Garmin wiring? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1500

Old 08-21-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
stevew

Default Garmin wiring?

Just got hold of a s/h VN1500-C2 (06/1997) and would like to use my car Garmin Nuvi 255W on the bike. Fitting it on is no problem, already got that sorted but I would like to access 12v somewhere up front if possible. Mainly to avoid having to run the cable all the way back to the battery under the tank because it's really crowded under there. Want to use a waterproof cig lighter socket if poss.
Although upon thinking about it maybe it would be best to get a new lead to fit in the Garmin and wire that directly in to the bike somewhere. I could then leave the lead attached to the bike all the time and just plugging it into the Garmin when I'm using it.
Any thoughts please?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Don't know the exact details of this Garmin, but some GPS have a voltage regulator/converter in the power cord. Point being, be sure you check the details before getting just any old cable or modifying one you already have. Putting 12V into something not wanting 12V could be expensive.
whoaru99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
stevew

You are right so I guess I'll have to use the original connector cable as that has a voltage reg in it. Thanks for reminding me!!
Old 08-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
FreewillerGA

I was thinking of doing the same on my 2001 Classic. Where did you buy the mount for the GPS head unit?

In GOD We Trust!
FreewillerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
stevew

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreewillerGA View Post
I was thinking of doing the same on my 2001 Classic. Where did you buy the mount for the GPS head unit?
Got it from ebay UK.
Number 160867323463 and it's description was:-
GPS Waterproof Leather Case w/ Mount Holder Motorcycle Bike Cycle
It seems it is available direct from China too and it is cheaper. Didn't go that route 'cos I need it for next week.

I hasn't arrived yet so I can't comment on the quality!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
R_W_B
Top Contributor

Well they sell waterproof cig lighters at various places you can mount on your bars. Even Harley dealers sell them. However they are only waterproof in the closed position. These would accomdate your voltage converter plug in that came with your Nuvi.

You could also wire a converter (like shown in the link below) straight to your battery (or any accessory hook up) and plug the other end right into your Nuvi (eliminating your current converter plug cord). Only problem I can see with it is the cord going from the converter to the plug in doesn't look long enough to get from the storage area under the seat to the bars. You might have to locate it under the tank somewhere or in the fairing because of this, OR splice in a longer cord.

Amazon Amazon
R_W_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
trevor49

You should find spare acc plugs in the headlight under the tank and under the seat. Remember these have power to them all the time
trevor49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
Bear2123
Top Contributor

Kury acc cig lighter, or is it an accessory access plug? Whatever. I use mine in a RAM mount have the Kury outlet and use a USB cable to twin out USB to accessory jack (set down resistors inside the jack) Bought the accessory jack at Best Buy for uner $5.00. I use both ports: 1) Garmin Nuvi, 2) GoPro Hero2 camera.
Bear2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #9
Bigjoe

Garage

I used a RAM mount-they are outstanding!
I bought a 12V outlet at the local parts store (or even wal-mart) that had a rubber cap. Then,I used a piece of PVC pipe with a cap to make it "waterproof". The adapter came with an L bracket that I mounted to my windshield mount. I sanded the outside of the Pipe and painted it flat black. The adapter fit in the pipe perfect with a wrap of duck tape!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12v acc.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	12843  
Bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #10
Bigjoe

Garage

Here is the ram mount pictures...
Attached Thumbnails