Power commander vs Fi2000 Power Pro Tuner - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > General Vulcan Forums Discussions > Engine Work

Old 12-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
weber81

Default Power commander vs Fi2000 Power Pro Tuner

I'm in the process of installing Cobra speedster long pipes on my 09 vn900 - dealer recommended installing the dynojet power commander at the same time. I've done some reading about Cobra's Fi2000 Power Pro tuner with continuous variable tuning. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding best choice between the two with pros and cons? Or, any other choices to consider for performance and worry-free fuel-air mix?
weber81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
JerseyRider

Question Great post

I'm in the same process and would like to hear what some of our veteran riders think.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #3
weber81

Default Power Pro

After posting the thread a few days ago I asked a couple of service types at a few of the dealerships here in Utah. General consensus seemed to be that either (power commander or Power Pro) would suffice but that the plug in, forget-it and go feature of the Power Pro along with continuous variable tuning may be enough to seriously consider going with it. The downside is the price - a couple hundred bucks more for the power pro.

I've read on more than a few threads that you can just go ahead and change exhaust systems without installing a tuner - again, most of the commercial types say that you're getting the nice sound without performance that adding a tuner will give you. Also indicated that backfiring and popping is an issue during decel without the tuner.

I think I'm going to go with the Cobra speedster longs, Cobra Fi2000 Power Pro Tuner, and Hi Flow K & N Filter and see what happens.....
Old 12-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
1700Classic
Premium Member

Probably the biggest power gain for the money would be to change the air intake. Adding a K&N filter to the stock box will give you a better filter that should last the life of the bike but it will not make a considerable difference in performance. A fuel box of some kind is needed when changing the intake. Another box you have not considered is the Cobra Fi2000r which has adjustable pots that come preset from Cobra. The best way to tune the box is on a dyno although Cobra includes a process to do this. This is a cheaper alternative to the PC with custom map and Cobra CVT box.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #5
weber81

Good comments, 1700 Classic - I'm looking into the intakes as we speak....
Old 12-24-2011, 02:14 AM   #6
Johnny
Kiwi Voyager

Garage

dont forget the Dynojet PC-V with the autotune kit is ALSO meant to tune dynamically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weber81 View Post
I'm in the process of installing Cobra speedster long pipes on my 09 vn900 - dealer recommended installing the dynojet power commander at the same time. I've done some reading about Cobra's Fi2000 Power Pro tuner with continuous variable tuning. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding best choice between the two with pros and cons? Or, any other choices to consider for performance and worry-free fuel-air mix?

Live life to the full TODAY, You are a long time dead.
Vulcan VN1700BAF 2010.
Kawa Comms kit,
Ipod adaptor Kit, Ipod Touch Gen2,
Garmin 550 Satnav on bar mounted Ram Mount,
Top box Rack,
Cobra TriOval Slipon Mufflers,
K&N filter.
Stebel Airhorns in chrome box,
14" Mid Screen
(Power Commander-V & Auto Tune Kit yet to be fitted, cant get it to work on the nz version 02 circuit)
Vulcan Travel Bags (inserts for Panniers)
North Shore, Auckland, New Zealand
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
dont forget the Dynojet PC-V with the autotune kit is ALSO meant to tune dynamically.
+10

The autotune on the dynojet actually uses a 5 wire O2 sensor to actually read the mixture. IMO, this is one of two ways to properly tune an engine and is the best. The other method would to teach yourself to read plugs. The power pro plus attempts to tune using an accelerometer. I find that to be a good guess at best. I don't see how it could effectively tune at steady state cruise. Even if you don't want to invest in the dynojet autotune feature, you can find someone with the same bike using autotune and use their map and it'd be close for you.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
weber81

Thanks Lazarus - the speedster pipes I'm considering installing don't have 02 sensor ports so would have to do the mechanical tune I'd imagine or rethink the cobra longs. What's the down side of doing the one time mechanical tuning and/or can you recommend a comparable exhaust that would take the autotune?
Old 01-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
satyride

The BASIC stage one for all motorcycles will gain 12-15%Hp, 9-15%Tk ,using fuel flow modifications, air filter capacity enlargement,full exhaust system changes(head to tail),Dyno tuning will get you max from set up if you can find experienced ,reliable ,honest ,no BS numbers shop.Stage 2 + is custom air box and really fine,timely tuning ,head work(matched or enlarged valves, flowing intake and exhaust ports,gasket matching-grinding, decking the cylinders (block)raising CR to reasonable street levels (10.3-11.0) this requires new pistons-wrist pins,bearings, rings ,dynamic-static and rotating balance of crankshaft and over bore of cylinders or new sleeves, quality seating of rings, multi lapped valve seating with possible seat inserts of copper-bronze or other known metal specialty seats or new titanium /stainless valves,removing all EPA jungle of hoses and recirculation of spent gases, larger injectors or cards and throttle bodies, dual intake manifold, cam with moderated overlap-higher lift,new springs/shims/or rocker arms (pushrod V-2,oil pressure increase,oil cooler, larger capacity oil tank, but still keep cam set up to provide street Tk useful because that is what you want for a street cruiser in the USA.Changes range from +30%from stage 1 to 45%.iT IS RARELY WORTH THE EXPENSE,TIME FOR A HEAVY WEIGHT MACHINE BUILT AS THEY ARE FOR USA ROADS and traffic enforcement laws. Bikes are fast enough after a clean up to stage 1.Most riders will find themselves in trouble with larger set of mods. I did not even mention brake/suspension systems which should be upgraded at that point also,tyres prehaps too.Just enjoy the ride and save the expense and the effort to keep the modified stage 2+ bike spot on.Costs using much effort ,E-bay,swap meets, favors, etc..Stage 1=$1000, stage $ 3-5,000+ Murphy's law 25%, the electronics will be complex and besure you understand your CPU limits before having to buy or make a custom platform necessary for it all to come together

Last edited by satyride; 01-17-2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: spelling
satyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
Big Papa Peep

Default German Engineering Speed Chip

For those of you pondering,Cobra or power commander, there is another
choice. I have an 09 Vulcan custom with road burner after-market exhaust.
I wanted to add a K&N high flow filter, so I had to decide which one?
While doing a search on ebay I found this problem solver for $18.00 bucks.
It is a bike specfic V-Speed-Chip. Wires in the IAT line. 45 mins. to one
hour install time. No soldering just crimp on a couple of conecters. I'm not
easy to impress but this thing works great, it's amazing, when I emailed
them, I told them what my set-up was, they said an honest 17HP increase.
The only dyno I have is the seat of my pants,but the difference, is amazing.
The tork in 5th. gear, just keeps on pulling. So anywho, $18.00 bucks versus
$300.00, to me it's a no brainer.
Big Papa Peep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement