Hesitation issue - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1600

Old 06-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
Teckmountain

Default Hesitation issue

My 1600 classic hesitates between 85 to 120 kmh. It is getting worse. Any suggestions as to what I should be looking at?
Teckmountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Bear2123
Top Contributor

Default Carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckmountain View Post
My 1600 classic hesitates between 85 to 120 kmh. It is getting worse. Any suggestions as to what I should be looking at?
Sounds like you may have a partial jet blockage. IF you can find Sea Foam up there, I suggest that you run a couple tankfulls through it. Otherwise you may be in for a carb cleaning.

That's about the range where the primary jet is really working and part way into the main IF you are steady crusing.

Does it vary at all what throttle position you are in? Like 1/3, 1/2, WOT? Are you accelerating "briskly" when you feel it? (Maybe accelerator pump?)

Test it and let us know. And try the Sea Foam if you can find it there.
Bear2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
Teckmountain

Thanks for the help. I will look for sea foam tomorrow or a Canadian equivilant. Will also pay attention to the throttle position when I'm riding.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
Bear2123
Top Contributor

Keep us informed. We all learn when we share our experiences.....
Bear2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
bountyhunter1000

I may be wrong because its a Canadian bike. But aren't all 1600's fuel injected? If so it could be a dirty intake or butterflies, clogged fuel filter, fuel pump going bad, clogged fuel injector (sea foam, or my fave Lucas injector cleaner will work), or even an ignition issue like spark plugs or coil.

But again I could be wrong that Canadian are fuel injected, so sorry if my ignorance if that is true.
bountyhunter1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
sfair
Top Contributor

All 1600's are FI. No jets on this engine.
Seafoam available at Canadian Tire.
Try the Seafoam and post back with results. Do not go above recommended strength.
sfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
Teckmountain

Default Hesitation issues

Found Seafoam at Canadian Tire. Added six ounces to a full tank of gas. Went for a ride tonight. Here is a bit more info regarding the hesitation. The hesitation occur when the bike is warm, starts about 80 kmh, feels like the bike is dragging, then the hesitation begins (the bike slows, then speeds up,...really doesn't know what it wants to do). The throttle is about 1/4 way open when it begins. If I crank the troattle open it will go through more hesitation, settle in and be okay, then it begins again. The bike seems to be okay if I'm doing over a 120 kmh

Will run a couple of tanks of gas with Seafoam through the bike to see if it improves. Any thing else I should look at?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
bountyhunter1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckmountain View Post
Found Seafoam at Canadian Tire. Added six ounces to a full tank of gas. Went for a ride tonight. Here is a bit more info regarding the hesitation. The hesitation occur when the bike is warm, starts about 80 kmh, feels like the bike is dragging, then the hesitation begins (the bike slows, then speeds up,...really doesn't know what it wants to do). The throttle is about 1/4 way open when it begins. If I crank the troattle open it will go through more hesitation, settle in and be okay, then it begins again. The bike seems to be okay if I'm doing over a 120 kmh

Will run a couple of tanks of gas with Seafoam through the bike to see if it improves. Any thing else I should look at?
Does it feel like it wants to go but just can't make power then it kinda just kicks in and goes? If so that sounds like a fuel issue or ignition to me. Try replacing your fuel filter and your spark plugs. Both are cheap and simple to do.
bountyhunter1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
estoltz

Teckmountain,

Any update on this. I'm getting the same behavior on a 2000 VN1500N1Fi. I've been through plugs, fuel and even PC. I think the next stop is going to be replace the ignition coils. does yours go away if you let it sit for like 5-10 minutes?
K&N Filter
PC IIIUSB
estoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
Boomer914

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfair View Post
All 1600's are FI. No jets on this engine.
Seafoam available at Canadian Tire.
Try the Seafoam and post back with results. Do not go above recommended strength.
Might I ask why only recommended strength?

Sent from my EVO using Motorcycle.com Free App
Ride 'till

Vulcan 1600 classic
Memphis shades 19'' Black E-Coated straps

Just Stock Fun For Now!!!!
Boomer914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement