900 classic Lt. Owner's HELP Please - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 10-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
oldtimer 1953

Default 900 classic Lt. Owner's HELP Please

Hi Folks, I have a 08 9 clsc. lt. with the orig. factory windshield. I get so much wind and rain blowing in on my back, and when raining it blows on the backside of the windshield (bad)...Will putting lowers on her stop all this blowback?...Thanks, and Ride Safe
oldtimer 1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
DANAD
Top Contributor

Default Back splash

Lowers won't stop it all, but it will drastically reduce it. I only have a sport shield on my 9 so I get the same thing but I bought a cheap set of plastic lowers and it stopped all of the bottom blast and made kind of a "bubble" around my face and chest. On my V2K, the bottom blast was so powerful at speed that it lifted the glasses and helmet off. I didn't want to put plastic lowers on it so I found a set of long chrome lowers off of a HD Soft-tail that have roughly the same mounting holes. The difference on the big bike is incredible. I can even hear the 2up when she squeeks....
DANAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

+1 to what was said above!

What you are experiencing is high speed air moving around the windshield and finding dead air around it. The lowers help 'direct' the flow of air to reduce this behind-shield turbulence.

You're not gonna be dry on a motorcycle in the rain. But the lowers will help reduce the 'up spray'

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Strompilot
Top Contributor

You have an LT which has crash bars on it I expect. If you do, try a set of highway bar chaps. Those help a lot. Again, you're not going to stay dry, but you'll get less rain and a whole lot less wind coming back on you with the bar chaps.

'09 650 VStrom

Last edited by Strompilot; 10-28-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Strompilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad46 View Post
You have an LT which had crash bars in it I expect. If you do, try a set of highway bar chaps. Those help a lot. Again, you're not going to stay dry, but you'll get less rain and a whole lot less wind coming back on you with the bar chaps.
The LT doesn't include highway bars stock BUT, if he does have them that's a good idea! I need to get me some for mine, now that it's cold out!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:33 PM   #6
Feenix

I've got a 900 LT w/ engine ("don't call 'em crashbars") guard chaps. Still get blasted by the wind but they help a little to stay warmer when it's cold out. Gonna try some home-made lowers if I can get my fiance to make them. LOL
Feenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #7
oldtimer 1953

Thanks Folks, I did put highway bars on it right after I got it, so I will be puting both on it this winter...Thanks again and Ride Safe
oldtimer 1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
Strompilot
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feenix View Post
I've got a 900 LT w/ engine ("don't call 'em crashbars") guard chaps. Still get blasted by the wind but they help a little to stay warmer when it's cold out. Gonna try some home-made lowers if I can get my fiance to make them. LOL
I'm just old school, I suppose, from back when we all referred to them as crashbars. I'm just not very politically correct, I guess. Whatever you call 'em, they're all the same thing. LOL

'09 650 VStrom
Strompilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
Feenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad46 View Post
I'm just old school, I suppose, from back when we all referred to them as crashbars. I'm just not very politically correct, I guess. Whatever you call 'em, they're all the same thing. LOL
It's a joke.They told me at the dealership when I bought my bike not to call them crashbars cause they probably aren't gonna save you in a crash.
Feenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
sage1965

Default 900 windshield

I have an 07 900 lt and get none of the blow by you are experiencing, and all I have in the windshield.
sage1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement