Homemade Lowers - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 10-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Hatchcover

Default Homemade Lowers

Like to give Tony T. a Big Biker's Wave for posting the DIY instructions for the homemade lowers! I followed his instructions http://www.minneapolis-moline.com/lower.html and came in under $15 on this mod. Wished I had done this long ago - these things make the ride so much more enjoyable - really cuts the wind buffeting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-7.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	13866  
Hatchcover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
Rowdi61

Fantastic job! Does it really stop the head buffetIng?
Rowdi61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
KenDawg
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdi61 View Post
Fantastic job! Does it really stop the head buffetIng?
They greatly reduce the buffeting, depends on wind speed, direction, etc...
Old 10-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
Hatchcover

Absolutely! While testing them out for the first time - got up to hwy speed and realized the shield on my full faced helmet was up. Amazing how much the wind noise is reduced. Funny - the downside now is hearing strange noises I've never heard before - like straps on my carry pack flapping, odd engine noise, etc. !!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
SpringVulcan
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchcover View Post
Absolutely! While testing them out for the first time - got up to hwy speed and realized the shield on my full faced helmet was up. Amazing how much the wind noise is reduced. Funny - the downside now is hearing strange noises I've never heard before - like straps on my carry pack flapping, odd engine noise, etc. !!
I also made the home-made lowers, and had the same reaction.

What convinced me to try it was a long ride in 40 degree weather.
I was bundled up nice and warm and with the windshield the ride was comfortable. But I noticed a breeze coming UP my FF helmet. I used my left hand to trace the path of the wind and was surprised to find that it came from under the windshield.

So I made the lowers while visiting relatives (OK, my much more mechanically inclined brother-in-law did most of the work) and the ride home was so much nicer.

I had never ridden a bike with a windshield or lowers before, but now I would not want to ride without them.

Rod
Crampbuster throttle control
Wagner BP1210/H4 headlight & 2357LL taillight
FIAMM Low tone horn
Homemade Lowers
SpringVulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
Hatchcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringVulcan View Post
I also made the home-made lowers, and had the same reaction.

What convinced me to try it was a long ride in 40 degree weather.
I was bundled up nice and warm and with the windshield the ride was comfortable. But I noticed a breeze coming UP my FF helmet. I used my left hand to trace the path of the wind and was surprised to find that it came from under the windshield.

So I made the lowers while visiting relatives (OK, my much more mechanically inclined brother-in-law did most of the work) and the ride home was so much nicer.

I had never ridden a bike with a windshield or lowers before, but now I would not want to ride without them.

Rod
Prior to making the lowers I would simulate the effects by placing my boots on top of the crash bar - it changed the airflow making a quieter ride. The actual lowers installed improved the results by another 50%.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #7
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Well you guys have sold me... This is my next project. Did you order the P straps from the same place (Marsh fastners), or did you find them locally? They look great by the way, excellent job!

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
Hatchcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
Well you guys have sold me... This is my next project. Did you order the P straps from the same place (Marsh fastners), or did you find them locally? They look great by the way, excellent job!
Ordered the #40 - 2 1/2 inch cushion P straps from Marsh. They had a Bin label mix up and kept sending me 3 inch straps until I took a photo and sent it to them. Nice folks to work with -
Old 10-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
tang56

This is the best low money mod you can do!! REALLY diminishes wind and improves the ride. I added chrome door edging.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	014 (640x480).jpg
Views:	360
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	13931  
tang56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchcover View Post
Ordered the #40 - 2 1/2 inch cushion P straps from Marsh. They had a Bin label mix up and kept sending me 3 inch straps until I took a photo and sent it to them. Nice folks to work with -
Thanks for the info. How wide did you make are the lowers? I ask as I have a lightbar and my turn signals are out wider than stock. So, I would like an idea as I start fabricating a template.

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement