tyre pressures - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 07-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
ENRICO

Default tyre pressures

Any comments on the following please :-
I am slightly confused about tyre pressures for VN900 Classic -Kawasaki handbook states 28psi front 32psi rear but Dunlop recommend 32psi front and 36psi rear.
also my rear tyre inner valve is so far in that it will not activate my digital tyre pressure gauge.
Regards,Enrico
ENRICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
Ol'Yella

I always run what the tire manufacturer recommends. The bike lists what is best for comfort the tire manucturer recommends what is best for tire grip, performance and life.

Last edited by Ol'Yella; 07-03-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Ol'Yella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
Graybush
Top Contributor

I seem to remember trying several different combos and sticking with 36/40 front/rear most of the time. The website shows a max for the D404s of 41 PSI.

I changed them at 5500 miles. They might have had a little life left in them but not much.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire...d/street/d404/
Old 07-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
xxxxxxRTL Rider

go with the tire manufacturer recommendations,not the manual. If you go with the manual pressures,you will have alot shorter life out of the tire as I believe they state this for a softer ride. I have ran dunlops,Bridgestone trying different pressures and currently Pirelli MT66 Route front and rear with 40psi in rear and 36 psi in front and have a little over 14,000 miles on the set. I can push the rear to 15,000 but the front will go beyond that. All depends on how you ride,what kinda roads you ride on and what your looking for out of the tire...a softer,stickier tire or a high mileage tire.Whatever tire manufacturer you decide on ,go with their recommended pressures imo.
xxxxxxRTL Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Denis

It's a preference and what works for you. I personally adhere to the manual specs. I have with my Dunlops and now my Pirelli's. I haven't changed my style of riding. I got 25,000 kM's (15,500 miles) on my Dunlops. I'm still riding my Pirelli's MT66 and currently have 31,000 km's (19,200 miles). Still going on the Pirelli's. Of course, weather conditions and a multiple other factors can affect a tire tread wear, but I've kept so far to the manual specs (28 PSI front / 32 PSI rear with rider). I've read many different posts about tire longevity. Tire presure is just one element of what's goes into longevity.There is such diversity, like big time, amongst tire life between riders. It's all subjective...

Denis
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement