Cleaned up my butt. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 10-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
fast95yzf

Default Cleaned up my butt.

I would love to take credit for this idea but I stole it from the, ahem, other forum... Auto Zone LEDs, Radio shack resistors and diodes and a chunk of aluminum for the license plate. Tomorrow I do the front amber ones. Thinking of putting them inside the fake intake/running light holes. Personally I think it looks amazing, especially for how cheap the lights are to do yourself.

Before

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

After off

After with hazards on

fast95yzf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 04:51 AM   #2
papajoe

Very nice! Good clean look.

Is that the warning sticker on your tank?
Debaffled stock exhaust
HD Dunlop White Wall Tires
papajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
Bubba in TX
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Looks great...

I have been doing that for years.

It really is not hard to make a single LED or 100 LED's into running/brake lights. Before you could buy the brake light replacement boards with LED's I was making them for everyone here. And LED's are brighter and a lot cheaper than they were 15 years ago. Not to mention very easy to get now.

The only thing I see is, if you live in a state that requires a white license plate light to pass inspection, with a small narrow piece of aluminum angle you can hang a couple white LED's over the top edge of the plate. The tail light boards I used to make I would put 4 white LED's top or bottom (which ever was needed) to put white light on the plate. Then paint the out side edge of each LED to prevent any white light showing to the rear. Only on the plate.

Some states are picky with that. I just found out in Texas when I registered my motorcycles there. On one scoot I had to make a quick addition to one of my home made boards inside the tail light lens to get it to pass inspection.

Here in Nevada where I am now there is no vehicle inspections.

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

U.S.A.F. Retired
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired

Last edited by Bubba in TX; 10-07-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Bubba in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
Old Bear
Lifetime Premium

If you have time, specifics would be great. I want to do the same thing to mine, do-it-yourself is cheap, and that is my allowance!
Old Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
fast95yzf

No thats not a warning sticker! Those were gone within an hour of getting the bike home from the dealership. Just a reflection. They drive me nuts too!

Bubba, we dont have to get vehicles inspected here, but I was thinking of ordering some small led license plate bolts to wire up.

Here is my laundry list, but first I warn that I am NOT anywhere near a professional so you shouldnt trust anything I say.

Went to auto zone and got

2 Red 12" led strips for the rear $20
2 amber 12" strips for the front $20
2 packages containing a total of 4 25w resistors (radio shack didnt have the ones I needed so they were about 4 times the price at auto zone). $25 total

Then at radio shack I picked up 2 packages of 3 amp diodes for a total of 4 diodes. Dont remember how much they were. Maybe $6 total.

I used this diagram to wire the equalizers up. The only difference is I wired them all individually, I didnt use a common ground like in the picture.

And heres the front. I wired them up as signals only, so they arent running lights like the stock signals anymore.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
rusty360

Hey fast95yzf what brand of lift is that? I debating between a jack or lift like that.
rusty360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
matt7even

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast95yzf View Post
I would love to take credit for this idea but I stole it from the, ahem, other forum... Auto Zone LEDs, Radio shack resistors and diodes and a chunk of aluminum for the license plate. Tomorrow I do the front amber ones. Thinking of putting them inside the fake intake/running light holes. Personally I think it looks amazing, especially for how cheap the lights are to do yourself.

Before

After off

After with hazards on

Looks slick. Did the same rear vertical LED set up for my Nomad but haven't wired them to work as turn/brake lights yet. Will have to add that to my winter project list I think.
Kawasaki light bar
Kuryakyn power point
RAM phone mount
Kuryakyn speakers
Scootworks engine chaps
National speedometer cowl
Wolo air horn
Oxford heated grips
Optronics driving lights
Vaquero engine emblems
Mustang touring seat
RAM drink holder
Kawasaki bag liners
Irons in the Fire rack
Kuryakyn Triple Play tail light
Cobra Tri-Oval exhaust
LED rear accent lights
Goodyear tripletred (Darkside 205-16-60)
matt7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
fast95yzf

Hey Rusty, its a harbor freight lift. I was a little worried about getting a lift from them but Ive had it for two years now and nothing has gone wrong. The only cheesy thing on it was the clamp for the front wheel, so I just bought a nicer wheel chock and bolted it on. If you keep an eye out for coupons you can get one for under $300. I got a jack too, which works out good because for rear tire changes I jack the bike up on the lift and then it has a access panel under the rear wheel so I can just pull it and drop the wheel out.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
Bubba in TX
Lifetime Premium

Garage

You can get the Badlands Illuminator and all you need are your LED's, or any 12 volt light... the unit does everything for you... makes all your lights tail/turn/brake, even the single filament. I have older versions on my scoots..... but they do the same as the new ones. The new versions just plug in to existing system wiring, not having to splice everything like mine is.

I think my red license plate LED topped bolts came from parts unlimited.... I have the button top LED and Skull LED bolts.

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

U.S.A.F. Retired
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired

Last edited by Bubba in TX; 10-08-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Bubba in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
Einstein
Lifetime Premium

Garage

I'm planning a similar project without the LED's, I'm going to use the Plasma Bars, multi color and use them as Run/Turn/Brake, take all the backend do-dads off and replace the license plate bracket with Yafee Stealth III with internal white LEDs over the plate.
<SOLD> 2004 BobRR
VROC #9925
Dinosaur R/G #128
Phoenix, AZ
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement