How much water wetter? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 06-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
gibi

Default How much water wetter?

Water wetter says one ounce per quart.The 1700 has only 2.5 quarts of antifreeze. Is adding only 2and half ounces going to do anything?? Or do you need to flush and refill to gain an advantage.Just trying to reduce some heat without too much hassle.
gibi is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
flatop

I don't think you add water wetter to the existing antifreeze. I think you flush, fill with water and antifreeze mix (70/30 has been mentioned) and add the water wetter to this new mix.

Depending on where you live the 70/30 mix may be a problem if it gets cold.
flatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
bikesrfun
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatop View Post
I don't think you add water wetter to the existing antifreeze. I think you flush, fill with water and antifreeze mix (70/30 has been mentioned) and add the water wetter to this new mix.

Depending on where you live the 70/30 mix may be a problem if it gets cold.
Water Wetter is made to be mixed with the antifreeze and water. Engine ice is the replacement coolant that can be substituted for the antifreeze and use the 70/30 mix.
but not forgotten
bikesrfun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #4
Duff

I consider Water Wetter nothing more than a track day solution. Not for street bikes. It's not an antifreeze and it is made to be changed quite often.

Duff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:11 AM   #5
davidsheek
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Villa View Post
This subject opens a whole can of worms about the process of heat removal. I am saying that to do it correctly you need to put a BIGGER radiator on any motor. Ok, so now the flame wars begin anew.
I'm tempted Ponch but I'm not going to do it.

2009 Vulcan Voyager ABS/ my "Blue Goose"
BIG 3 = PCV w/ Ign/Cobra Slip-ons/Thunder Air Kit
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Air Hawk2 seat cusion/Remote Control for house
National Cycle Fender Tips//Utopia Back Rest
Gorilla Alarm/Strebel Air Horn/14 in. Dark Shield
Kaw Rear Speakers/Galfer Break Pads
Garmin GPS, RAM mounted on break reservoir
Chrome Mug Holder/Extra Chrome/Wrapped Pipes
Flags and Mounts from "Rumbling Pride"
Dunlop SP5000 Car Tire /AMSOIL & Filter
davidsheek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
dwainjohnson

Some believe water wetter works and some do not. I use it and it does help. I used 1 oz. per quart and mixed it with a complete new mizture. It takes longer for the engine to reach operating temperature and it does run just a little cooler. The fan runs for a shorter time than without water wetter. As Poncho states the cure is a larger radiator but for me that is not an option. I give water wetter a thumbs up for what it does and do recommend it.
dwainjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
wbilotta
Top Contributor

Quote:
This subject opens a whole can of worms about the process of heat removal. I am saying that to do it correctly you need to put a BIGGER radiator on any motor. Ok, so now the flame wars begin anew.
I agree a bigger radiator would help if you could direct the rejected heat away from the rider. I wonder if we could fit a dual core radiator ? Same length and width, just deeper ?
2010 Voyager 1700 ABS with heated seats, Grasshopper backrest, Kuryakyn highway pegs and an Ipod because the radio reception fades in and out. Also has a gear whine, fuel gauge that fluctuates too much and a pathetic cooling system.
wbilotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
Dr.G

Sometimes I think mother Kaw should scrap the water cooled thing and go to a big oil cooler and deeper fins on the motor. Perhaps bigger fins wouldn't even be necessary, the 1900 Yamaha Strat appears to do well.
Dr.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
wbilotta
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.G View Post
Sometimes I think mother Kaw should scrap the water cooled thing and go to a big oil cooler and deeper fins on the motor. Perhaps bigger fins wouldn't even be necessary, the 1900 Yamaha Strat appears to do well.
I was trying to engineer a way to tap the oil system for an oil cooler but couldn't find a good spot to tap the pressurized side.
2010 Voyager 1700 ABS with heated seats, Grasshopper backrest, Kuryakyn highway pegs and an Ipod because the radio reception fades in and out. Also has a gear whine, fuel gauge that fluctuates too much and a pathetic cooling system.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #10
wbilotta
Top Contributor

Quote:
seein that the kaws use the same filter as the yam star series bikes, they make oil cooler manifolds to fit the yams. wouldnt the same fit the kaw?
Yamaha may have drilled/tapped some oil ports to accomodate an external cooler. Kawasaki doesn't have that. I looked around for an oil filter adapter base that gives you two oil ports to attach an external cooler to but the area around the filter is too small.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement