Homemade Lowers - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Hatchcover
Senior Member
 
Hatchcover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsboro,North Carolina
Posts: 162
Default Homemade Lowers

Like to give Tony T. a Big Biker's Wave for posting the DIY instructions for the homemade lowers! I followed his instructions http://www.minneapolis-moline.com/lower.html and came in under $15 on this mod. Wished I had done this long ago - these things make the ride so much more enjoyable - really cuts the wind buffeting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-7.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	13866  
Hatchcover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
Rowdi61
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 14
Default

Fantastic job! Does it really stop the head buffetIng?
Rowdi61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
KenDawg
Top Contributor
 
KenDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Killeen, TX
Posts: 785
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdi61 View Post
Fantastic job! Does it really stop the head buffetIng?
They greatly reduce the buffeting, depends on wind speed, direction, etc...
__________________
KenDawg
1SG, USA (Retired)
KenDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
Hatchcover
Senior Member
 
Hatchcover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsboro,North Carolina
Posts: 162
Default

Absolutely! While testing them out for the first time - got up to hwy speed and realized the shield on my full faced helmet was up. Amazing how much the wind noise is reduced. Funny - the downside now is hearing strange noises I've never heard before - like straps on my carry pack flapping, odd engine noise, etc. !!
Hatchcover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
SpringVulcan
Lifetime Premium
 
SpringVulcan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Spring, Texas
Posts: 331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchcover View Post
Absolutely! While testing them out for the first time - got up to hwy speed and realized the shield on my full faced helmet was up. Amazing how much the wind noise is reduced. Funny - the downside now is hearing strange noises I've never heard before - like straps on my carry pack flapping, odd engine noise, etc. !!
I also made the home-made lowers, and had the same reaction.

What convinced me to try it was a long ride in 40 degree weather.
I was bundled up nice and warm and with the windshield the ride was comfortable. But I noticed a breeze coming UP my FF helmet. I used my left hand to trace the path of the wind and was surprised to find that it came from under the windshield.

So I made the lowers while visiting relatives (OK, my much more mechanically inclined brother-in-law did most of the work) and the ride home was so much nicer.

I had never ridden a bike with a windshield or lowers before, but now I would not want to ride without them.

Rod
__________________
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic (Zhaan)
OEM Windshield, Crashbars, Sissybar
OEM Slim Saddlebags
Crampbuster throttle control
Wagner BP1210/H4 headlight & 2357LL taillight
FIAMM Low tone horn
Homemade Lowers
SpringVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
Hatchcover
Senior Member
 
Hatchcover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsboro,North Carolina
Posts: 162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringVulcan View Post
I also made the home-made lowers, and had the same reaction.

What convinced me to try it was a long ride in 40 degree weather.
I was bundled up nice and warm and with the windshield the ride was comfortable. But I noticed a breeze coming UP my FF helmet. I used my left hand to trace the path of the wind and was surprised to find that it came from under the windshield.

So I made the lowers while visiting relatives (OK, my much more mechanically inclined brother-in-law did most of the work) and the ride home was so much nicer.

I had never ridden a bike with a windshield or lowers before, but now I would not want to ride without them.

Rod
Prior to making the lowers I would simulate the effects by placing my boots on top of the crash bar - it changed the airflow making a quieter ride. The actual lowers installed improved the results by another 50%.
Hatchcover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #7
bosco
Lifetime Premium
 
bosco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Temescal Valley, CA
Posts: 1,331
Garage
Default

Well you guys have sold me... This is my next project. Did you order the P straps from the same place (Marsh fastners), or did you find them locally? They look great by the way, excellent job!
__________________
"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
Hatchcover
Senior Member
 
Hatchcover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Pittsboro,North Carolina
Posts: 162
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
Well you guys have sold me... This is my next project. Did you order the P straps from the same place (Marsh fastners), or did you find them locally? They look great by the way, excellent job!
Ordered the #40 - 2 1/2 inch cushion P straps from Marsh. They had a Bin label mix up and kept sending me 3 inch straps until I took a photo and sent it to them. Nice folks to work with -
Hatchcover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
tang56
Senior Member
 
tang56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sticks of eastern Oregon
Posts: 435
Default

This is the best low money mod you can do!! REALLY diminishes wind and improves the ride. I added chrome door edging.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	014 (640x480).jpg
Views:	360
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	13931  
tang56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
bosco
Lifetime Premium
 
bosco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Temescal Valley, CA
Posts: 1,331
Garage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchcover View Post
Ordered the #40 - 2 1/2 inch cushion P straps from Marsh. They had a Bin label mix up and kept sending me 3 inch straps until I took a photo and sent it to them. Nice folks to work with -
Thanks for the info. How wide did you make are the lowers? I ask as I have a lightbar and my turn signals are out wider than stock. So, I would like an idea as I start fabricating a template.
__________________
"Freedom is Loving what you do, and the ability to Pursue It!"

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum