anti-freeze leak - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 900

Old 11-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
frets21

Default anti-freeze leak

A couple of weeks ago I came out and found a drip of anti freeze about the size of a quarter on the driveway under my bike (08 900 lt) could not find any trace of where it may be leaking from. Checked my anti-freeze it was OK rode to work no problems ,rode for 2 weeks with a long ride thrown in, then I came out this morning once again a small drip .Anyone know where I may find a leak? Thanks
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
BOBKAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by frets21 View Post
A couple of weeks ago I came out and found a drip of anti freeze about the size of a quarter on the driveway under my bike (08 900 lt) could not find any trace of where it may be leaking from. Checked my anti-freeze it was OK rode to work no problems ,rode for 2 weeks with a long ride thrown in, then I came out this morning once again a small drip .Anyone know where I may find a leak? Thanks
I have an 09 Custom and I had a problem with leaks at the hose connections on the top of the motor where the hoses were clamped onto the fittings going into the cylinders. Tightening the clamps helped but didn't cure it all together. I wound up replacing a short section of hose with the OEM factory formed piece and new clamps. In my case I noticed a white film showing up on the fins on the cylinders. I don't know if this is what's happening in your situation or not but I've been told it wasn't that uncommon. Hope this is of some help to you. RIDE SAFE.
BOBKAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
frets21

Thanks Bobkay, will look closely at that
Old 11-22-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
xxxxxxRTL Rider

If you look directly under the motor,more towards the right side...you'll see a small hole about 1/8" in diameter. I call it the "weep hole" and it's related to the water pump. I had the mechanical seal replaced in mine when it was doing that,and it still does it from time to time. More so when it's real hot out or I have been running it hard. Since I had my mechanic replace the mechanical seal,and it still does it now and then I havn't worried about it since it's not even enough to form a big enough drip to drop off...just runs out the hole a bit then dries up.

Last edited by xxxxxxRTL Rider; 11-22-2011 at 06:36 PM.
xxxxxxRTL Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
at-home-daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTL Rider View Post
If you look directly under the motor,more towards the right side...you'll see a small hole about 1/8" in diameter. I call it the "weep hole" and it's related to the water pump. I had the mechanical seal replaced in mine when it was doing that,and it still does it from time to time. More so when it's real hot out or I have been running it hard. Since I had my mechanic replace the mechanical seal,and it still does it now and then I havn't worried about it since it's not even enough to form a big enough drip to drop off...just runs out the hole a bit then dries up.
Mine does the same...like you, too, though, never had enough for a drop to hit the ground.

Right side:

Left side:

*Hard-Krome 2.5" Strippers with Smartpartz Hard Kore Baffles
*Cobra Short Sissybar, Pad & Insert *Leatherworks 312 Chopper Bag *Small/Med. Windshield
at-home-daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:06 AM   #6
frets21

Hey RTL, I checked out the area you replied about and that is exactly where the leak is coming from.Unfortunately for me, it is leaving a small drip on the driveway. Was it expensive to get this seal replaced.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:07 AM   #7
frets21

Oh yeah
Thanx for the info RTL
Old 11-25-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
xxxxxxRTL Rider

My mechanic runs his own shop,so it was cheaper than a dealer,Apparently you have to drain the oil and antifreeze out to replace the seal. The cost of the seal was under $20.00 but it's the labor,new oil and antifreeze that gets ya. Since I bought all the materials/fluids and brought them to him,I think the labor was around $100.00 to replace the seal if I remember correctly.Like I said, the antifreeze still comes out a bit from time to time,but not like it used to. My mechanic told me not to worry about it to begin with since I never really seemed to notice a loss in antifreeze from the reservoir tank,but I can be a little anal when it comes to maintaining things on my bike,lol
xxxxxxRTL Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:50 PM   #9
frets21

You and me both ,Thanks again
Old 11-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
CRUISERDON
Top Contributor

Garage

Remember that these water pumps DO NOT like SILICATE in the coolant, it is abrasive and will devour the ceramic seal in pump.
'97 VN1500 91 Cubes Of Custom CLASSIC
original owner
Vance & Hine 2to1
engine, forks, ignition & carb mod's
WebCam cam & rockers hard weld & grind
NEW TOP END, NO LOOKS ALL GO GO
Maxx intake manifold system & super G carb 44mm
CRUISERDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement