I'm done!!!! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1500

Old 10-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
Famliman

Default I'm done!!!!

After months and months and a lot of money put into my 1993 Vulcan Classic, I'm fed up. I'm getting rid of it!!
Famliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
reddyford
Top Contributor

Garage

What's going on? Doin a rebuild? Won't run right? We may be able to help. Post in detail history and symptoms.
reddyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
Famliman

@ Reddyford....When I first got the bike it wasn't running well, on top of that it had an oil leak and it need to have the carburetor re-jetted. The leak was coming from a weep hole on the water pump. Well after taking the bike to a mechanic ( at least that is what he calls himself) he couldn't fix it. Btw he couldn't initially figure out where the leak was coming from. He didn't do a good job re-jetting either. I found another mechanic. He fixed the oil leak and fixed my carburetor. I go pick the bike up. I ride 3 miles or so. The bike dies. They pick it back up. Seems the battery had a bad cell. They charge it. I ride it home and it dies again. I purchase another battery. Rode the bike Sunday. Go to get on it today. Battery is dead again. I also notice an oil leak on the left side of the bike. I'm tired of putting money into this bike. I'm getting rid of it. I'll probably take it to a metal scrap yard. Since June, this bike has been in and out of the shop 85% of the time.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
reddyford
Top Contributor

Garage

If wrenching isn't part of your skill set then a 20 year old bike may not have been a good choice. Stealerships will bleed ya dry. Do you own a Multi-Meter?

Sounds like a charging issue which could be a stator and/or Rect/Reg problem. My 08 1500 has double stators (rec/reg also). I don't even know the set up (charging components) on a 93. Might be an easy fix. Some experts will post in eventually. Just hang in there.
reddyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
Bluto

Don't give up yet
Old 10-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

I don't know how much money you have invested in this or what you expect to get out of it in return but, barring that; why not use this bike to learn to wrench a little?

You can save a bundle doing a little of your own work. The problem with buying an older bike with issues already present is that there isn't a huge network of small local shops like there are for cars. The cost of repairing these machines is immense unless you do the work yourself. Relying on the mechanic is okay if you're shopping for a new or gently used machine, but can cost a lot on an older bike. You have an advantage however, in that you've got a bike you can really learn a lot on! Spend some time with it. Even if you end up and get another motorcycle to ride, hang on to this one, get it running, then sell it. Chances are, the skills you pick up and the confidence you'll earn will save you a buttload should anything on your new bike fail or should you need to do costly maintenance (even oil changes cost quite a bit on these things!)

Just my $0.02. Good luck with whatever you do!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:50 AM   #7
Bluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
I don't know how much money you have invested in this or what you expect to get out of it in return but, barring that; why not use this bike to learn to wrench a little?

You can save a bundle doing a little of your own work. The problem with buying an older bike with issues already present is that there isn't a huge network of small local shops like there are for cars. The cost of repairing these machines is immense unless you do the work yourself. Relying on the mechanic is okay if you're shopping for a new or gently used machine, but can cost a lot on an older bike. You have an advantage however, in that you've got a bike you can really learn a lot on! Spend some time with it. Even if you end up and get another motorcycle to ride, hang on to this one, get it running, then sell it. Chances are, the skills you pick up and the confidence you'll earn will save you a buttload should anything on your new bike fail or should you need to do costly maintenance (even oil changes cost quite a bit on these things!)

Just my $0.02. Good luck with whatever you do!
I totally agree !
The price of taking it to a "Stealer" to have anything done is getting way to high but I guess they have to make a living too. I just think it would help to learn what makes it "tick". The only reason I go to the shop is to have tires put on and I take them off the bike first to save an extra 40 bucks PER tire. Good luck with this and let us know how things are going, someone may be able to help.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:54 AM   #8
big worm
BOTM Winner, December 2013

ya gotta pay to play......either by doing it yourself or paying someone else to do it.....and as was said if one is not able to do their own work then a 20yr old bike is not a good idea... maybe something new with a warranty might be better for some..
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter
big worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
Famliman

Note......I didn't purchase the bike, it was given to me.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
Famliman

I would have never purchased a bike that old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement