Mutazu RS Hardbags? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 10-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
KenDawg
Top Contributor

Default Mutazu RS Hardbags?

Has anybody out there tried the Mutazu RS Hardbags? I am thinking of going that route due to their very large size. However, if a forum member could shed a little light on how they look mounted and any pros / cons it would be much appreciated.

KD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
JTRider

Garage

Here's a link to some RS bags on a 900 Classic:

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...postcount=1522
Old 10-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

People seem to like them. I was gonna go that route but then I found a decent deal on the forums here for some HL bags. I already have a Harley tour pak (trunk) so I have plenty of storage.

The general consensus from what I've read is that they are thin and flex alot, and most people seem to indicate it's a good idea to use washers where the bolts mount to keep the plastic from cracking. That said, it really does seem like people are very pleased with them and they seem to last a long time for people. Just don't abuse it or treat it likes it's something it's not. I wouldn't make a habit of forcing it to the gills and then forcing the latch shut! But of course, you're paying much, much less (probably 1/3 at MOST) of what similar sized bags made a bit tougher will cost ya.

I think they look great on the 900 as well.

Let us know what you think if you get some! My HL bags should be here before too long.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

The RS hard bags look really nice. Would be a nice addition.

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
KenDawg
Top Contributor

Thanks Fellas,

I think they look better than I had hoped. I'll post some pics when I get them.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
big worm
BOTM Winner, December 2013

Near went with a set of those... i think they look great... but stumbled across something else
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter
big worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #7
evodog

Mutazu is good but its kind cheap. i looks really good when you ride by.....but if you park and i stop walking and start looking......its not perfect and thats all i can say.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #8
markstep

What is it about them that you don't care for? They look pretty sharp in the photos
MS hot shot windscreen
Fuel Genies
not sure what else added by p/o
markstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #9
steve900c

Default Using the Mutazu bag brackets...

I just mounted a set of Mutazu MU hard bags (smaller than the ones you're considering). I like the style, but agree that they "flex" a lot, depending on how you mount them. The plastic itself is pretty thin, but then I'm comparing it to a Givi hard case that I had on a previous bike... of course the *single* Givi case and mounting plate cost more than BOTH Mutazu bags together, including the shipping!

One warning on mounting them -- Mutazu is now selling a nice looking set of chrome mounts made specifically to fit the 900 (they only cost ~$30 as an "upgrade" in place of the ugly/useless/free "universal" mounts they will send with the bags). I bought these "upgrades" and, while they look nice, their three mounting holes for the bags are too close together, allowing for a LOT of flex. I solved the problem by:
1. Using the three mounting holes, plus...
2. Using two long bolts and spacers to turn the two points where the bracket attaches to the frame into mounts for the bag as well, plus...
3. Using nylon washers outside, and metal fender washers inside the bags to prevent cracking around the holes, and finally...
4. Making a custom aluminum bracket that attaches the bags to each other for stability. Mutazu and others sell braces/brackets like these, but I didn't feel like placing another order. (Incidentally, this bracket is where we ran the wires for the lights, splicing them in behind the taillight.)
All together, this system makes the bags VERY stable, which is what I wanted as I need to carry lunch, shoes, and a backpack to work every day!

In the end, I probably would have saved a lot of headache by just buying the Kawasaki OEM mounts (as seen on the 900LT) -- but they would have cost a good bit more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3126.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	13901   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3127.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	13902   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3128.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	13903  
Clear turn signal lenses and Kury license plate frame w/extra brake light
Memphis Shades Alley Cat quick release fairing <or> MS batwing w/9" shield...
Mustang seat w/driver backrest
Mutazu MU Hard Bags
HR2 bar risers
Kury "Premium Mini" floorboards
steve900c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
zig
Lifetime Premium

Hey Ken, I have the RS bags on my bike. I've been real pleased with them. I did have a problem with the tail light lens covers fading to an ugly pink, but because I've been working in Shreveport and had my bike outside all summer. Recently I went on a trip to Red River New Mexico and took the bike on a road Poncho Villa would be proud of (high mountain rock road...not gravel, I left gravel 5 miles back) and cracked the other tail light lens. When I got back, I called Mutazu to order a pair of tail light lens covers. They were very helpful, but I ended up purchasing a pair of their burgundy/maroon RS bags instead. I took a chance, but the color of the bike and bags don't match. I actually think I like the color of the new bags better than the candy diamond red. Anyway, I'm at home now and the bike is at my camper in Shreveport. When I get back, I'll try to take a picture of the bags mounted and post them. I did make my own brackets and try to draw them in closer to the bike as much as possible. The brackets they come with are flimsy.
zig is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement