrees right now, just not ideal riding conditions for riding every day like I do in the summer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big worm View Post
As for my winter plans... a crash bar and a set of harley type lower fairings with speaker pods ... just wish the 9 had a bit better charging system so i could put a set of subs in the pods and an amp to power them!!
Dunno if that would work with your lower fairing plans but I've got the Kawasaki Fire and Steel highway bars and they look really good on the bike. Nice and solid too. Mine are actually for the custom, but I shimmed up the floorboards with some flat washers so they would work with the mount (which is intended to bolt up to the Customs forward controls)

Like to see how that turns out! Wouldn't mind a similar setup in the winter. Mutazu has a set of H-D lowers.

I think in the end you and I are gonna have just about the same bike, except for yours having the bicycle tire up front in stead of a real motorcycle wheel (just kiddin Now you just gotta get a tour pak and I've gotta get a fairing and we'll match! LOL

Last edited by Romans5.8; 10-30-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:08 AM   #7
big worm

lol ya i did mean John.... but someohow Jeff is what came out ... lol and hey i dont blame ya for wanting that orange, its a nice color!!!!
Flh hardbags
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Old 10-30-2012, 03:08 AM   #8
leonardgray

Garage

I've added so much this year, all I have planned is some OEM lowers to help keep the chill off, 'coz I'M NOT GONNA STOP RIDING BECAUSE IT'S A LITTLE COLD!
leonardgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:41 AM   #9
Doc8427

Bags on the way - Viking.

New Pipes arrive today - Road Burner Large Radius curved in matte black.

New gas gauge connector - the one it has now is a bit mangled - with the 270 ohm resistor soldered on.

then ride the heck out of it! Does't snow much down here in GA, so as long as it's over 40 F, I'm on it!

Doc
Doc8427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:31 AM   #10
Papa Smrph

Well, before it goes into storage, I am going to change the plugs (first time taking the tank off) and do the oil. I also plan to get accent lights (LED) at the Bike Show in January, so will install them and that is about all. Really love the bike just as it is.
Flashing Tail Light
Wolo Bad Boy Air Horn
Kick-back Risers
Custom GPS Holder
Papa Smrph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement