88 Chop - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > The Bobber, Ratbike, Chopper Connection!

Old 09-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
hue-e

Default 88 Chop

So I scooped up this '97 Kaw 88 Vulcan 1500 for $200. It runs really strong, but needs clutch work (worth a visit to the shop for that part). I've been poking around on this thing for a couple months and have finally started to get pretty close with how I'll do the final fab work.

I'm still thinking about which fender to use. I bought a blank, but the top of it is flat, I wanted round (I'm selling it if anyone is interested $80, never used or cut). so I dropped the front fender on the back (round top) and it fits the contour of the tire better. I may decide to weld a strip into the center of it to widen it and just use that, or buy a different (rounded-top) fender. But that's another $200 so we'll see. That will all be secured to the swing-arm with a short sissybar as the struts.

anyway, that's not why I'm even posting. This bike has a double backbone on it under that huge gas tank and I'm curiuos if anyone has cut that out and replaced it with a single... or will it weaken the frame to much. I'm considering getting a peanut tank and I could go two routes to mount it. a) replace the double with a single backbone, or b) cut the tunnel out of whatever tank I buy and put a wider one in. thought?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0021.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	13357   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0173.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	13358  
hue-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
jpikey85

that...is a sick ride man. pics when done yeah!?
jpikey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
hue-e

absolutely.
hue-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
Bluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by hue-e View Post
absolutely.
Nice !
I just finished mine (for now)
Pics in my profile.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

awesome project!

You got a RUNNING 88 Vulcan for $200? Fantastic!

I was browsing craigslist once and found a guy who claimed to have a 'perfectly running' Goldwing GL1500. Just said he hadn't really been riding it and it was missing a couple plastic pieces, for $300. I called him right away. Dunno what I was gonna do with it but a running goldwing for $300? I'll buy it today and figure out what I want with it tomorrow LOL. But alas, he had already sold it, despite listing it 20 minutes prior. I got to talking with him though and he said "Yeah it's just been sitting, I just don't ride it anymore, figure, list it for $300 and it'll be gone today and I don't have to mess with it"

Darn!

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
nitroeagle

Looking good man. You should be able to cut out that double back bone & weld in a single tube. Just use a descent size pipe. Just in case you haven't heard of it. TheChopperUnderground is a good site for all things getting cut up. A lot of smart guys there. Good luck with it.
nitroeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:04 AM   #7
FITZ01

Default Bobber Days!!!!

Been their done that aka late Fifties. The HD's had a Hinged Rear Fender, in front of the Tailight was Hinge, like a Piano Hinge. Fender was Flat, with actual dropped sides over the Tire, maybe two inches vertical. The Tires were Vintage Street Tread. Composite of the Tire center section was flat, not rounded. Solo Seat, big tank, no front fender, with the narrower but Vintage Front Tire. No Chrome, Regular Handle Bars. I saw, the pin pulled in the Fender, now we have a Vintage Bobber, minus Front Fender, Hill Climbing, and what was called Rabbit Runs were cross country, through Farms and Neighbors back yards. All organizedand with permission. No Hardtails, Street Bikes. Fenders were left off, rear had Tailight moved back up to fender above Hinge. Simpler to build today actually. Somebody build a square Hinged Fender on back. Squared off with the Hinge half left in place. VINTAGE!!!
FITZ01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:08 AM   #8
desol8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroeagle View Post
Looking good man. You should be able to cut out that double back bone & weld in a single tube. Just use a descent size pipe. Just in case you haven't heard of it. TheChopperUnderground is a good site for all things getting cut up. A lot of smart guys there. Good luck with it.
Agreed, just make sure you take good measurements. You will change the geometry of the bike if your not carefuller. If you are a good welder you wont have a prob with the rigidness/strength of the added piece. I would get a thicker wall tubing, b/c its design was two piece.
desol8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #9
Comanche

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hue-e View Post
So I scooped up this '97 Kaw 88 Vulcan 1500 for $200. It runs really strong, but ................... anyway, that's not why I'm even posting. This bike has a double backbone on it under that huge gas tank and I'm curiuos if anyone has cut that out and replaced it with a single... or will it weaken the frame to much. I'm considering getting a peanut tank and I could go two routes to mount it. a) replace the double with a single backbone, or b) cut the tunnel out of whatever tank I buy and put a wider one in. thought?
I am not familiar with this bike so could you please post some pics of the spine so I can see what you're talking about?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
screwedandtattooed

Awesome looking bike so far. Unbelievable deal too wish I could get a running bike for 200 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement