DIY kuryakyn triple whammy on my VN900 for about $5 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Wrench Heads

Old 07-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
Seawolf_il

Default DIY kuryakyn triple whammy on my VN900 for about $5

I like the idea of "see-and-be-seen" and if I had my way I would light up my bike like a Christmas tree to be seen at night. Having a 900 Classic with only one red bulb seen from the rear was not cutting it. I like how some harleys have three red bulbs across the back, where their red turn signals glow all the time for increased visibility at night.

However, rather than spend $100 on the Triple Whammy, I decided to make my own for about $5 and some spare wiring (thanks eBay!)

From eBay, I purchased self-adhesive waterproof red LED lighting strip that uses SMD5050 LEDs (they are very bright for their size. I always look for these LEDs when doing projects like this).

Install was pretty simple. I opened the turn-signal housing, removed the bulb and the metal heat-shield inside.

I tried to find a way to get the wiring through the signal stalk so it would be seamless, but could not get the 1156 socket out of the chrome housing, and so decided to drill a small hole through the housing instead and run the wires under the stalk where they are barely noticeable.

The LED strip has an adhesive backing that is a 3M product and seems pretty sticky. I cut the strip so that 6 of the LEDs are intact. I stuck that to the inside of the housing, following the contours of the rear of the housing, and put a dab of hot glue on the ends for good measure. Sorry for the crappy cell pic to follow:

This shows the strip taped and glued into place in the back of the housing. The wires are just to the right, but to eliminate 'dark spots' seen through the reflector (especially if switching to clear reflectors) and to add a smidge of heat-protection, I covered the wires with metal duct-tape. A keen eye may notice that in this pic I ground-down the plastic ribs inside the housing, but this is not necessary. I was originally going to put the LEDs as a ring around the circumference of the housing, but getting over the screw holes was problematic and this worked just fine.

Then it was a matter of wiring. I can provide more details if needed, but it is very simple. I tapped the red wire for the rear license plate lamp as the + lead for the LED strips. For the - lead, I tapped the green + lead for the turn signal. This way, the current flows from the lamp bulb pigtail, through the LED strip, through the turn signal bulb, then to ground. Why do it this way instead of straight to ground? You could, but I wanted the red light to go away when the turn-signal is blinking. When the turn signal bulb is energized (turned on ) the LED strip sees +12V on both its wires which shuts it off, leaving the bright amber turn signal the only thing lit up.

Nice thing about this mod: It does NOT require clear lenses. Red will show through the amber lenses just fine.

I have a (low-resolution, sorry) video of how this works in action. The left-side turn signal (with amber lenses) is glowing red, and the right-side turn signal is flashing red/amber.

Click on it to see the video if you are curious

Thanks.
Seawolf_il is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
big worm
BOTM Winner, December 2013

good idea !!
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter
big worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Seawolf_il

Thank you. Now, I need to come up with something neat for the remainder of the strip.

I was thinking about frenching-in a row into the back of the passenger seat pad as kind-of a center-mounted-stop-lamp on a car. With a quick-disconnect of course.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
JtC
Top Contributor

Garage

Those are great ideas, Seawolf.

CMA#158186
"Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty." -2 Corinthians 3:17
JtC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
Morningstar

Garage

I like it, if I still had my lollipops I would do this in a minute! I'm still kicking my self for not going duel in the rear turns.

M
Scootworks 2" Lowering kit
Techglide Forwards
SS Braided lines
Britt Racing Exhaust
Cobra Power Flow intake X2
Avon 90/90-21 Front
Kuryakyn side mount plate
Kuryakyn LED turns amber/red
Memphis Shades Batwing w/custom speakers
Sadleman renegade solo
L&M front fender
L&M chin spoiler
Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
Napom
Top Contributor

Garage

Nice mod! Idoes this just make it a run/turn, or did you also wire the brake light in somehow?

Thunder Air Kit
Cobra Tri Ovals/PowerPro
Wrapped Headers
CB/Rear Speakers
SageBrush Designs Tank Bib
Marvellas Psgr Pegs
Kury TourTech Mounts
Chrome Psgr board bottoms
12" Windshield
Heated Gel Seats
Superbrightleds.com brake strobe
Kury T/S mirrors
Kury moon light LEDs
Avon grips w/Throttle Magic by RacnRay
Kury Phase 6 LED Headlight & spotlights

Ride Bells by Sabrehood brothers MinatourAce and Outlaw

Blue Knights VA II
Ride With Pride
Napom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
Seawolf_il

Thank you for all the props

Funny you should ask...

This is run/turn currently. That said, I already had a thought about adding in another strip into the housing (maybe another 3 LEDs) that would operate with the brake (but not when the turn-signal is blinking, like how I did the running light). It would be easy to do, All I would need to do is pull another wire (the + lead from the brake lamp pigtail) into the housing from the outside.

BUT, if I did the extra strip in the seat, I wouldn't really need the ones in the signal getting any brighter. Cars have a lamp that does not get bright, and one that does when the brake pedal is depressed, so that there is a differentiation that is easy to see...meaning it is easier to tell that the brake is on.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
Napom
Top Contributor

Garage

I'll stay tuned for the finished product - Very interesting!

Thunder Air Kit
Cobra Tri Ovals/PowerPro
Wrapped Headers
CB/Rear Speakers
SageBrush Designs Tank Bib
Marvellas Psgr Pegs
Kury TourTech Mounts
Chrome Psgr board bottoms
12" Windshield
Heated Gel Seats
Superbrightleds.com brake strobe
Kury T/S mirrors
Kury moon light LEDs
Avon grips w/Throttle Magic by RacnRay
Kury Phase 6 LED Headlight & spotlights

Ride Bells by Sabrehood brothers MinatourAce and Outlaw

Blue Knights VA II
Ride With Pride
Napom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
T-Sox

If you get a trailer light module like
this this
one, you can have the turn signals as run, turn and stop lights. This is basically the same exact thing as the Triple whammy. They are ripping people off with that thing IMO. They should have trailer modules at your local auto parts store for $20 to $30. You should probably tint your lenses Red with spray on lens tint too. I used one of these on my chopper and they work great.

Last edited by T-Sox; 07-20-2012 at 07:12 PM.
T-Sox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
Motortherapy

Thats a really cool mod Seawolf, thanks for posting!

04 VN800 Classic - Of 5 motorcycles this is the best bike I have ever owned.
Motortherapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement