Cleaning products and tips - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Old 09-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
jhow34

Default Cleaning products and tips

Hi everyone. I am new to the cruiser bike scene. I've had a couple crotch rockets back in the day but never a chromed up cruiser. My question is what do you guys/gals use to clean your rides? Any tips or tricks used would also be greatly appreciated. I know it's a matter of just spending some time cleaning but sure some of you long time owners have little tricks you use to keep them looking showroom condition. Thanks

Johnny in Ga.
jhow34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Melted rubber/plastic on the exhaust seems to be the most recurring question.
I have had good luck with EZ-off oven cleaner. Spray it on (I have heard to keep it off your paint) leave it for a couple hours then scrub a little. Repeat if necessary. Works well. I have also heard that magic erasers work, and 000 steel wool.

There are a lot of products for you windshield, and depending on what material it is, several products that you should not use. Do a search and enjoy.
I use soapy water only, and wash it lightly several times during a regular wash; by the time I am done with the bike, the shield is clean as a whistle. When the shield gets enough bugs to need to be cleaned; I figure it is time to wash the entire bike.

Scott

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
Scott_in_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
pacomutt
Lifetime Premium

Lemon Pledge. Seriously!

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
pacomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
DrifterDog

I've had luck with scrubbing bubbles for spokes. ;-)

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
DrifterDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
Bear2123
Top Contributor

Honda cleaner / wax for the bright parts, and Plexus for the windshield. EZ Off for the pipes when needed. Tried Pledge and it worked fine too.
Bear2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
jhow34

So lemon pledge for the pipes? Never would have thought to try that. Any suggestions on what to use to detail the engine compartment? Like brushes or something small to get in the tight spots. Thanks for the replies. Keep em coming. I'm taking notes.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
Scott_in_TX
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhow34 View Post
So lemon pledge for the pipes? Never would have thought to try that. Any suggestions on what to use to detail the engine compartment? Like brushes or something small to get in the tight spots. Thanks for the replies. Keep em coming. I'm taking notes.
A baby bottle brush is good to clean the fins.

Scott

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
Scott_in_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
Pretzel
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacomutt View Post
Lemon Pledge. Seriously!
+1 I give one thorough wash/wax in the spring, another late fall, and all in between cleaning is done with microfiber towels and lemon Pledge. All my riding buddies laugh and ask me if I ever ride the bike, since it stays so clean and SHINY, but the odometer always tells the tale. Best thing of all, I can keep that odometer ROLLING by spending a whole 15 minutes a week...

It adds shine to the seat, keeps that freshly waxed look on the paint, takes bugs off the shield, adds rain "sheeting" to the shield and lights, and shines the chrome! I even use it on my FF helmet during the colder months, and it helps a tad with the smell too. LOL

For the thorough washes, a bottle brush works magic in those hard to reach areas and the fins.
LED Run/Turn/Brake
Vance and Hines Duals
Dobeck TFI
Kuryakyn Flame grips with Throttle Boss and Stiletto endcaps
Kuryakyn Longhorn offset highway pegs
Vista throttle lock
OEM light bar and luggage rack

B.A.C.A. Member, Oklahoma Chapter

Out to pasture - 2008 Vulcan 900 Custom: Redemption
Pretzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
jhow34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post
A baby bottle brush is good to clean the fins.

Scott
Thanks for that info. I'll definitely pick one up.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
jhow34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
+1 I give one thorough wash/wax in the spring, another late fall, and all in between cleaning is done with microfiber towels and lemon Pledge. All my riding buddies laugh and ask me if I ever ride the bike, since it stays so clean and SHINY, but the odometer always tells the tale. Best thing of all, I can keep that odometer ROLLING by spending a whole 15 minutes a week...

It adds shine to the seat, keeps that freshly waxed look on the paint, takes bugs off the shield, adds rain "sheeting" to the shield and lights, and shines the chrome! I even use it on my FF helmet during the colder months, and it helps a tad with the smell too. LOL

For the thorough washes, a bottle brush works magic in those hard to reach areas and the fins.
Lemon pledge over the entire bike? That's not rough on the paint?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement