Anyone using Schaffer V-Twin oil ? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Oil and Lubrication

Old 09-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
R-man
Top Contributor

Default Anyone using Schaffer V-Twin oil ?

Anyone using Schaffer V-Twin oil ? If so, what do you think ?
Custom made luggage rack, Windshield & Lowers
Saddlebags, Passenger floorboards,
Passenger armrests
R-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Boomer914

Oil is oil. Use what you like and change at recommended intervals.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Ride 'till

Vulcan 1600 classic
Memphis shades 19'' Black E-Coated straps

Just Stock Fun For Now!!!!
Boomer914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Dunno that I'd go so far as to say "oil is oil", but I do generally agree with the concept that for the majority of people the brand isn't going to make any difference. That said, I do use synthetic because it gives me peace of mind regardless if it actually does any better or not. And, at one change per year ~5000 miles it's not like it breaks the bank.
whoaru99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
SWVA_08V2k
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Dunno that I'd go so far as to say "oil is oil", but I do generally agree with the concept that for the majority of people the brand isn't going to make any difference. That said, I do use synthetic because it gives me peace of mind regardless if it actually does any better or not. And, at one change per year ~5000 miles it's not like it breaks the bank.
+1. 5-7k a year is all I usually ever get to put on my bike in one year. So I usually got with a synthetic. I usually use Valvoline motorcycle oil because it is readily available here either at Advance Auto, Napa, Wal-mart,... you get the point. I only have one power sports dealer with in 30 miles of home and I Don't particularly like the owner, The closes Kaw dealer is around 60 miles away. So that is why I tend to stay with stuff at said places.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
gdaddy

Default oil

Hey Rman,
I think like another guy said that oil is oil, just for my peace of mind also I use Mobil 1 20w-50 Synthetic.
gdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
R-man
Top Contributor

I've got some Schaffer oil, going to change it when the weather warms up enough to warm up the bike. The rep was telling me about Schaffer's process - says they buy crude oil for the sole purpose of making lubricant, not leftovers from a gasoline process...supposedly makes for longer lasting lubricating qualities.

Also said at Sturgis they set up a booth and give free oil changes - prior to the free oil change the riders have to ride a certain circuit for some number of miles to get their bike up to normal operating temp, then they come in and the rep has a infrared temperature camera and they take pictures (which also shows engine temp). Then they change oil and make the same ride and return for the same process and always find the temps substantially cooler. Anyway, he sold me for a few quarts - can't lose much because it was about the same price I was paying for oil anyway.
Passenger armrests
Old 10-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
Bokobob

Default Three comments

Modern oil is many, many times more efficient than that of
say, 1940...I remember oil from those days..it was green adn stinky and was not multi weight....had to change oil in cars every 100 miles..It came out filthy.

My belief is that any modern oil is fine for a bike, providing it is not
that energy efficient stuff...(forget the proper term for it, but it is whatever makes oil more slippery and plays havoc with wet clutches.)

I read where the viscosity in oil begins to break down in as little as 800 miles...Mobil 1 was said to begin breaking down, viscosity wise, at 1800 miles in that same study..(in my opinion, the free oil change at Sturgis with much cooler running temperature after the oil was changed would have occurred with any new oil, due to viscosity breakdown of the oil that was in the engine before changing the oil..)

there is a site called something like Bobtheoilguy or Bobistheoilguy which is
thought of to be THE definitive site for oil discussion...it is way beyond my interest and capability to understand, however..

Bob not the oil guy...
Bokobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
Bokobob

Default correction

shoujld have said change oil every 1000 miles in the old days, not 100 miles.
Bokobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
TurcoLoco

I didn't know Schaeffer actually started making MC oil! I will definitely try it my next oil change then. I have started using it in my Silverado 1500 after using 1-2 other synthetic oils and have not used anything else. Schaeffer 9000 (full synthetic) totally rocks. I use good quality filters and can easily get 10K miles out of it but I generally change it around 7000-8000 miles. Truck has almost 95K miles on it but still runs like it is just broken in. Also, I started getting higher mpg after started using it.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 10-29-2012 at 12:29 PM.
TurcoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #10
R-man
Top Contributor

Turco, thanks - that is good news. I think the bottles I got are atually labeled "V-Twin Racing Oil". It comes out of the bottle an interesting color - kind of clear with a greenish tint to it. The dealer offers to do free analysis of the used oil, so if I get ambitious I might take in a sample at around 4,000 miles to see what the test results say.
Passenger armrests
Sponsored Links
Advertisement