Throttle Lock! - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > General Vulcan Talk

Old 04-26-2012, 01:29 AM   #1
justin_young

Garage
Default Throttle Lock!

I have installed a trottle lock on my VN900 classic. It is the Brakeaway products throttle lock. It is great! A bit on the pricey side but worth it in my book!!!
  1. Love the way that the lock disengages with the brake lever, no fumbling with the lock switch in case of an emergency like on the cheaper models
  2. Super easy to install, you will be testing on the road in no time!
  3. And VERY stylish! looks like it belongs on the bike!

Check them out at their web page at http://www.brakeawayproducts.com/

I am not a dealer, nor do I work for brakeaway products, I researched it online and liked the reviews. I did not buy through their site, I bought slightly cheaper on ebay. Don't take my word for it, do your own research and decide for yourself
justin_young is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Strompilot
Top Contributor

I just installed one on my 9er. It works well and is well worth the money. Adjusting it to hold the throttle open without slowly rolling off is tricky to get it just right, but overall, for giving your throttle hand a short break, it's great. The brake lever disengage is a great safety feature.

'09 650 VStrom
Sharing my wife's '09 Classic LT (sold)
Strompilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
helljack6

Aside from the brake lever disengagement, a girl's/woman's $.05 hair tie double wrapped and fitted in much the same way does the exact same thing.
-Hair tie Throttle Lock
"Ride it like you stole it"
helljack6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
OldNewRider

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by helljack6 View Post
Aside from the brake lever disengagement, a girl's/woman's $.05 hair tie double wrapped and fitted in much the same way does the exact same thing.
How does that work?
What kind of hair tie?
I'm all for saving $200.

Todd
OldNewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
bosco
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_young View Post
I have installed a trottle lock on my VN900 classic. It is the Brakeaway products throttle lock. It is great! A bit on the pricey side but worth it in my book!!!
  1. Love the way that the lock disengages with the brake lever, no fumbling with the lock switch in case of an emergency like on the cheaper models
  2. Super easy to install, you will be testing on the road in no time!
  3. And VERY stylish! looks like it belongs on the bike!

Check them out at their web page at http://www.brakeawayproducts.com/

I am not a dealer, nor do I work for brakeaway products, I researched it online and liked the reviews. I did not buy through their site, I bought slightly cheaper on ebay. Don't take my word for it, do your own research and decide for yourself
+1 Greatest thing since sliced bread. Love the brake disengagement feature. Installed mine over Kuryakyn ISO grips, and was easy using some soapy water (as discribed on install videos).

2010 900 Classic
bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
helljack6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNewRider View Post
How does that work?
What kind of hair tie?
I'm all for saving $200.

Todd
Ask you and you will receive, here's a picture of what it looks like. As you will see, it's nothing more than a hair tie wrapped twice around the throttle and slipped between the end of the throttle and the side wall of the master brake cylinder. It's a manual throttle at this point and holds nicely, the tighter the wrap (I've tried up to four) the stronger the hold as well as the slower the response in throttle. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cost for a whole package of these "throttle locks" (30-ish) $2.58 at Walmart.

-Hair tie Throttle Lock
Old 04-26-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
GeoSeth

I just picked some up from the store at lunch after this thread reminded me of the hair tie option. The cramp buster worked well enough on the trip this weekend but is pretty uncomfortable for around town riding.

Anyway. I twisted one on there and the throttle holds exactly where I set it. I'll be testing it tonight on the way home. It looks very promising.
GeoSeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
Romans5.8
Super Moderator

Garage

I like the hair tie idea but... if I was gonna do it, I'd do the brake-away. The 'aside from the disengage' is the part I'm not comfortable doing without. I like the idea of shutting it off with the brake.

Here's my question-

With the brake away, can you adjust the tension so that, say, your riding on the highway, you can make little throttle adjustments as you ride?

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT "Couch-a-Saki/Mini-Bagger"

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)
Romans5.8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
Dean

Garage

[QUOTE=GeoSeth;208174]I just picked some up from the store at lunch after this thread reminded me of the hair tie option. The cramp buster worked well enough on the trip this weekend but is pretty uncomfortable for around town riding.

I would never think of using my cramp buster or throttle lock IN TOWN......scare me!!!!
Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
helljack6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoSeth View Post
I just picked some up from the store at lunch after this thread reminded me of the hair tie option. The cramp buster worked well enough on the trip this weekend but is pretty uncomfortable for around town riding.

Anyway. I twisted one on there and the throttle holds exactly where I set it. I'll be testing it tonight on the way home. It looks very promising.
Let me clear this up, I don't intentionally set this during around town riding. Since it makes the throttle "stiffer and slower to respond" I have to manually roll on or roll off the throttle. All it's intended to do is give my hand a chance to relax without letting go of the throttle handle at all in the event I have to react to something quickly when I'm already cruising at highway speeds. In town riding, I manually roll on and roll off the throttle, the hand NEVER releases the grip.
-Hair tie Throttle Lock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement