Michelin Commander II - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1700

Old 03-19-2012, 06:28 AM   #1
dwainjohnson

Default Michelin Commander II

I have a 2010 Voyager and want the Commander II rear tire. My dealer's mechanic says the 180/65x16 which is the closet available size is too wide and will not work on the bike. Has anyone installed one of these on the rear of a Voyager? Were there any conflicts? I have 5,300 miles and only have 1/32" tread in the middle of the tire left. I will be lucky to get 6,000 miles out of the stock tire. This kind of mileage is ridiculous. Has anyone tried the Dunlop K555? It is available in the 170/70x16. I prefer the Michelin but if it does not fit will consider the Dunlop. Regardless I am not going back to the Bridgestone.

Thanks!
dwainjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
BrucerZX14
Top Contributor

Garage

I'm pretty sure other folks have used the 180/65x16 tire size. They should chime in whne they see this thread. I'm going with the Commander II when I need a new tire. My original set still has tread at 7800 miles so I'm not ready yet.
VN1500 kickstand
Chrome bling on passenger floorboards
Rockford Fosgate Amplifer
Polk Audio speakers
Kawasaki CB radio
Rear speaker kit
Vance & Hines Twin Slash slip-ons
Power Commander V
Portable XM radio thru AUX
Marvellas trailer hitch
Lower bag rails
Kuryakyn Tour-tech cruise peg mounts
Kuryakyn black ISO grips w/bar-end weight & red trim
BrucerZX14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
11NOMAD

Garage

This is the best tire size calculator i've found. http://www.csgnetwork.com/tireinfo4calc.html
According to it the 180/65/16 is 0.4 inches wider than the 170/70/16 and every thing else is so close it should not matter. Surely we have have room for a tire that is less than one half inch wider.
11NOMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
davidsheek
Top Contributor

Garage

I've got a 195 rear tire on mine and there is a little room left still.

2009 Vulcan Voyager ABS/ my "Blue Goose"
BIG 3 = PCV w/ Ign/Cobra Slip-ons/Thunder Air Kit
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Air Hawk2 seat cusion/Remote Control for house
National Cycle Fender Tips//Utopia Back Rest
Gorilla Alarm/Strebel Air Horn/14 in. Dark Shield
Kaw Rear Speakers/Galfer Break Pads
Garmin GPS, RAM mounted on break reservoir
Chrome Mug Holder/Extra Chrome/Wrapped Pipes
Flags and Mounts from "Rumbling Pride"
Dunlop SP5000 Car Tire /AMSOIL & Filter
davidsheek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
Einstein
Lifetime Premium

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwainjohnson View Post
I have a 2010 Voyager and want the Commander II rear tire. My dealer's mechanic says the 180/65x16 which is the closet available size is too wide and will not work on the bike. Has anyone installed one of these on the rear of a Voyager? Were there any conflicts? I have 5,300 miles and only have 1/32" tread in the middle of the tire left. I will be lucky to get 6,000 miles out of the stock tire. This kind of mileage is ridiculous. Has anyone tried the Dunlop K555? It is available in the 170/70x16. I prefer the Michelin but if it does not fit will consider the Dunlop. Regardless I am not going back to the Bridgestone.

Thanks!
My tire dealer, (not Kawi) sold me on the Michelin's and says no problem with the 180 on my vaquero, I'm just waiting for them to be delivered.
<SOLD> 2004 BobRR
VROC #9925
Dinosaur R/G #128
Phoenix, AZ
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
Top K

They're wrong - I just had a 180/65x16 mounted on my '09 Voyager. Went with Avon's. Now that I hear about the Michelin Commander, wish I had gone with them.
PGR

Last edited by Top K; 03-19-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Top K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
twowheeladdict
Top Contributor

Garage

Every tire has a recommended wheel width and a recommended range of wheel widths that it will fit on. Also, the swingarm, belt, etc determine how wide a tire you can fit without rubbing things.

That said, the wider a tire you put on the stock rim the rounder the profile of that tire becomes which affects the actual diameter of the mounted tire and the contact patch. if you stay in the range of rim widths recommended for the tire you can consider it safe to mount if no parts rub on the tire.

Personally I chose to go with the 160/80B16 Dunlop E3 tire. I am more concerned with performance and longevity than I am with whether my tire looks wider than yours. I got 16,000 miles out of the last Dunlop E3 I installed on my bike and could have gone more if all I do is local riding. That size tire on the 1700 actually corrects for the speedo error as well as providing a flatter profile which increases the contact patch all the way to the floorboards scraping.

Good luck with what you decide to do.

I will be watching the Commander II reports and might try that next fall when I need to replace this rear tire.

see my garage for list of accessories
twowheeladdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:04 AM   #8
maxtech1

i have been told the Commander II in 180-65 16 fits. It has a higher load rating then the factory Bridgestone and is near the same total tire diameter. Also the Commander II is stated as having a 25000 mile life. Win Win Win for us with the VV. This will be my next tire when my Bridgestones wear out.
maxtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #9
BrucerZX14
Top Contributor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtech1 View Post
i have been told the Commander II in 180-65 16 fits. It has a higher load rating then the factory Bridgestone and is near the same total tire diameter. Also the Commander II is stated as having a 25000 mile life. Win Win Win for us with the VV. This will be my next tire when my Bridgestones wear out.
These are what I'm going to after my stock tires are done.
VN1500 kickstand
Chrome bling on passenger floorboards
Rockford Fosgate Amplifer
Polk Audio speakers
Kawasaki CB radio
Rear speaker kit
Vance & Hines Twin Slash slip-ons
Power Commander V
Portable XM radio thru AUX
Marvellas trailer hitch
Lower bag rails
Kuryakyn Tour-tech cruise peg mounts
Kuryakyn black ISO grips w/bar-end weight & red trim
BrucerZX14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
Dr.G

I put a Dunlop American Elite 180 65 16 on the rear of my 2011 Voyager last year in Sturgis. Now after 13000 miles the tire still looks new. This duel compound tire is awesome. It handles better, rides better and looks better with the extra size. It should go 20K. I run 41 psi.
Dr.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement