Radiator Fan - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 05-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
MattB

Default Radiator Fan

OK, does anyone know at what temp the fan is supposed to come on at? I don't think I have ever seen of heard it come on. Yesterday it was 97 here and riding home it was a little hot, to say the least. At each stop, I looked down and it wasn't on. Any ideas/suggestions?
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
Daboo311
Top Contributor

Dude! It ain't working.

Get a new one before you ride again.
Daboo311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Kawrider
BOTM Winner, May 2013

Garage

Sounds like you might have a bad temp sensor. The fan on my 2010 900 comes on pretty steady whenthe outside temp is in the 90's.
Kawrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
ShadaarLogath

Mine comes on in the 80-90's as well. You really ought to have it checked.
Throttle lock
Passenger floor boards
Mustang seat with driver backrest
Highway pegs
PCV with Autotune
Kuryakyn power point
Highway bars
Kuryakyn highway pegs
Former owner of a 2008 Honda Rebel
Owner of a 1994 Honda Magna
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2...s/IMG_1636.jpg
ShadaarLogath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:40 AM   #5
rick
Top Contributor

Garage

Fan on my 05 800 almost never comes on. Have quite a few high 90 low 100 days here to. May be ok, but to be safe, should get checked. Even 2 hrs shop fee cheaper than. Ew motor!
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:01 AM   #6
Sojourner
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
OK, does anyone know at what temp the fan is supposed to come on at? I don't think I have ever seen of heard it come on. Yesterday it was 97 here and riding home it was a little hot, to say the least. At each stop, I looked down and it wasn't on. Any ideas/suggestions?
First, remove the left side cover and open the fuse box. Locate the fuse for the cooling fan and check that it's OK. Next do what the dealer will do with it. Finish your ride and park the bike with the engine running. If the high temperature light comes on before the fan then you know there's a problem.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:13 AM   #7
silenthill
Top Contributor

Quote:
Take it for a ride.....stop at a location and have a smoke,,,,,and let it idle for ten minutes. If the fan doesn't come on it's not working. My fan RARELY comes on.....if at all! But, it will when i let it idle on HOT day. We do have a temp light on our bikes.....is it ever on?..sheesh, i think we do....fi, oil and temp?
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).
silenthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
Ol'Yella

before you try to overheat your bike. check the fuse, then the fan is very simple two wire setup. grab some old speaker wire or any wire you have really and run voltage(from battery) directly to the fan. It should spin. if it does you know that it good and you can go on to check your temp sensor and other connections. I dislike the idea of prolonged idling with not knowing the condition of the fan. It is hard on the engine and if it really isn't working you may cause damage even if shut down when the light comes on as you aren't circulating any coolant at that point it will sit and bake when shut down.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #9
txmedic712

Garage

Quote:
I had the same problem a few years ago. Bought a fan motors for her off ebay, installed it two years back just because I was paranoid. Turned out I had a good reason to be, the new fan comes on all the time when it hits the mid 80's to 90's here. When she is running the temp is fine, but at idle that fan should kick on fairly quick in that temperature range.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #10
silenthill
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol'yella View Post
before you try to overheat your bike. Check the fuse, then the fan is very simple two wire setup. Grab some old speaker wire or any wire you have really and run voltage(from battery) directly to the fan. It should spin. If it does you know that it good and you can go on to check your temp sensor and other connections. I dislike the idea of prolonged idling with not knowing the condition of the fan. It is hard on the engine and if it really isn't working you may cause damage even if shut down when the light comes on as you aren't circulating any coolant at that point it will sit and bake when shut down.
(better advice)...lol.
Kuryakyn Grand Tourer luggage bag.
Kuryakyn air filter cover.
170/80/15 Metzler rear tire.
Fire and Ice passenger floorboards.
Stage 2 debaffle (screens left intact).
silenthill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement