Need Advise (Saddlebags & Windshield) - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 04-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
tommyarmour

Default Need Advise (Saddlebags & Windshield)

Hey's Guys I am starting to shop for some Saddlebags and a Windshield for my 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic.

Here is what I am looking for.

1. What kind of Saddlebags are you using?
2. What kind of Windshield are you using?

Any and all experience's you may of had with cheaper products.

1. Links to affordable sites with either Saddlebags, or Windshields.

Where did you guys buy yours? I am a serious buyer and really need both. I do not want to pay 400+ for the OEM Vulcan Windshield(I really like it) but it's simply too much.

PVC leather for saddlebags YES or NO?

Links, advice, what your using, pics, any and all help would be much appreciated.
tommyarmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
siriusjoe
Banned

Memphis Shades and National Cycle both make good quality windshields that are less expensive than OEM. When I had my 900, I had a Memphis Shades "Fats" windshield and lowers, and I was very happy with that.

With saddlebags, you get what you pay for. I used Edge Leather Model 102 bags mounted on Easy Brackets. Not cheap, but excellent quality. I wouldn't recommend any cheap bags, you'll just end up replacing them next spring.

siriusjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
JBSurf

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13347173019402

I went with one of these, really dig it, not big $$$ either, plus not pushing a sheet of glass around /

`09 900 SE
Slipscreen Stealth windscreen
Cobra Swepts
Cobra Powrflo Air Intake
Cobra Fi 2000
HID headlight
Mustang 1piece Vintage Seat
Mustang SaddleBags
Removed grease fittings
JBSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
tommyarmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusjoe View Post
Memphis Shades and National Cycle both make good quality windshields that are less expensive than OEM. When I had my 900, I had a Memphis Shades "Fats" windshield and lowers, and I was very happy with that.

With saddlebags, you get what you pay for. I used Edge Leather Model 102 bags mounted on Easy Brackets. Not cheap, but excellent quality. I wouldn't recommend any cheap bags, you'll just end up replacing them next spring.

I have been looking at a Memphis Shades Fats. Do you know of a place to get one that is affordable or a link to a good company. I of course did a google search, checked ebay, amazon, and seems as if everyone carries em. Looks like you have or had the 19". Would you of considered going with the 15" or 17"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBSurf View Post

I went with one of these, really dig it, not big $$$ either, plus not pushing a sheet of glass around /
I considered that type to, does it actually block the wind or bugs from your face on the highway at 65 for a few hundred miles?
Old 04-17-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
tommyarmour

I have been seeing the ones on ebay for 50-60 dollars, handlebar mounted windshield that seems extremely easy to install and remove. But I have read and heard from other forum members that they look pretty tiny.

I do not plan on keeping the windshield on my bike for around town. But when I go on the occasional out of town trip, I don't want to fight the wind, or eat too many bugs. So I want something that looks good, is affordable, and can be removed and reinstalled semi easily.

I have never ridden a bike with a windshield but I am 44 years old and just decided comfort over style any day of the week.

Last edited by tommyarmour; 04-17-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
RBS2

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBSurf View Post

Does this mount to the handlebars/fork or is there mounting hardware needed? How much protection does it offer? I really like the look of this compared to the MS Fats. And at half the total price of the MS Batwing seems a bit for feasable.
  • Memphis Shades Zipper Pouch
  • Kuryakn ISO Grips - Black
  • Cobra Speedster Short Exhaust
  • K&N Air Filter
  • River Road Throw-Overs
  • Highway Bars
  • S&$T eating grins
RBS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
tommyarmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBS2 View Post
Does this mount to the handlebars/fork or is there mounting hardware needed? How much protection does it offer? I really like the look of this compared to the MS Fats. And at half the total price of the MS Batwing seems a bit for feasable.

I opened the link he supplied and clicked on the picture. That has a sort of intruction manual on how to connect it. Looks like from the pdf that it connects to the handlebars and forks.

http://slipstreamer.com/1page_SS-20_SS-28.pdf
Old 04-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
RBS2

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyarmour View Post
I opened the link he supplied and clicked on the picture. That has a sort of intruction manual on how to connect it. Looks like from the pdf that it connects to the handlebars and forks.

http://slipstreamer.com/1page_SS-20_SS-28.pdf
Yeah I noticed that after I posted. I also noticed though that it says this windshield doesn not fit the 900's. So I'm curious how they got mounted? Just a larger bracket?
  • Memphis Shades Zipper Pouch
  • Kuryakn ISO Grips - Black
  • Cobra Speedster Short Exhaust
  • K&N Air Filter
  • River Road Throw-Overs
  • Highway Bars
  • S&$T eating grins
RBS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
tommyarmour

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBS2 View Post
Yeah I noticed that after I posted. I also noticed though that it says this windshield doesn not fit the 900's. So I'm curious how they got mounted? Just a larger bracket?
Ahh, I didn't catch that one. Often I will be doing a search for products on Amazon and I will verify that it fits my Vulcan 900 and I get the same thing. This product will not fit the Vulcan 900 Classic. Frustrating.

And he has a custom, I own a classic. Do you own a classic too?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
07custom

I have the slipstreamer ss-32 and it works great, no buffeting for me or my wife.
Slip Streamer ss-32-20c and memphis shades lowers.
07custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement