Engine HICCUP - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 2000

Old 10-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
Dough614

Default Engine HICCUP

Well... I tried to do some searching of threads on this and havent found much. So far there has been to consistency of the hiccup, warm, cold, fast slow, low/high rpm. have been though seeral tanks of fuel same thing. Just tonight I took the tank off went though all my elec. connections took them apart, dielec grease all connections, checked spark plugs, new ones and tight. Checked exhaust flange nuts.....tight. ALL stock everything. Not sure what else to look for, FI is all new to me, any help is greatly appreciated.
Dough614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
smedlin
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

Could you explain what you mean by hiccup?

2004 Vulcan 2000
smedlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

+1. Define the issue and tell us when it usually happens. We need more info to determine if there is an issue or not.

Fuel injection WILL run differently than a carb. On a carb, some of the fuel condenses inside the carb making it inconsistent and the fuel doesn't atomize as well. With FI, the fuel is sprayed through an injector and is much better atomized and is a nice fine 'mist' entering the engine. Most people report smoother running engines, so you may very well have an issue if it isn't smooth, but, if you can, defining the symptom better may help.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
bigsarge2012
Top Contributor

how many miles is on her? I would run some sea foam through her that would more than likely smooth out the idle and increase throttle response. The vulcan should have higher RPM,s when you start it then it should settle down after a few minutes. Also you might want to make sure your idle is at 950 where it should be. hope this helps
bigsarge2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
Dough614

Ok, it acts like a miss, sometimes enough of a miss that it will jerk to bike like you snap Tue throttle off and then back on again. Sometimes it only does it once, sometimesit will do it multiple times over 10 sec. Somedays it doesn't do it all runs perfect. It will do it at cruising speed, acceleration, at any speed even on take off sometimes, there's really no consistency to it.Hope this helps.
Dough614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

1) How many miles are on the bike?

2) Any mods, additions, changes to the bike?

3) Have you pulled the plugs to check and see if they are fouled or worn? Do they show signs of the bike running excessively lean or rich? (If you aren't 100% sure on either just post pics)

4) Get one of these:
Amazon Amazon
. That will allow you to properly test spark without risking damaging your ignitor using the old 'yank it out and watch it spark' method. It also will diagnose a WEAK spark, then we can go from there.

5) Do you ride a lot in the rain or power wash your bike?

My final suggestion would be to use a good electronic cleaner and clean all of your wiring and switches, especially the kill switch and ignition switch. One thing you might try, is to cruise along at a safe pace and momentarily hit your kill switch then turn it back on again. See if that is similar to the symptoms your experiencing.

Last edited by Romans5.8; 10-26-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
smedlin

Sounds more like maybe the fuel filter could be clogged.

Do you by any chance have a power commander installed? For years, mine was under the seat. When I lowered the bike, I had to move the PC. The seat was putting some pressure on it. Not much, but some. Was making it act like there was occasionally some bad gas in it.

Speaking of, does that red light on your console come on when this is happening?

2004 Vulcan 2000
Old 10-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
smedlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
1) How many miles are on the bike?

2) Any mods, additions, changes to the bike?

3) Have you pulled the plugs to check and see if they are fouled or worn? Do they show signs of the bike running excessively lean or rich? (If you aren't 100% sure on either just post pics)

4) Get one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-20610-In.../dp/B0002STSC6. That will allow you to properly test spark without risking damaging your ignitor using the old 'yank it out and watch it spark' method. It also will diagnose a WEAK spark, then we can go from there.

His original post states they are new plugs, and he's checked them also..

2004 Vulcan 2000
Old 10-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #9
CRUISERDON
Top Contributor

Garage

The first check is the terminals at the battery. It is common for oem batteries to have soft lead terminals that will loosen up and will require retightening till the battery is changed out with hard lead terminals. This has many differant simptoms and what you are describing is one of them. If the terminals are tight already then check the gas cap vent. Also if it persists then you might use a remote gas tank to allow access to all the wireing while it is running and go over the power wires and ground wires to and from coils looking for a soft or limp section of wire hinting at a defective wire. If an area like this is found, most likely with a tug the bike will die. I had such a problem for a year and half till I found it.
'97 VN1500 91 Cubes Of Custom CLASSIC
original owner
Vance & Hine 2to1
engine, forks, ignition & carb mod's
WebCam cam & rockers hard weld & grind
NEW TOP END, NO LOOKS ALL GO GO
Maxx intake manifold system & super G carb 44mm
CRUISERDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedlin View Post
His original post states they are new plugs, and he's checked them also..
Oops, sorry! I missed that. Thanks Smedlin.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement