2004 Vulcan classic 1600 - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums > Motorcycle Models > Vulcan 1600

Old 11-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
urus

Default 2004 Vulcan classic 1600

I recently purchased a 2004 vulcan classic 1600 with 3800 miles. I am curious to know if there are any diferences with the newer 1600 classics which appear to be made up to 2009
urus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
angelo
Top Contributor

Welcome. I too have an 04 classic. As far as I know, other than a few early ones in 03, they are the same all the way to the end.

It's a good bike. I have added stuff to basically make it like a nomad except with soft bags. From just under 3K when I got it a few years back to almost 17K today, it has done well. Enjoy the ride.
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog http://leroylanes.blogspot.com/
angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #3
urus

Thanks Angelo I appreciate the info. The former owner told me it had $4,000 in add ons.
Corbin seat with backres, windshield, bags, lowers, tach, etc. It is pearl in color. I paid $6,500 for it, which may be hight for the year, but with such low miles and all the add ons I figured the year did not matter that much.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
angelo
Top Contributor

Didn't matter to me either. I wouldn't care if mine was an 04 or 08.

Of course, make sure the tires are ok with no dry rot. I replaced mine early this summer with 12K on them. Just worn, no problems associated with age.

It is always a good idea to change brake / clutch fluid - pretty easy to do.

Freshen up the antifreeze - I did this half way by draining reservoir and refilling each spring. I know draining is better, but not in the cards for time to spend yet.

My battery still works (put on a tender each winter). I imagine it will fade soon.

I guess the age can effect the front end oil / springs, but that is quite a job and will just have to wait.

That's about all that I can think of that would be age related. I am sure I am missing something....
PGR #192992

Ride Reports Blog http://leroylanes.blogspot.com/
angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #5
rjako

Is the 2003 Model a troubled one? First year Model?
rjako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
urus

I do not know if the 2003 had problems. But I think they may have had some recalls.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
slaponte
Top Contributor

I have a 2003 and all I have seen is some issue with oil preassure and blowing off the oil filter. If I understood correctly is only certain serial numbers. I have changed my filter a few times and never have had an issue at all.

Another thing I have seen a few comment about is the kickstand up switch seems to take a beating. But I would imagine that can happen to any size Vulcan.

My 03 has been great. I had to change the battery right when I got it (around 09), other than that just mods and oil changes. I have improved windshield, Mustang seat, driver backrest, Mutazu hard bags, Nomad dual exhaust, stereo, gps, and other odds and ends.

Welcome and post pics when you have a chance.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
rjako

Default 2003 Model Recalls

Thanks for the reply. I've called the dealer and when they ran the Vin number, it came back as everything already being done. I do have another question if you don't mind? The oil filter on my bike is the (canister) type. With all the recalls on the bike already being done, I guess the (canister) is the way it's supposed to be. I thought that maybe they would have changed it to a normal (spin On) type of oil filter. Does your 2003 Model have the (Canister) type of oil filter? Thanks again for the reply and that is one Beautiful Bertha you have there. Love that color Blue... I'll get some photo's up when I figure it out...lol
rjako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #9
pearlcrystalwhite16

I have the 2004 Vulcan Classic 1600 in Pearl White, metallic. I love the bike to bits. I fell in love with the color first. I have to admit it's the first time I really wanted to buy a bike based on the color.

However, I have had the bike over 2 years now and have put on 13,000kms since. I had a big issue my my gas tank. There is a recall on some years for the 1600's because the gas tank can leak at the bottom seam under the seat where it mounts. But my serial number did not come up as a recall when it was run through Kawasaki. Therefore I had a two month battle by taking my bike and going through my local Kawaski dealer. They had to send pictures and everything to prove the tank was leaking so bad that the gas was streaming out all over the left side of my bike and back to the rear on the driveshaft, etc. Anyway, in the end I finally got the recall honored on my bike and it took two months to get a new tank because they first shipped the wrong color and I had to wait for the right one to be in stock. I was very glad in the end, since the tank in Canada would have cost over $1500.00.

So, I say inspect the tank closely for leaks and otherwise if all other recalls or problems are done, then you will have a great bike to enjoy for a long time.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #10
slaponte
Top Contributor

Mine has a spin on. I use those, I have been out for whole day drives, up to 90mph, very hot, etc and never have had a leak or had one blow off..

I would think a solution to the gas leak would be a newer tank. They come up on eBay every now and then for a good price. That or take yours off and have it coated inside and get it over with.

One other thing I have had experience with : there is a fan switch on the bottom rail of the radiator. It has two wires on it. If these wires don't have good contact the radiator fan won't come on, the bike can overheat, coolant might leak out of the overfill bottle, etc, etc... so, when you get down there, pull the wire off, clean it, make sure it makes good contact when you push them on. A few seconds will give you many miles of peace of mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement