Urgent help needed!! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 08-30-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
silverspurs

Default Urgent help needed!!

hey guys... I'm in trouble... I'm on a 10 day Canada trip, in Prince Rupert BC. This morning when I went out to start my 09 Nomad, it started up as usual, ran for a couple of minutes at idle, but then as I started to pull away, it died... everything died... all electrical out... we looked at all the system fuses and they were ok... then we pulled the Main fuse and it was fried... I put the spare 30 amp fuse in, it started up, all appeared to be ok, then rode it for about 15 min and every thing died again... the main fuse had blown again, we replaced it, turned the bike on, all appeared to be normal until I started it, the main fuse immediately blew again...

I have removed all accessory wires, and have checked every wire and harness I can get to and can find no problem...

does anyone have any ideas?? is this a regulator problem??

I'm 2000 miles from home, there is no motor cycle repair shop in this town and I'm at my wits end...

thanks for your help!! rick

09 1700 Nomad
09 KLR 685

Last edited by silverspurs; 12-02-2012 at 05:13 PM.
silverspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
Bobh344

Default Possible causes

I am retired Navy electrician - not a motorcycle mechanic... so for what it is worth - there are a few items that would draw that kind of current.

I would start by checkng the battery leads and the ground screw on the frame forward of the battery. If they are tight, suggest pulling the battery and inspect the leads around the frame from the positive side (red) and the frame. Inspect the leads to the starter and voltage regulator. There is tight clearance around the battery and you may have worn the insulation away. Electrical tape if you see any metal should get you home. Sounds a bit intermittent as you were able to drive one time for 15 minutes.

Generator - short circuit in the stator. The rotor has permanent magnets, so that is not a likely source. If there is a ground path from "wear" dust, oil, dirt etc you could be getting a short to ground drawing that type of current. In either case, it is not a fast repair as you need to pull the right engine cover.

Voltage regulator - this is a go or no-go situation either they work or fail. Not sure if you can just unplug it and run off the battery to see if the fuse blows again. If it runs on the battery, and does not blow the fuse, you have found the problem. Obviously, not a long term solution as the battery will dischage.

Part numbers from Kawasakipartshouse.com

21003 21003-0076 STATOR $330.08
21007 21007-0116 ROTOR $599.03
21066 21066-0043 REGULATOR-VOLTAGE $139.65

Starter - with the new fuse, does the starter disengage? if the solenoid does not release, that could draw enough current to blow the fuse. If you are able to get it running, I might suggest holding the lead on the starter to get it running and then pulling it away once running. If it is hard starting, the brushes may be worn out and causing the short, but solenoid should release.

1039 21039-0009 BRUSH $22.93
21040 21040-0003 SPRING-BRUSH $5.28
21163 21163-0055 STARTER-ELECTRIC $493.88
27010 27010-1446 SWITCH,MAGNETIC $77.67

Good luck - and hope it is a simple fix.

Bob

09 Vulcan Nomad Diablo Black

Accessories:
Avon grips with Racnray's Invention (Throttle Mod)
Kuryakyn Power Port
RAM GPS mount
Voyager Trunk Kit ($OUCH$)
Yamaha Trunk Rack
Removable windshield Kit and Lowers!
Windshield bag
K&N Air Filter
Day-Long Seat (best seat ever!)
Red Line 10w-40 MC Oil
Bobh344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
silverspurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobh344 View Post
I am retired Navy electrician - not a motorcycle mechanic... so for what it is worth - there are a few items that would draw that kind of current.

I would start by checkng the battery leads and the ground screw on the frame forward of the battery. If they are tight, suggest pulling the battery and inspect the leads around the frame from the positive side (red) and the frame. Inspect the leads to the starter and voltage regulator. There is tight clearance around the battery and you may have worn the insulation away. Electrical tape if you see any metal should get you home. Sounds a bit intermittent as you were able to drive one time for 15 minutes.

Generator - short circuit in the stator. The rotor has permanent magnets, so that is not a likely source. If there is a ground path from "wear" dust, oil, dirt etc you could be getting a short to ground drawing that type of current. In either case, it is not a fast repair as you need to pull the right engine cover.

Voltage regulator - this is a go or no-go situation either they work or fail. Not sure if you can just unplug it and run off the battery to see if the fuse blows again. If it runs on the battery, and does not blow the fuse, you have found the problem. Obviously, not a long term solution as the battery will dischage.

Starter - with the new fuse, does the starter disengage? if the solenoid does not release, that could draw enough current to blow the fuse. If you are able to get it running, I might suggest holding the lead on the starter to get it running and then pulling it away once running. If it is hard starting, the brushes may be worn out and causing the short, but solenoid should release.

Bob
I will check those things this morning... thanks!
the fact that it turns on with no problem, and doesn't blow the fuse until it starts up, leads me to suspect a problem with voltage regulation... but I'm no electrician... rick

09 1700 Nomad
09 KLR 685
Old 08-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Noire

I will not be much help to you in locating your problem.

But I had the same thing happen on my 99 Nomad. It would run a while and then blow the main fuse. I was at a VROC rally at Eureka Springs for three days, trying to track down the short. I'm not a mechanic. A Kawasaki tech was there with the Kawasaki truck. He pulled the entire wiring harness out and checked it for a short. Replaced it, saying when I got it home to have the dealer call and he would cover the cost of the wiring harness if I have the dealer do the labor, since he was unable to find the problem. I never had a problem with it since. Evidently, something was shorting out and when it was moved, never grounded out again!!!!?????

Good luck!!
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Noire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
1oldtimer

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobh344 View Post

Bob
Not to go off subject here, but damn Bob, what a great explanation. Although I an not retired navy, just pulled 1 tour as an AE (Aviation Electrician) and work as an electronics tech for a major semi-conductor mfg. I don't think I have ever quite heard it explained like you did. you really broke it down for silverspurs.Two thumbs up
Power Commander V w/Ign
K&N Replacent Filter
Cobra Scalloped Tip Slip-ons
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Kuryakyn ISO Grips w/RACNRAYs Throttle Mod
Kuryakyn 1/2 rail mount flag
Chrome Pasenger Board Bottoms
Chrome Rear Brake Reservoir Cover
Yamaha Trunk Rack
1oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
sfair
Top Contributor

Unplug the reg/rect's. They are located on the frame at the lower front of bike.
Try again and post back with results.
sfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
sfair
Top Contributor

As an add, if both are unplugged and it no longer blows fuse, then try replugging one and then the other to see if the fuse blows. Then leave the one that blows the fuse unplugged, keep your electrical load down...no light bar, etc, and you can probably make it to a repair shop.
If you have access to a meter, I can tell you how to check the alternator output to verify.
sfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
dolitsky

Garage

Same Exact thing happened tome on my09 vv

I was on my nova scotia trip I the middle of no place

Long story short... Ignition wire rubbing against fuel tank insulation wore thru an shorted to tank

Call me and I can exPlain all to help you out

Home # 516 609-0478
Thunder Mfg. Airkit * D&D Exhaust * Dobeck GEN III EFI * Kuryakyn Longhorn Pegs * Saddlebag Guards * Nuvi 550 * Mustang Seat w Backrest * Irate Mesh Radiator Grill * HD Trunk Rack * Front fender guard rails * Polk Audio DXi 525's * Dunlop 407/408 Wide White Walls * Kuryakyn ISO Grips - Weights - Throttle Bosses * RacNRay's Throttle Mod * OEM CB Radio * EdSets Headseat/Mic * Exhaust Heat Wrapped Header * Faimm Air Horn * Brake Caliper Chrome * Rear Brake Res. Tank Chrome * HogTunes Amp

Last edited by dolitsky; 08-30-2012 at 05:04 PM.
dolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
ta-kid

Did you find the issue?
ta-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:40 PM   #10
silverspurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta-kid View Post
Did you find the issue?
thanks everyone for your responses... I've been unable to access internet for the past two days... anyway, on Thursday morning, I tried everything I could think of to try to find the short... the short had progressed from blowing the main fuse only when the bike was actually running, to blowing the main fuse after the ignition had been switched to the ON position for a few seconds... obviously a dead short somewhere... I was running out of time because the ferry was due the next day, I needed to get things moving, so I rented a uhaul and I'm on my way back home with the bike in the uhaul... I'll be there tomorrow... when I get home, I'll be tearing things down (something I couldn't do in Prince Rupert, it's the rain capitol of Canada) so I'll need all the help I can get when I get er' home... thanks again for your posts and I'll be back on here as soon as I get a chance to tear things down... rick

09 1700 Nomad
09 KLR 685
Sponsored Links
Advertisement