2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT Fast IDLE - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 07-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
mtpocketsad

Question 2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT Fast IDLE

Is there a way to eliminate or reduce the fast idle. Just got the bike a month ago and noticed the fast idle after start up. Today it is 99 out, had taken a couple short trips ( less than a mile ) and it will still be on fast idle when I take off. Is there a adjustment for this. I know there is idle adjustment but this is injector controlled ( I think ) It starts out at a normal idle but as soon as you give it throttle it stays up for couple minutes.
mtpocketsad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
mtpocketsad

How long do most of you let them warm up before riding? It would seem like a waste to let it warm up for 3+5 min. for a 2+3 min. ride to post office.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
marcwhite

Post Office? What's that?
marcwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
Bytehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpocketsad View Post
Is there a way to eliminate or reduce the fast idle. Just got the bike a month ago and noticed the fast idle after start up. Today it is 99 out, had taken a couple short trips ( less than a mile ) and it will still be on fast idle when I take off. Is there a adjustment for this. I know there is idle adjustment but this is injector controlled ( I think ) It starts out at a normal idle but as soon as you give it throttle it stays up for couple minutes.
Check your battery voltage. The hot fast idle is for battery voltage, short trips will drain the battery and cause the fast idle to set up due to low voltage. I solved the problem with a SHORIA Litium Iron Phospate Battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpocketsad View Post
How long do most of you let them warm up before riding? It would seem like a waste to let it warm up for 3+5 min. for a 2+3 min. ride to post office.
Do people really do that. I just start, and off I go. The engine will warm up anyway.
Big 3 +++++
Double Darkside
Bytehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
tedkawi

I had a fast idle once and all I did was turn the adjustment knob. It's a 1/2" black knurled plastic knob located in the middle [front?] of the pistons on the engine's right side. [Sorry my bike is downstairs]. I have the same bike as u basically.

Post-adjustmt-- It sounded more like a cruiser and not a sportbike. My guess? 900 to 1000 rpm, repeat --my guess.

Last edited by tedkawi; 07-18-2012 at 03:44 PM.
tedkawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
tedkawi

Yes, I warm it up abt a minute or two, then I hear the auto reduction of rpm and vroooom.
tedkawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
mtpocketsad

I will check the voltage. It is not like I just start and stop. But do have short trips during the day.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
Daboo311
Top Contributor

Idle is idle. Mine is not very high at start up and after riding for awhile, it goes up a little higher.

If you think yours is too high, simply ride it enough to warm up some, adjust your idle screw back a little. U R Welcome!
Daboo311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
captrobb

The fast idle circuit is controlled by a small "egg" shaped piece of metal on the right side (as looking at it) of the throttle body. It is visible if you remove the air filter housing and backing piece. You can (I have) remove that piece and get rid of the fast idle circuit, however, the bike will idle very low until warmed up at that point causing a very easy stalling situation. You can also modify the shape of the piece to modify the speed of the fast idle circuit.
Scootworks front pulley
Cobra fi2000
K&N Air filter
Highway bar & pegs
VROC #33959
captrobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #10
DnKiKe

Start up idle itīs high rpm for default to pre warm the machine and fluids, itīs only for that, the real warming of the 900's ocurs normally after ride for 30 mins, thatīs a real warm for this bike.

Your battery will drain power if you only do short trips during day, so itīs highly recommended that you almost every 8 or 15 days ride about 1 hour on higher rpm's to recharge battery fully.......thatīs a trick for all bikes.

Let the start up idle alone, thatīs only 2 mins, then the bike automatically goes down to the recomended factory settings (950~1050 rpms at idle)
DnKiKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement