Side Boxes for luggage - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 500

Old 09-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
barchaim

Default Side Boxes for luggage

Hi There,
Does enyone has experience in installing two Boxes on the sides of bike
enabling carring luggage for a long bike tour.
Iwm talking about the VUKCAN 500.
Pics & Tips will much appr.

Have a safe ride!...
Hanan
barchaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
Loganspawn

Yep wondering the same thing myself. Have a 500 that will be getting the engine guard here soon, Vicente said it will be shipping Tuesday! Was thinking hard box's might be better than the leather bags I have now looks wise.
Loganspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
old

Garage

Here's a couple of pics of some 30 cal ammo boxes I put on mine. They're too small for your application, but you can see how they mount.

Attachment 13293

Last edited by old; 09-10-2013 at 09:30 PM.
old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:32 AM   #4
Big Thump

Garage

Are you thinking boxes like Pelican Hard bags used on Adventure bikes or do you mean stylish hard saddlebags?

The pics of my wifes bike here are stylish but are not for heavy carrying loads. But the mounting system is relatively easy if you can cut and bend metal stock. Then drill some holes to mount them to the fender rails. They are strong enough mounts to hold anything.

If you need better pics of the mounting system, let me know and I can take some for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Melbourne Beach Trip 2011 022.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	13296   Click image for larger version

Name:	photobucket-1291-1336074253647.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	13297  
IBA #23562
http://www.youtube.com/user/Thump52
Big Thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:00 PM   #5
Loganspawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Thump View Post
Are you thinking boxes like Pelican Hard bags used on Adventure bikes or do you mean stylish hard saddlebags?

The pics of my wifes bike here are stylish but are not for heavy carrying loads. But the mounting system is relatively easy if you can cut and bend metal stock. Then drill some holes to mount them to the fender rails. They are strong enough mounts to hold anything.

If you need better pics of the mounting system, let me know and I can take some for you.
Thanks and I would love to see those mounting pictures if you find the time. Your wife's bike looks great and it also makes me want to rip off my Vulcan emblems off the tank!

Logan
Old 09-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
barchaim

Talking

Thanks Big Thump
Beautifull Bike & pictures.
Yes, It would be great to see better pictures of the mounting system especially the connecting points to the BIKE.
Yes I'm thinking abouy HARD BAGS for adventure rides...
Thanks alot to all off U.
Hanan
Vulcan 500 A 2004 70000 km

Last edited by barchaim; 09-27-2012 at 01:32 PM.
barchaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
Big Thump

Garage

I'll get some pics for you and post them. It's pretty straight forward. I use Pelican bags on my Versys (picture below). Love them!
I had the side covers on the Vulcan painted too, which I think made a huge difference in how the bike looks. Why Kawi did not paint them to begin with is a mystery.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photobucket-10754-1336075090458.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	13504  
IBA #23562

Last edited by Big Thump; 09-28-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:47 PM   #8
Big Thump

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganspawn View Post
Thanks and I would love to see those mounting pictures if you find the time. Your wife's bike looks great and it also makes me want to rip off my Vulcan emblems off the tank!

Logan
Here are some pics of how I mounted them. You could probably mount just about anything to these flat bars. I had a friend who works with metal bend them for me. The hook is a bungee cord for a seat trunk she also uses.

The vendor we bought the hardbags from is called: A1 Hardbags on the internet. He also sells the brackets for $20.00. Probably worth buying them from him since he adds some extra holes in the bars. Look the same as what I did.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-09-27_17-40-34_920.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	13501   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-27_17-40-46_482.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	13502   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-27_17-40-59_991.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	13503  
IBA #23562

Last edited by Big Thump; 09-27-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
Loganspawn

^^^^^

Thank you very much for the information. I hope to find some hard bags I like and get them mounted soon.

Logan
Old 11-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
Ladyhawk

Hi! I don't know if you are short on bucks, but I just bought Gobi Hepco and Becker hard bags (37 liters) with a frame. The bags are HUGE, sit high on the bike and clear the mufflers by several inches. They remove easily, lock, and are waterproof. They mount easily but...the wires they send in the set to relocate the rear directionals are too short. So far my only problem is mounting - I am short and throwing my leg up over the whole mess is pretty daunting. Even my 6 foot tall husband has trouble. I think practice will get me there, eventually. The bags are awesome, add a little weight to the bike but I hardly notice it. For the added protection of gear (laptops and cameras) and because the mounting was made specifically for the 500 I thought it a deal not to have to jurry rig anything. The mount was expensive but when I got it, I could see why. It is pretty tough and has extra pieces that add support for the bags - such as a part that fits neatly behind the wheel and connects both bag supports together. Also there is a support on top that can be used for a top case. These are heavy duty bags made for hard travel. My husband and I plan to take a cross country trip this coming summer, so hard bags were a must investment. It was just a matter of which ones. Sometimes spending a little more money is worth it when everything fits so neatly. Best of luck.
Ladyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement