Vulcan 900custom 2007 Overheating ! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 05-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #1
mirecki248

Default Vulcan 900custom 2007 Overheating !

IHave change coolant, flushed radiator and now overheating light comes on. Looks like there is no circulation of coolant in the system. rubber hose at low end of the radiator is hot to the touch and the hose on top of the radiator is luke warm only ??? any ideas what to look for !?
mirecki248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
King43

When adding coolant, did you have the front wheel up higher than the rear? If not, there may be an air bubble in the system not allowing water to flow. Based upon what you describe, this seems the most likely possibility. Did you also by chance replace the thermostat? It might be frozen partially shut, now allowing the coolant to flow fast enough for proper cooling.
Stage III Stock Pipes - K&N Filter in Stock Box - Amsoil - 170/80 Kenda Kruz - Saddlemen Explorer - Willie & Max Windshield Bag - Mutazu Passenger Floor Boards - Shorai Heavy Duty Battery - Kawasaki Lowers - Black Universal Trunk mounted on Mutazu Rack - Osram 70/65w Plus 50
King43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:48 PM   #3
mirecki248

thx, King43. I did not check thermostat yet. Do I have to lift the fuel tank to do so ?
Old 05-30-2012, 02:09 AM   #4
King43

Yes, the fuel tank must be lifted to get to the thermostat. This site shows the schematic where the thermostat resides (right under the top frame rail which supports the tank). http://www.motosport.com/cruiser/oem...00B/WATER-PIPE
Stage III Stock Pipes - K&N Filter in Stock Box - Amsoil - 170/80 Kenda Kruz - Saddlemen Explorer - Willie & Max Windshield Bag - Mutazu Passenger Floor Boards - Shorai Heavy Duty Battery - Kawasaki Lowers - Black Universal Trunk mounted on Mutazu Rack - Osram 70/65w Plus 50
King43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:59 AM   #5
Sojourner
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirecki248 View Post
IHave change coolant, flushed radiator and now overheating light comes on. Looks like there is no circulation of coolant in the system. rubber hose at low end of the radiator is hot to the touch and the hose on top of the radiator is luke warm only ??? any ideas what to look for !?
Is this work you did or a shop? If you did your own work then you must have removed the tank to get at the rad. cap, or were you able to slide the tank back? After refilling with new coolant you also should have started the bike, and with the rad. cap off, watch the coolant along with any air come up as the engine heated up. Once the air has all been expelled the cap can be replaced. Your reserve tank should also have been drained and refilled to the F mark with fresh coolant. If any of these steps are missing, go back over what you did once again before pulling the thermostat.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
BigDavePrice

Mine did the same thing. The key is to have front wheel raised to bring front of bike just above level at minimum and like someone else said fire it up and circulate the coolant. If not it will get an air pocket and not circulate.
BigDavePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
mirecki248

Thank You all guys ! I will work on it this weekend ( been busy during the week ) and hopefuly thanks to Your advice I will resolve the problem :-)
Old 10-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
tcrider

So. I'm replacing the coolant tomorrow. my question is, you have to put the tank back and then start the bike with the rad.cap off to let the air out..?? Is there enough room to work with the tank in place ?? or ( and I don't think this is an option) you start the bike without the tank in place??
thanks for your help.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
Sojourner
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrider View Post
So. I'm replacing the coolant tomorrow. my question is, you have to put the tank back and then start the bike with the rad.cap off to let the air out..?? Is there enough room to work with the tank in place ?? or ( and I don't think this is an option) you start the bike without the tank in place??
thanks for your help.
You should be able to slide the tank far enough back to access the rad. cap. No need to have the vent tube nor the level gauge connected until you're ready to button everything up.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
tcrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
You should be able to slide the tank far enough back to access the rad. cap. No need to have the vent tube nor the level gauge connected until you're ready to button everything up.
All right!! didn't get to it yet, Got sick Friday!! but will attempt to do it next weekend..
Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement