My thread about Tsukayu Strong bags - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 04-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
Graybush
Top Contributor

Default My thread about Tsukayu Strong bags

So I finally got my Strong bags installed this week. The installation process is pretty well documented on these internets so I won’t go through the details, but some stuff does bear mentioning. Overall I like the bags and think I will enjoy them for a long time but they aren’t perfect. There are some imperfections in the paint. I have bubbles on my right lid. The hinges don’t feel super sturdy and I feel like I need to be gentle with them. Also, one of the brackets that came with my bags was bent so when I did the test fit, the bolt that attached the bracket to the bike was hitting the lid. I had to go back and put spacers between the bag and bracket to move it away until I can contact Tsukayu and hopefully get a new bracket on the way.

Now that the bad stuff is out of the way, the bags and brackets do feel pretty solid. They came with two sets of spacers, one set about 1” and the other closer to about ¼”. There were also four 60mm bolts and some shorter (15-20mm) bolts for the bags themselves. I went to Lowe’s and bought 40mm bolts so I could use the smaller spacers with a couple of washers to get the bags closer to the fender. The 60mm bolts were too long to use with the smaller spacers and the shorter bolts were too short.

Since the proof is in the pictures, here you go. The total install took me about four hours but I did it by myself and tried to take my time. It would have been really nice to have an extra set of hands but it can be done alone.

The way they are packaged once removed from the fiberglass box:

Hardware selection:

They’re hard to make out in this picture, but the bubbles are certainly there:

Washers on top were included with the bags. I replaced all of them with larger fender washers:

This is the bent bracket. As you can see, with me holding the bolt in place, the lid won’t open without big damage to the paint:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
Graybush
Top Contributor

From behind, using the large spacers:

Small spacers on the left, large spacers on the right:

Small spacers on both sides:

Finished product:

Old 04-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
Poncho Villa
wocka, wocka, wocka

gb, several others have these bags and are happy with them. Not sure what you had to give for them if they meet yor expectations.
I bought a set of Jumbo strongs with the Top case included on sale for $1200. I was not pleased with the product as my expectations were higher for the price I paid. I sold that set. If we're to do it again would pony up for the Patriots. Just my opinion is all. Ponchout
Poncho Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
whiting57
Lifetime Premium

Graybush ... nice write up and pictorial. Any bag is certainly a pain to install by yourself unless you have 6 arms. Did you think of trying them with out the spacers. I could damn near install mine direct to the frame except the caliper stuck out just a little to far. Your ride looks great .. nice job.

Cheers Maurice

2009 Classic LT Bagger... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer.

2010 Custom ... Mutazu Luggage, Pirelli 200 Rear, Saddleman Solo Seat, Kuryakyn Hypercharger, Batwing Fairing, Cobra FI2000 Power Pro, freedom performance exhaust
whiting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
Toforo

Nice - great pics!
I recently added the (faux) leather hard-bags made by Mustang that match my Mustang seat and the bags look exactly like yours - same style, same "lines" etc.... except they are covered with the (faux) leather.

I like the way the look and LOVE how much they hold!

I'm just curious though - was there a reason you didn't go with one of the "EasyBracket" mounts?

I used the quick-disconnect (and key-lockable) EasyBracket mounts and the bags "hang" exactly the same as yours.

Nice job on the install........ mine looked like it would require at least ONE second-set of hands so I had my local mechanic join my efforts.

VFW Life Member
NRA Distinguished Life Member
Old Sailors ROCK ! ! !
Toforo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
Tallannie
Top Contributor

nice job. I like that you got the bags aligned correctly. OFten I see the bags tipping up or down on bikes and that looks dorky to my eye... :-)....

yeah they need spacers for sure for the bolt clearance...and bigger washers.... and extra space for clearing the belt guard ( on a V2K anyway).... but mine have performed well over time... the hinges do hold up ...and they dont leak in the rain ...and the locks work....and they hold a lot of stuff !

I even, um, tested their structural integrity once trying to hold up my 900 lb bike and they survived with only a slight scratch.... I have had other hard bags that would have been toast from that event....
Old 04-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
Skidaddle

Yeah mine tip up slightly because i put my bike on a craftsman jack,set up a table to hold the bag where i wanted it and didnt allow for the forward weight bias of the bike to tip the jack forward,i should have put a block under the front wheel to hold it back into place but,sometimes we overlook the obvious!

so i'm a dork but i can live with myself!!!!
Skidaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
whiting57
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
so i'm a dork but i can live with myself!!!!
You could enlarge the rear/ front holes to level them, just use bigger washers inside and out to cover up the " boo boo ".

2009 Classic LT Bagger... Batwing Fairing, Metzler 200 rear, Mutazu Hard Bags, Denray Hitch, Mustang Seat, Piggybacker Trailer.

2010 Custom ... Mutazu Luggage, Pirelli 200 Rear, Saddleman Solo Seat, Kuryakyn Hypercharger, Batwing Fairing, Cobra FI2000 Power Pro, freedom performance exhaust
whiting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #9
Tallannie
Top Contributor

eeek! didnt mean to insult anyone..

I have two sets of holes in my bags.... guess why ? LOL
Old 04-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
Poncho Villa
wocka, wocka, wocka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallannie View Post
I have two sets of holes in my bags.... guess why ? LOL
ventilation? ... you said to guess! Ok, maybe when you do the low rider thing?
Poncho Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement