Finally done with insurance - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Old 10-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
magical mr mistoffeles

Default Finally done with insurance

60 days to the day of my crash i have finally no longer the owner of a vulcan 2000, well not yet, gonna put whats left in the credit union with the hope of buying a bike in jan/feb time frame
magical mr mistoffeles is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Dontcha love beuracracy?

Gonna go with another V2K or do you have something else in mind?

(Glad you're doing good, by the way!)

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #3
magical mr mistoffeles

So far still looking at v2k, possibly a roadliner, kicked the c109r because i have read and know people who have issues with c109/m109, long shot maybe a bmw 1200gt sport tourer.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Glad things are over for ya. I would still keep an eye out for a good deal though. This the time of year when people decide to sell for one reason or another.
1999 Yamaha 1100 V-Star Custom (Right Price at the Time)
2008 V2K Classic (Favorite Vulcan)
2014 HD Ultra Limited (Bells and Whistles)
Who would have thought I would grow up to become "Spatially Educated" and play Connect-the-Dots for a living.
SWVA_08V2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
smedlin
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012

You can find many low millage V2K's for sale out there.

Well, same can be said for every model of bike. People buy them, never ride them, and eventually sale them.

Winter is a good time to shop/buy...

2004 Vulcan 2000
smedlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
magical mr mistoffeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedlin View Post
You can find many low millage V2K's for sale out there.

Well, same can be said for every model of bike. People buy them, never ride them, and eventually sale them.

Winter is a good time to shop/buy...

Thats what i love about motorcycling, for some of us its in our blood, and for the rest its part of middle age crisis, so its just a temporary thing, my v2k has super low miles when i purchased it, within 2 months of having it i doubled the miles the other guy had even though he had it five years. So always looking out for the next sweet deal.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by magical mr mistoffeles View Post
Thats what i love about motorcycling, for some of us its in our blood, and for the rest its part of middle age crisis, so its just a temporary thing, my v2k has super low miles when i purchased it, within 2 months of having it i doubled the miles the other guy had even though he had it five years. So always looking out for the next sweet deal.
There's all different kinds. You've got the 'weekend warriors' who take their bike out on a nice sunday afternoon if the weather is mild and dry. Others who commute with their bike rain or shine, still others who don't even own a 4 wheeled vehicle!

Heck, I even know people who NEVER commute but have over 100,000 miles on their bikes, which are only a few years old, because when they go out on the weekend, they really go somewhere!

My 900 had 8,000 miles on it when I bought it in September of 2011, and it's an '06! It's got 21,000 miles on it now!

Nothing against the people who don't ride very often, but man, I guess, I just can't imagine not putting a lot of miles on your bike! I don't commute to save money, I commute with my bike because I love the fact that on a busy work day I can STILL get a little riding in! (Plus I like to take the long way home to unwind!)

Although, seeing cruisers and stuff like that with low miles is one thing. Seeing mega-tourers like a Goldwing with low miles is really a head scratcher. Dealership I bought my bike from had a 1995 GL1500 on it, being sold by the original owner, with 5,000 miles on it (FIVE THOUSAND, not a typo). So you spend that kind of cash for that kind of bike and don't ride it? Different strokes I guess!

But +1 on the buyers remorse buys. A guy I used to work with got a killer deal of a Harley softail. It had 300 miles on it, and was a 2010. Lady bought it to upgrade from her sportster, rode it a few times, then finally sold it. She just didn't like it as much as she thought she would. (And you know how some of that Harley crowd is, there are tons of awesome mid sized cruisers out there that she could handle, but, if you ride a Sportster, the next step is a Softail, no way would they be caught riding a metric!). Basically brand new, but for the price of used!

When I was a freshman in high school my mom bought a car like that. Had 1800 miles on it, and was a previous model year. Got a KILLER deal on it. It was a Honda Accord, the two door one with the sport engine in it. Someone bought it as a mid-life crisis mobile, but then decided, they really needed a sedan. Came back and traded it for the 4 door Accord. Got a sweet deal!

Last edited by Romans5.8; 10-25-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #8
angelo
Top Contributor

Romans, as you know, a lot of times it comes down to the time of life. I got back to riding mid season 2009. Before that, simply took 15 years off due to family constraints.

My 04 vulcan was owned by PO until July 09 and he put 3K on it. I kept for part of 09, 10, and 11 seasons and traded it this march with 16K on it. Just over 5K miles a season for me.

This march got the 06 connie with under 5K on her. I have put 8K on this year.

Two of my sons now drive. Youngest is 12. BIG difference than what my miles would have been 10 years ago when I was coaching 3 hockey and baseball teams!!!

I know some guys get a bike and simply don't ride much. A lot of times, it has to do with time of life, family situation, and how much free time it allows.

Great news for those of us that don't mind buying barely used bikes - because there are many examples to find usually...

BTW, I hardly ever commute. My miles are day rides and overnights chasing the the curvey roads.
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog http://leroylanes.blogspot.com/

Last edited by angelo; 10-25-2012 at 10:45 PM.
angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #9
SoCalCruiser

Speaking of barely used bikes- I had to pass this along since it looks like a very sweet ride. It's a bit pricey, but very low miles and some extras.
2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad -- $9,400
Only 154 miles
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...334025180.html
SoCalCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCruiser View Post
Speaking of barely used bikes- I had to pass this along since it looks like a very sweet ride. It's a bit pricey, but very low miles and some extras.
2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad -- $9,400
Only 154 miles
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...334025180.html
Yeah that IS pricey.

The Dealer will, of course, tell you different. But, on a motorcycle, low mileage doesn't increase the value. The NADA value on that bike is around $7k~$8k, and I cannot imagine spending more. In fact, there may be issues with a 4 year old bike with 170 miles on it, that wouldn't be present on the same bike with say 4,000 miles on it (not hard to find) that you could get much cheaper.

If they were both the same price, I'd go for the lower mileage one (and start changing out fluids as soon as I got it!), but, I definitely wouldn't pay $9,400. I might offer $6,500 and hope they counter with about $7,500, that wouldn't be a bad price.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement