seafoam - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Wrench Heads

Old 04-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
tommyj

Question seafoam

ive seen a few post about seafoam i just got a can i need to know how its used in the carb of a vn2000 direction say to warm engine up then shut down engine open throdle and spray for about 2 mins. than start engine than give gas lightly than go for a aggesive ride i have a thunder intake with a kn filter thats been cleaned once a year i was just thinking if i should clean the carb its running fine it does back fire a bit with arien nes rad. pipes but thats it is it a waste of time
tommyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
PatC
Lifetime Premium

Most people use the liquid in a can, pour it in the gas tank (I use about 4 ounces for a tank of gas; you can use however much you want if the bike is dirty in the carb/fuel system as it won't hurt anything) and ride a full tank through the bike. You can also put it in the crankcase with the oil, ride it a ways and then change the oil to clean a lot of gunk out of there.
light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,
detachable hard leather bags,
alarm, power port, clock,
and a cool cupholder
PatC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
tommyj

Default re sea foam

ok thanks patc ill try that
tommyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
sfair
Top Contributor

I would mix according to manufacturers directions as Seafoam contains comonents that are harmful to rubber components in higher concentrations.
sfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
PatC
Lifetime Premium

Well, I wouldn't dump the whole can in, but you can use up to 2 ounces per gallon of fuel, or half a pint. Any more than that would be a waste. But according to their website, there are no harmful components in it to rubber.

"For more than 65 years, Sea Foam has been proven to be safe for use in all engines, both diesel and gasoline, and won’t harm gaskets, seals or other internal components of the engine, fuel system or oil system. Sea Foam is a pure petroleum blend with no chemical additives. Sea Foam has been endorsed by numerous engine manufacturers, and is recommended by thousands of professional mechanics and service technicians throughout the U.S. and Canada."

Still, you rarely can go wrong following directions.
light bar, 2" risers,
Isogrips, Fatbar crashbars,
offset hiway pegs, tank bib,
passenger floorboards,
new brake pedal, throttle lock,
Cobra Lowboy Shotgun pipes,
Baron's Big Air relocated right side,
tombstone tail light,forkbag,
detachable hard leather bags,
alarm, power port, clock,
and a cool cupholder
PatC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
sfair
Top Contributor

First of all, I have to learn how to spell...what the heck is a comonent?
It says that it contains causes no harm, but in the fine print it probably states "When used according to manufactures directions".
It is kind of like alcohol in gasoline. In small doses, no harm done, but up the ratio and there is ugly all over the place!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
sfair
Top Contributor

My own personal opinion. I would never upset complex oil chemestry by the addition of Seafoam. Modern oils do their job so well that there really is nothing in your crankcase to remove that is worthwhile removing. Motorcycles, as a rule, are just not subjected to conditions that cause crankcase contamination such as starting in -30 degree weather, short trips to the corner store, no oil changes, etc. But this is my opinion only.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
Red Rider
Lifetime Premium

This is a quote from an e-mail I received from the makers of Sea Foam.

"Sea Foam contains 6% distilled IPA.to aid in moisture control.The other 94% is a blend of refined additive oils for cleaning and adding lubrication."
Old 04-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #9
helljack6

Seafoam is a great additive. Some people swear by it, others knock it even though they've never tried it. Get a can or two, use as per the MFGR's directions in your gas tank and your oil and come up with your own conclusion.

I personally use it in both my gas and my oil. I put about 4oz of seafoam into the oil about 100 miles out from an oil change and ride it like I stole it, oil comes out blacker than I've ever seen so I'd have to say from not using it, it's doing it's job at reliquifying sludge and gunk built up in my crankcase. Just run about 8oz through your gas tank (4oz per tank) and you'll do wonders on your carb without having to tear anything down.
-Hair tie Throttle Lock
"Ride it like you stole it"
helljack6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
Krooser
Premium Member

To get real technical....2 -4 glugs to a tank really does clean the fuel system out. You can put in the crankcase (with your oil) for an hour and will do a nice job cleaning your lifters etc. But I wouldn't do it unless your engine has started getting noisy.
Advertisement