How To: Adjust Your Valves - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 500

Old 06-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #1
les.izmoore

Default How To: Adjust Your Valves

OK... I'm a new owner of a used Vulcan 500 (2000 model), and I recently tackled doing a valve adjustment.

I have a shop manual, which was helpful to a degree, but most helpful was the following link on how to do a valve adjustment on an EX500 (Ninja 500) engine...
http://www.ex-500.com/files/2006_EX5...Adjustment.pdf
and also this link,
http://www.ex-500.com/wiki/index.php...nce_adjustment

The first link has good photos, just ignore all the Ninja cowling removal stuff, but follow all the other precautions...

Here are the steps I followed...
1. Remove the seat (1 bolt)
2. Remove the Speedometer (1 screw)(2 electrical connectors)(1 cable)
3. Disconnect the gas line and vacuum line at the fuel valve.
4. Remove the gas tank (2 bolts)
5. Drain the coolant system. (1 drain plug)
6. Remove the ignition coils and spark plug wires (4 bolts)
7. Remove the radiator fan, hang it out of the way. (6 bolts)
7a. remove the ignition switch bracket and let hang (2 bolts)
8. Remove the two coolant hoses to the head (2 screws)
9. Remove the valve cover bolts (6 bolts)
10. Carefully lift the valve cover off. Be careful as there are 2 small half inch long steel tubes (alignment pins?) inside the valve cover in the center that might pop out and fall someplace where you don't want them. They will either stick with the engine block, or stick with the cover as you remove the cover. Pay attention to them. Be careful with the valve cover gasket so you do not tear it, or you'll have to buy another.
11a. Remove the delicate copper oil feeder tubes so you won't accidentaly damage them during the valve adjustment.
11b. Adjust the valves as shown in the other references above.
.005" to .007" clearance on the intake valves
.007" to .009" clearance on the exhaust.
Clearances get smaller as your engine wears. I set mine to the larger side.

Reinstall the oil feeder tubes, clean the gasket surfaces, install the 2 little tubes (alignment pins?), and put everything back together. You'll have to apply a wee bit of RTV silicone to the valve cover gasket where it bumps out in four places. See the manual. Reassemble everythig else in reverse order.

It sounds and looks more complicated than it is. Take your time. Don't rush.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by les.izmoore; 06-07-2009 at 12:16 AM. Reason: spelling ,grammar, 'rithmatic, dyslexia, and dengue fever.
les.izmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
jmak

Looks good. Seems mostly a lot of bolts to remove. Tx for the very good write up. You are correct, just do it and it will not really be as hard as it may seem. I rebuilt, if you want to call it that, my carbs and that was fairly easy. I also removed a seat key lock ---twice --- once to that the lock it and have a key made and the next to put the lock back. Not bad at all. I suppose on the valve tear out, watching what goes where is a good idea. Thank you again. I If it do the valves, I will post that I did them but it may not be too soon. Jmak
jmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:40 PM   #3
ggreene1

JMak,
I just adjusted my valves today... I bought a service manual as I plan on keeping this bike for a long, long time... I found it very helpful to write down every step in a spiral notebook and then go from the bottom of the page back up to put it back together... Worked well... It is pretty straight forward and not too tough if you have a manual and are pretty mechanically inclined... Just take your sweet time and be careful to put it back in exact reverse order...
Ride Safe...
ggreene1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
brown recluse

Great write up Les! I know that everyone will find the instructions very helpful. I followed those same links you posted when I adjusted the valves on my friend's Ninja. If I remember correctly, at step 8, the two screws were difficult to remove without stripping the heads. We ended up going back with allen head bolts.

Last edited by brown recluse; 07-10-2009 at 12:58 PM.
brown recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
ggreene1

Default stripped screw on coolant tubes... FIX...

Hey Guys and Gals, For anyone who is going to adjust their own valves (which is really no big deal, if you're good with a wrench) I invented a way to get the screws out of the coolant tubes without stripping them... I took a philips screw driver tip (just the tip) put it in a small nut driver tip (the ones you would put in a screw gun, not a hand held nutdriver) then I put that assembly in a socket on a ratchet (put electrical tape on the assembly so nothing would fall apart and end up inside the block... That, as they say, would be bad) Then when you put it on the screw, it fits under the frame, so it is going straight into the screw head... that's the secret to not stripping the head...You can also wedge your hand between the frame and socket wrench to make sure that it stays in the screw head... I actually stripped the first one a little bit before I invented this setup and this assembly still got the screw out with a little pressure... I did put allens back in, but as for getting the screw out, this setup worked really well... If anyone wants a picture of it (in case I didn't explain it clearly enough) just let me know and I'll be happy to post one...

Last edited by ggreene1; 07-10-2009 at 11:45 AM. Reason: sp
ggreene1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:19 PM   #6
brown recluse

Using the steps listed by les.ismoore at the start of this thread, here are pictures to go along with the valve check:

Start with the tools you need. Not pictured: Allen wrench, flashlight, magnet.

Quote:
1. Remove the seat (1 bolt)

Quote:
2. Remove the Speedometer (1 screw)(2 electrical connectors)(1 cable)

Old 07-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #7
brown recluse

Quote:
3. Disconnect the gas line and vacuum line at the fuel valve.
4. Remove the gas tank (2 bolts)
5. Drain the coolant system. (1 drain plug)

Old 07-25-2009, 11:26 PM   #8
brown recluse

Quote:
6. Remove the ignition coils and spark plug wires (4 bolts)
7. Remove the radiator fan, hang it out of the way. (6 bolts)

Quote:
8. Remove the two coolant hoses to the head (2 screws)

Old 07-25-2009, 11:30 PM   #9
brown recluse

Quote:
9. Remove the valve cover bolts (6 bolts)

It was suggested in another source to use a shop vac to clean up around the spark plug before going further so that no sand or other debris would fall in the motor.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:34 PM   #10
brown recluse

Remove the spark plugs but be careful that nothing gets in the motor through the holes. I loosened my plugs but left them sitting loosely in their holes.

Remove the two covers on the left hand side of the motor. The lower one has a bolt that you attach a socket to so you can rotate the motor. Turn the motor clockwise.

Rotate the motor so that you can see "C" in the small viewing hole and the cam lobes on side 1 (right side) are pointing up. This is Top Dead Center (The Haynes manual says to rotate the motor to "T," but this is not TDC.)

Quote:
11a. Remove the delicate copper oil feeder tubes so you won't accidentaly damage them during the valve adjustment.

Last edited by brown recluse; 07-25-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement