235 miles today on the new Saddlemen Renegade Deluxe - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 09-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
Doc8427

Default 235 miles today on the new Saddlemen Renegade Deluxe

Went on a ride today with some friends, ended up covering 235 miles total, and did it all on the new Saddlemen Renegade Solo Deluxe. Compared to the stock seat, this thing is a fur coat!

It's a bit narrower than stock, and that worried me a little at first, but it was so comfortable that after the first 50 miles or so I forgot all about that. It's still new, so it needs to be broken in a bit more, but I was able to go almost 90 minutes before feeling a little uncomfortable. On the stock seat I could bet about 40 to 50 minutes before needing to take a break.

This is the first long ride since doing the "Poogy" Gas Gauge fix and it worked pretty much spot on. 120 miles and it was at the half mark, filled up at 185 and it was not in the red yet - which makes sense since it only took 3.5 gallons. I really want to run it down further to see how accurate it is now.

Good day, good friends, and a good time!

Doc
Doc8427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
MachU

I had the same complaints as you with the stock seat, about 30-40 minutes of riding before it was too uncomfortable.
With the saddlemen i found it was a little narrow and firm,but it has alot more lower back support which made a huge difference for me.
Its not perfect but its a much more enjoyable ride.
MachU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
CustomRider
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc8427 View Post
Went on a ride today with some friends, ended up covering 235 miles total, and did it all on the new Saddlemen Renegade Solo Deluxe. Compared to the stock seat, this thing is a fur coat!

It's a bit narrower than stock, and that worried me a little at first, but it was so comfortable that after the first 50 miles or so I forgot all about that. It's still new, so it needs to be broken in a bit more, but I was able to go almost 90 minutes before feeling a little uncomfortable. On the stock seat I could bet about 40 to 50 minutes before needing to take a break.

This is the first long ride since doing the "Poogy" Gas Gauge fix and it worked pretty much spot on. 120 miles and it was at the half mark, filled up at 185 and it was not in the red yet - which makes sense since it only took 3.5 gallons. I really want to run it down further to see how accurate it is now.

Good day, good friends, and a good time!

Doc
That pretty much sums up my feelings on the seat too. Not perfect, but WAY better than stock.

Happy riding!

Matt
CustomRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #4
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomRider View Post
That pretty much sums up my feelings on the seat too. Not perfect, but WAY better than stock.

Happy riding!

Matt
I think you'll find it gets better in the next few months.

I think some of it is the seat breaking in, but I think most of it is your butt breaking in!

Stock I could go 20-30 minutes, when I bought the mustang seat an hour. Then 2 hours, then 3 hours with some discomfort. Now... I can't find the limit. I tried a 6 hour day of non-stop riding only stopping for fuel (lunch was from a gas station, maybe a 10 minute break). I had a sweaty hiney but it sure wasn't numb or stiff!

For me, highway pegs make a huge difference too. Seems to stretch the keister muscles out or something, seems like the blood flows better with highway pegs.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:40 AM   #5
Frenchy

Well I did get a Saddlemen seat not so long ago being fed up with the stock, after reading quite a lot on this forum.
Some said it would take 200 miles to break it in...
At first it felt like sitting on a narrow bit of planking and it it got me worried.
Agreed, it is too narrow.
After 200 miles it was definitely better than the stock.
After 400 miles, as Romans said, my butt sort of adjusted to it, yes it is way better, worth the $260 (+$40 postage) I bought mine for? I have sort of convinced me, I'd say yes.
It also looks a lot better on bike.

Mods:
Kisan signal minder
Kuryakin ISO grips
GiPro gear counter
No name tach.
Fiamm Air Horn
National Cycle HD windshield
Saddlemen Explorer seat
Home made backrest
Stage 2 Debaffled Stock Pipes
170/80/15 Metzeller Rear Tire
Stator replaced: yes, once at 28k
Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Chuluun

I don't get it, I can go all day on the Custom seat without too much discomfort, although I have known comfier bike seats (ZZ-R600 ... mmm). Am I the only person around here with an iron butt??

Congratulations on your seat, anything that lets you ride longer is good news.
Chuluun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
Doc8427

Thought I might put up some pics for comparison:

Side by side with a ruler for scale. The stock seat is 16.5" across while the Saddlemen is 13".

And here it is on the bike:

Doc
Old 10-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
colemantle
Top Contributor

Any profile pics of this seat on your bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc8427 View Post
Thought I might put up some pics for comparison:

Side by side with a ruler for scale. The stock seat is 16.5" across while the Saddlemen is 13".

And here it is on the bike:

Doc
colemantle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
Doc8427

I have the seat and tank off right now, I'll post some when the bike is back together in the next few days.

Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemantle View Post
Any profile pics of this seat on your bike?
Old 10-29-2012, 11:46 PM   #10
Feenix

Does the Saddlemen Renegade sit you lower, higher, back or forward, compared to stock seat?
Feenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement