Amsoil winter storage, drive away in spring. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Oil and Lubrication

Old 09-15-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
silenthill
Top Contributor

Default Amsoil winter storage, drive away in spring.

Bob,
I'm certain I asked this question before, so here goes again. What's your opinion on storing my bike on Amsoil....then simply starting next season with the same oil. Couldn't bear to wade through all the oil threads.....
Opinions please?
Thanks, best regards, SH
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).
silenthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
reddyford
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthill View Post
What's your opinion on storing my bike on Amsoil....then simply starting next season with the same oil.
It seems a waste to change the oil before and after storage as some proclaim to. I run my bike some after changing to a lighter grade oil before storage and then in the spring throw the battery back in and go. Storage time is shorter than ever these days, middle of December to the beginning of March. Lot of peeps will disagree with this but I don't give a sh*t.
reddyford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

I'm assuming you're talking about Bob the Amsoil rep?

I know he stores his bike with the Amsoil he runs and then changes it at the beginning of the season.

Oil breaks down from moisture and acids and other nasty junk. I think you're better off doing it backwards- leave your premium synthetic oil in (I would change it if you were just running petroleum oil. That breaks down even faster) and then change it in the spring.

There's a reason there's also a time duration mixed with mileage duration in oil and engine manufacturers recommendations (whether it's 3, 6, or 12 months). Oil breaks down once the bottle is opened. If you start your bike up in the spring with moisture and other junk-logged oil that's 6 months old, then you aren't going to have the protection you would have if you changed it.

This kind of stuff won't blow your engine up immediately. That's why most people ignore it. But once it's got some miles on it, failing to store properly, letting the oil sit too long, having too long of intervals for the type of oil you're using, and so on and so forth- will cause components to fail prematurely or cause the engine to need to be rebuilt sooner than it should.

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Last edited by Romans5.8; 09-15-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #4
silenthill
Top Contributor

yeah, bob,the amsoil rep.....pretty sure amsoil can be stored on...and then driven in spring (without changing again)....I think amsoil and maybe mobil are the only two to make that claim...(i could be wrong).
Old 09-16-2012, 07:15 AM   #5
silenthill
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddyford View Post
It seems a waste to change the oil before and after storage as some proclaim to. I run my bike some after changing to a lighter grade oil before storage and then in the spring throw the battery back in and go. Storage time is shorter than ever these days, middle of December to the beginning of March. Lot of peeps will disagree with this but I don't give a sh*t.
storage time is shorter than ever...i like that line..lol.
I actually meant to store it...then ride it without changing again.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
Amsoil Dealer Group
Site Sponsor

It is safe to store on AMSOIL unlike Other oils.

Roman 5.8 was correct, store on AMSOIL is fine but change in the Spring.

I hear people say that all you need to do is "Drive it and the moisture will evaporate from the heat"...... Never, NEVER, do that! The oil will foam and when you have Foam, AIR, you have Lack of Lubrication.

Call us for your forum member pricing.

Oil, is the Lifeblood of your engine. The oil filter, is the Kidney that keeps it clean.

The Best isn’t cheap
Cheap isn’t The Best

Bob

For more info go to www.bestoil4you.com or Toll Free 1-877-356-6099 EMAIL: AMSOIL@bestoil4you.com
Amsoil Dealer Group is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #7
silenthill
Top Contributor

Thanks for the answer Bob....and the other replies as well/
Old 09-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
Amsoil Dealer Group
Site Sponsor

You are welcome

Bob

For more info go to www.bestoil4you.com or Toll Free 1-877-356-6099 EMAIL: AMSOIL@bestoil4you.com
Amsoil Dealer Group is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Sorry, but I'd never store my vehicles with used oil in them. Change before storage and drive away in the spring.

If the concern is condensation then its an even bigger problem with used oil because used oil contains combustion byproducts and the neutralizers to counter act acid formation from the byproducts and moisture are to some degree depleted in used oil. Its like a double whammy against protection.
whoaru99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
Gray Ghost

Whoaru99: While others may disagree, is also what I've always done with my bikes, riding and push mowers. Haven't failed me yet. Figure both bikes, oil and filters are better today than ever, so no worries.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement