130/90-16 instead of a 150/80-16 Front tire - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Wheels and Tires

Old 09-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
Wes

Default 130/90-16 instead of a 150/80-16 Front tire

I'm planning on giving Shinko a try. Problem is that I want 2' white walls and this is the only one they have for a 16' rim (130/90-16 instead of a 150/80-16). They have the rear, and odd thing is that Dunlop has the front but no rear.

I have a 2003 1500fi nomad. Wanted to know if this tire would work, or has anyone used this size as a replacement for the 150/80. Rim size is same, so it seems like it should work, except maybe for the width.

Other option is running two different brands of tires. Shinko back, dunlop front. But i have read that cornering could be issues. Seems to me that's only a prob for sport bikes.

Any and all info is welcome. Just fyi, had metztler 2' ww on my harley bobber. Loved them, tired of price. So thats why i'm willing to give shinko a try. Plus I hear some guys say they dont get great milage on cruisers anyway.

Thanks in advance.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
MJ 21A

Hi,
The 130/90-16 is about 3/4 of a inch, less, wider then the 150/80-16, and will sit the bike about 1/8 inch lower. It should fit, work, I was thinking about using that size too, but I have a 07 Nomad and I can not get the back size or front sizes. 150/80/16F, 170/80/16R. I do not know if I go with the smaller front, then what do I do with the back, get smaller too match the front (not has wide) ? or get wider (about 3/8" wider) and just lower riding? Wish tires just came in the right sizes for are bikes!

I never mix, brands or Rad/Bis, I like a matched set. JMO.
MJ
2007, 1600 Nomad, Black and Chrome, Fairing/windshield w/Laminar lip, Cycle Sound Housing w/Stereo/GPS, Throttle lock/Assist, Handlebar raisers, HD chrome fork lowers, Head Light Modulator, Driving fog/spot lights, Trunk w/ top rack, backrest. Corbin Seat w/backrest, DeBaffled pipes w/valkyrie end tips, Intake, K&N air filter, FI2000, Top and side rails on bags. Foot pegs, Wolo horn, extra running lights in back, Some pinstriping and chrome to bring out the black.
MJ 21A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
Wes

Thanks for your reply. I went with the metzlers because I found a place that had a great deal on them. So they only cost less than an extra$100 for the set instead of over $200. So for $80 I decided t go with them. I am still thinking of going with shinko next time. I will keep track of how long these metzlers last. Then probably go with shrinking next time and do the same. That way I'll have something to compare with. It will take a few years but ill post the results of both. I'm hoping the metzlers last atleast two years. If not I wont buy them again.

Thanks again for your reply.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
MJ 21A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Thanks for your reply. I went with the metzlers because I found a place that had a great deal on them. So they only cost less than an extra$100 for the set instead of over $200. So for $80 I decided t go with them. I am still thinking of going with shinko next time. I will keep track of how long these metzlers last. Then probably go with shrinking next time and do the same. That way I'll have something to compare with. It will take a few years but ill post the results of both. I'm hoping the metzlers last atleast two years. If not I wont buy them again.

Thanks again for your reply.
What sizes did you go with on the Metzlers, I was looking and (for a 2007 Nomad) they had, 150/80 HB 16 Front (same as stock) and 180/65B 16 for rear, that is about 3/8" wider but about same high. I like that it is rated at 81H so it will handle 2 up riding better.... just wondering, BTW, cheapest I found them at American Tire for $326.46 to my door, for sizes posted.
2007, 1600 Nomad, Black and Chrome, Fairing/windshield w/Laminar lip, Cycle Sound Housing w/Stereo/GPS, Throttle lock/Assist, Handlebar raisers, HD chrome fork lowers, Head Light Modulator, Driving fog/spot lights, Trunk w/ top rack, backrest. Corbin Seat w/backrest, DeBaffled pipes w/valkyrie end tips, Intake, K&N air filter, FI2000, Top and side rails on bags. Foot pegs, Wolo horn, extra running lights in back, Some pinstriping and chrome to bring out the black.

Last edited by MJ 21A; 10-01-2012 at 11:30 PM.
MJ 21A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
DESERT ANGEL

I put a shinko radial on the rear wheel Ihave about 6000 miles on it and it looks like I may be able to get another 1000 miles out of it, the front shinko looks a little better but begining to cup, over all they handle good and smooth, except for wearing out too fast

I will not be buying shinko's again, I got 14000 miles on the OEM
bridgestones

Last edited by DESERT ANGEL; 10-01-2012 at 11:47 PM.
DESERT ANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
Wes

Sorry it took so long to.reply. I put 150/80 whitewalls. Metz has a matching set. They're great so far. But I.knew that since I've had them on my old bike. I just want to see if they'll really go 18,000 miles or not.like some claim.

To desert angel- thanks for the info. Is that on a cruiser?
Old 10-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
DESERT ANGEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Sorry it took so long to.reply. I put 150/80 whitewalls. Metz has a matching set. They're great so far. But I.knew that since I've had them on my old bike. I just want to see if they'll really go 18,000 miles or not.like some claim.

To desert angel- thanks for the info. Is that on a cruiser?

yes a o4 v2k

18 k miles wow let us know on actual miles
DESERT ANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
Wes

Quick update on the metzlers. So far are wearing great. Have a thousand miles or so on them maybe 2000, havent looked.

One thing i will say is that they handle well in emergencies. Was heading down I90 at about 65 in medium traffic. Left lane started getting backed up, even tho my lane was clear for a long way, i pulled in the clutch and coasted. Glad I did bc some lady in an SUV just pulled out in front of me from the left. She didn't see me at all, probably didnt even look in a rush.

Well, obviously I had to break really hard to not hit her (yea technically I woulda hit her, not her hitting me) Slid the back tire going about 60. Had to slide it a couple times to stop. I've done it a couple times on the Nomad and it always sways to the right some, but the tires gripped back immediately and got me straight again.

I always worry to slam on front too much, so I prefer to slide the back before going over the bars! Guess i'm just to used to smaller bikes and dirt bikes. Anyway, with hard breaking the front tire stuck to the road beautifully. The rear breaking loose is by no means a negative on the tires, I pretty much locked it up on purpose.

This is the second time I've had to brake really hard since i've had the nomad and second time i've slid the back tire. This was the worse of the two as to how close she cut me off, but regardless the bike handled beautifully and the tires where great. Last time it happened, by back tire was old, and the front coulda gone another few thousand miles easily. Considering the age of the old back tire, still feel that the metzler stuck to the road far better than the stock bridgestones. They just have that feeling of sticking to the road, I thought the same thing when I put them on my custom harley Bobber hardtail.

Anyway, I'm not sure how the shinko would have handled, but I will say that I am glad I had new tires on!!!!!!!! Other wise, this post would have been a different one.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
rick
Top Contributor

Garage

Have this saved in my favorites, great for comparing sizes. Glad you avoided the cager.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #10
Chas63

Wes wrote:
"I always worry to slam on front too much, so I prefer to slide the back before going over the bars!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you need to go to a large, empty parking lot somewhere and practice emergency stops. I've owned about 10 different cruiser/touring bikes and I've yet to be thrown over the handlebars of any of them even though I've grabbed the front brake as hard as I could on numerous occasions.

In my experience, I've never been able to lock up the front wheel on dry pavement. Of course, on wet pavement or grass or something like that, it's a different story.

If you really need to stop or slow down FAST, you need all the front braking effort you can get. Personally, I think it's an old wives tale about getting thrown over the handlebars by braking too hard. At least it is in my experience. Maybe if you're riding some trail bike or something like that it might be possible, but on the BIG bikes, I'd have to see it to believe it.

Last edited by Chas63; 01-11-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Chas63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement