Change your fluids! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 07-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
RogerE

Garage
Default Change your fluids!

My 2009 Nomad had the original brake and clutch fluid until this past week. I have 18,000 miles in three years on the bike but due to circumstances have ridden less this past year than in the first two years. Anyway, I changed the brake and clutch fluids this week and was appalled by what I saw coming out. They were both badly discolored and full of particles. I used almost an entire quart of fluid to get them both running clean and particle free. Believe me when I tell you I will do this annually from now on)

I also changed the front fork oil and frankly I don't know what the engineers were thinking when they created a design that requires you to take the whole front end of the bike apart and put it back together in order to do routine maintenance. Why isn't there a drain in the bottom of the forks?? I spent half a day working with a local mechanic to get this job done. What a pain in the %^&*.

Coolant change will be next, but I gotta get over the fork oil change first before I start into that.

Grasshopper backrest
Lowered passenger boards
W/S bag
Kuryakyn offset dually pegs
Airhawk 2
Shell Rotella T6 synthetic oil
Racnray's throttle mod
K&N air filter
Drilled exhaust end caps

Patriot Guard Rider
Taps Bugler - Bugles Across America
Sons of the American Legion NO-VEL Post 159

I spent most of my money on wine, women and motorcycles. The rest I wasted.
RogerE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
Bear2123
Top Contributor

Brake fluid is hydroscopic. It absorbs moisture and deteriorates once opened to the air. I've head about the fork oil and haven't yet gotten motivated enough to change that on my 800. Good advice though. Even anti-freeze has a usable life. It retains the ability to not freeze but the anti-corrosion components get consumed and you have no protection.
Bear2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
IsAnOzzie
Lifetime Premium

just did my brake fluids as well, 09 classic with 12,000 kilometres, filthy like you said.
I have the flushing and replacement fluids for the radiator flush, but have not done that as yet. hmmm fork oil, must look that up to see whats involved.

Do or do not, there is no try. YODA
IsAnOzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
whoaru99
Top Contributor

Is fork oil on the routine maintenance list?
whoaru99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
RogerE

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Changing the fork oil is not on the routine maintenance list but it was recommended by my mechanic Todd. The fork oil was very dirty after three years and 18,000 miles. Here is verbatim what the manual does say, including all of the grammar mistakes from the poor Japanese to English translation: "Front forks operation inspection: Pump the fork up and down 4 or 5 times, and inspect the smooth stroke. If the forks does not smoothly or noise is found, inspect the fork oil level or fork clamps (see Front Fork Oil Change in the Suspension chapter)."

In order to change the fork oil you need to disassemble the entire front end of the bike - remove windshield and headlight, remove brake calipers and front fender, remove front wheel, remove forks, compress the top plug in the fork with a gear puller, drain the oil, measure and refill with the correct amount of oil, and then reassemble everything. It is a LOT of work. It will be a few years before I do it again)

Grasshopper backrest
Lowered passenger boards
W/S bag
Kuryakyn offset dually pegs
Airhawk 2
Shell Rotella T6 synthetic oil
Racnray's throttle mod
K&N air filter
Drilled exhaust end caps

Patriot Guard Rider
Taps Bugler - Bugles Across America
Sons of the American Legion NO-VEL Post 159

I spent most of my money on wine, women and motorcycles. The rest I wasted.
RogerE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #6
flatop

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
It should be changed every time you put a new front tire on the bike.
flatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
Farmer522

I went to a heavier fork oil when I added my front fairing to the bike, made a big difference in the ride

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Farmer522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

The problem with not changing fork oil is the same problem with not bleeding brakes. You'll lose a seal! Every see guys with bikes that have some miles and some years on them fighting brake problems? Calipers going bad, lines corroding, etc.? If they'd change the brake fluid annually, that wouldn't be an issue! (Plus it's super easy)

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #9
RACNRAY
Vendor

All good recomendations.

Here's the link to a thread i started back in March in the "How To" section regarding my experience with hydraulic systems on bikes .

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=23940

RACNRAY
RACNRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
1700Classic
Premium Member

Let's hear some fluid brand recommendations!
1700Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement